Sinvitation 7

Well it is all an interesting debate and all views are welcome .

Why change because change is and always will be a part of life .

Can you name things in your daily life that have not changed ?

If not for change and progress we would not have forums like this .

When I marched we had to wait for the weekly DCWORLD paper to come out to see what people were doing .

The rules of DCI have changed and it took more than a few votes for that change to happen .No one corps or person can vote change in alone .

Maybe it would be interesting if one corps didnt use any of the changes .

Still play bugles ( if they can find them )

Color presentation

Honor Guard

no front ensembe if it is played it is carried .

No tonal bass drums

Bring back the slings !

rotary and one piston only !

Flags cups on a sling !

on and on and on the list of changes since just DCI started . Would that interest you ?

As far as the 2011 Teal Sound Production I promise melody , Brass and percussion will dominate the sounds . It will be mixed with electronic sounds that are legal by rule .

Music of all kinds have been mixing electronics , brass and percussion for as long as they have been available .

I say it is about time DCI has decided to catch up and it is up to corps to use it well to create excitement.But that can be said about everything we have ever changed or used .

Healthy debate and I for one enjoy it !

Let's hypothetically say, that Teal Sound did what they did under a different title. They weren't associated with DCI but were just another performing group. Would you still not see them?

Dunno. If the rules were changed so that the Cleveland Orchestra, or Lady Gaga, could compete in DCI, would you go?

I'm trying to figure out if you hate electronics because you feel it's taking over "acoustic" drum corps and changing it or whatever or because you just hate electricity.

Well, in addition to what others have said --that by your reasoning, you should have no problems with woodwinds-- my answer is that I think acoustic is a defining characteristic of drum corps. As I've said many times before. The essential challenge of the activity is to produce a big beautiful sound in a large outdoor setting. Amplification makes the "big" too easy.

• 3 weeks later...

“If you don't create change, change will create you”

I dont know who coined this quote, but I think it is on point for this discussion. I, for one was not the biggest proponent of electronics in Drum Corps until I saw it being used effectively on the field. While there will always be "purists" that want only what was on the field since the early days of drum corps, I think it would be ridiculous for drum corps not to keep up with the times and be a "creator of change". Electronics, if used in conjunction with percussion and horns can create some beautiful sounds. Mix that in with the marching precision of a drum corps and it creates a product that people will enjoy. I applaud Randy, Jeff and the rest of the team at Teal for having an identity established and sticking by their guns. I believe people will really enjoy Sinvitation 7 this coming year. I havent seen any of this show, but know that these people are extremely talented and committed. Dont knock the show just because you are against electronics. It makes sense to just take it in and enjoy. Change is only limited to the imagination. Those that can't imagine will never accept change.

Some folk embrace change, others whine about it.

Vive le revolution!

Any chance the pit will wear real uniforms instead of WGI jammies?

Some folk embrace change, others whine about it.

Vive le revolution!

Change has become a 2 cent word these days. Everyone beings it up.

It's simply a marketing term that's popular to say today... tongue.gif

Change has become a 2 cent word these days. Everyone beings it up.

It's simply a marketing term that's popular to say today... tongue.gif

but wouldn't DCP and indeed DCI be a much more boring place without it.