What show would you show someone who had never hear of drum corps?

no

you said you had no success with opening peoples minds to drum corps

but i told you it was possible with one of the cavalier shows (possibely machine or 007)

they wouldnt care about how beautiful that chord is. They wanna see some cool, innovative things.

although i feel some of you alls perception on "cool" is watching crowns pre show in 2009, or stuff like that

why do i post on here if i think its stupid? simple

i see stupid people say stupid things, and i want to comment about it.

the only corps i could see entertaining crowds not involved with music are cavaliers and blue devils. Possibly scouts from this year

The irony...is staggering.

If you think drum corps is stupid, I'm not sure why you'd follow it in the first place. And then we have topics wondering why bandos get a bad rep. I do my best to be tolerant and understanding. But honestly, there are very active forums for bandos such as yourselves to fawn all over Crown and Cavies. Then, when you're off at band camp and your section leader is marching Teal Sound, you can complain about how she takes it too seriously when she comes back to join you. After all, it's not like they marched BD or anything.

• Like 3

I ask, "Do you like classical or movie music?" For classical 2003 Phantom Regiment and for movie 2004 Cavaliers. I show those two because I was there at finals so I can say that the music was performed live.

If I have time I let them here the MP3 first then show them the video. That has worked very well.

Taking people to shows is where it's at. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's hard to argue that what goes on out on that field isn't amazing. I love taking people to shows for the first time! I remember taking a friend to the Indy regional in 2005. She was FLOORED by the shows before we even hit the lower-placing Div. I teams.

I typically like to show people a show of old - something like Garfield 83/84 or BD 83/84 and then something of newer age to show the evolution of the activity in it's musical and visual precision. I have recently showed people 04 Cavies (high cam) and 05 Cadets as a demonstration of all the different elements that are a part of the drum corps activity. They are usually very impressed by the different drill formations that were written for the 04 cavies show and are blow away by the incredible marching and playing of the 05 cadets.

The irony...is staggering.

If you think drum corps is stupid, I'm not sure why you'd follow it in the first place. And then we have topics wondering why bandos get a bad rep. I do my best to be tolerant and understanding. But honestly, there are very active forums for bandos such as yourselves to fawn all over Crown and Cavies. Then, when you're off at band camp and your section leader is marching Teal Sound, you can complain about how she takes it too seriously when she comes back to join you. After all, it's not like they marched BD or anything.

look above

• Like 1

It depends on one's personal taste, but I generally find success with recognizable music that is arranged and played well like 95 or 99 Scouts, 2008 Bluecoats, 2007-2009 Crown, 2002 Cadets, and 2005 Phantom. However, there can be surprises. I've had a 60 year old (my boss) tell me how much he enjoyed 2002 Cavaliers. Some have liked 2005 Cadets. Although, I've yet to find anyone that likes 2010 Blue Devils. :thumbup:

Edited by wallace

Interesting. I took four new people to our show last year and beforehand gave them each the 2000 DVD with instructions to watch Cadets. None of them watched the DVD and all four left the show by the 4th of 7 corps.

I wonder if they'd have stayed if they'd watched the DVD...

Ohhh. The agony of reality. Four corps. Four strikes. And we're out. Say it ain't so.

Save me from despair. Tell me it was early season. Tell me the show started with four undersized corps making their first appearance of the year. Tell me it was too hot. Tell me it was too late. Tell me anything but the truth about our beloved drum corps which is beloved to so few.

HH

Ohhh. The agony of reality. Four corps. Four strikes. And we're out. Say it ain't so.

Save me from despair. Tell me it was early season. Tell me the show started with four undersized corps making their first appearance of the year. Tell me it was too hot. Tell me it was too late. Tell me anything but the truth about our beloved drum corps which is beloved to so few.

HH

It was early season. The first three were "undersized" (the fourth was Madison and even they couldn't keep them), it was almost unbearably hot.

But still, they missed Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Cavies, and Crown.

The truth hurts, and I'm undecided if I'm going to ask them to this year's show.