What show would you show someone who had never hear of drum corps?

Whenever I want to show drum corps noobs a show, I find that they never have the attention span to last more than a few minutes. (Even with some of the great suggestions on here). Somebody just needs to make a drum corps trailer that showcases the best 30 seconds or so of different shows, some crazy action shots, slow motion stuff, and some epic music at the end with a montage of video feeds. It'll be like 4 or 5 minutes and can show people just what drum corps is all about. The difference though would be that it wouldn't be so much as a drum corps "commercial" but an "informative" tidbit that explains a little about what the hell is going on.

Not a single show (seen on DVD or on the computer) can really make anyone understand. An Epic "informative" trailer will "sell it" way better than a single show. IDK, I'd like that. It'd save me the 45 minutes I usually spend explaining people everything about it just so they don't get the "wrong impression"... :thumbup:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Whenever I want to show drum corps noobs a show, I find that they never have the attention span to last more than a few minutes. (Even with some of the great suggestions on here). Somebody just needs to make a drum corps trailer that showcases the best 30 seconds or so of different shows, some crazy action shots, slow motion stuff, and some epic music at the end with a montage of video feeds. It'll be like 4 or 5 minutes and can show people just what drum corps is all about. The difference though would be that it wouldn't be so much as a drum corps "commercial" but an "informative" tidbit that explains a little about what the hell is going on.

Not a single show (seen on DVD or on the computer) can really make anyone understand. An Epic "informative" trailer will "sell it" way better than a single show. IDK, I'd like that. It'd save me the 45 minutes I usually spend explaining people everything about it just so they don't get the "wrong impression"... :thumbup:

I posted that Cadets video and got LOTS of responses. Best trailer style video ever - maybe if it was just a bit shorter it would be perfect!

• Like 2

The "Running Hornline" video filmed at a 2007 Regiment rehearsal is one video that has NEVER failed to impress. It's loud music with the entire hornline jazz running; it displays musicality and more importantly, athleticism.

Yeah, that is some pretty sweet 7-to-5 Jazz Running! :thumbup:

All kidding aside, I do agree. That video blew me with the WOW factor the first time i came across it.

It depends on what my friends background is, if they are a jazz guy I show then 93 BD, if they are a theater person I will show them 89 SCV, if they are in HS marching band I show them 02 Cavaliers. I also show bits of 89 VK, 93 Phantom, 95 Madison and 99 Crossmen (because I show them where I was)

I'd plug in a DVD on the theatre show " Blast ". If they've " never heard of Drum Corps" and they are of adult age, my guess no DCI or DCA show is going to do much for them.

Drum Corps shows.... particularly for someone totally unfamiliar with it.... has to be experienced live. So I'd take them to a show if I could instead. Otherwise, the chances of them breaking out into a collective yawn after a few minutes from watching a Drum Corps show via a DVD is pretty high for most neophytes, imo.

I agree with both parts of this post. '04 Cavies and '08 Regiment are great shows. However, I have started with "Blast" for first timers and then get them to a show.

We bring over the middle school students to march with the high school band for pregame during the football season. My line-up for the students to watch while the high school band is getting in uniform include some version of the following:

'79 Blue Devils

'84 Cadets

'89 SCV

'91 Star

'06 Cavies

'08 Crown

'08 Regiment

Thank God for the Fan Network membership. LOL