Funny thing I noticed about Post counts

OK, I spent 10 years upgrading computer applications and 8 years setting up and upgrading Unix operating systems so I've had a lot of OJT on noticing off the wall details.

When I see posts I've made the count under my avatar is the usual 10K+ *gag*.... But when I'm looking at my profile the cout is about 1400 less. Guessing that had something to do with the OT posts I've made in the past and because I had my OT access turned off, it affects the post count. No problem, jus' sumthin' the old IT guy noticed.

But the PITA is the width of the posts when I am reading or writing. It's now about a third wider and I either have to scroll back and forth or set the text size to TD (Too ####) small. :sad:And just typing this has the screen bouncing to and fro and the end of each line. Talk about a headache in the making...... Can I reset the width anywhere or do I have to shrink everything down whenever I get on DCP? (and resize when I'm done )

OK, I spent 10 years upgrading computer applications and 8 years setting up and upgrading Unix operating systems so I've had a lot of OJT on noticing off the wall details.

When I see posts I've made the count under my avatar is the usual 10K+ *gag*.... But when I'm looking at my profile the cout is about 1400 less. Guessing that had something to do with the OT posts I've made in the past and because I had my OT access turned off, it affects the post count. No problem, jus' sumthin' the old IT guy noticed.

But the PITA is the width of the posts when I am reading or writing. It's now about a third wider and I either have to scroll back and forth or set the text size to TD (Too ####) small. :sad:And just typing this has the screen bouncing to and fro and the end of each line. Talk about a headache in the making...... Can I reset the width anywhere or do I have to shrink everything down whenever I get on DCP? (and resize when I'm done )

Jim,

Post counts are a funny lot - as they're accumulated from different sources. I won't go into the logic for doing this - but suffice it to say that there's a tool that we'll probably run against the database to re-synchronize the statistics. The side-effect is that, due to threads being deleted / edited / archived / etc, the counts will probably go down. For myself and many others, this really isn't a big deal. However, there ARE some folks that are pretty proud of their post count 'records'.

As for the width, you should be able to set your browser width and go. Just to prove a point, I've scaled by browser window to about half of its normal width - and I'm able to compose this message and read others with no problem. Everything scales properly and message contents wrap into the next window size.

What browser (name, version) are you running ... on what operating system and at what screen resolution/width? We've tested with IE8, FireFox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari (about 85% of the current market) and everything works great on current versions.

The site makes significant use of CSS2, XHTML, and Javascript .... so you'll need a 'modern browser' to make everything work. If your window resolution is < 1024px wide - you'll encounter horizontal scrolling, which could be the cause of the issue.

-john

surprise surprise mr cranky pants, my count looks fine.

cause really, anymore, i have no idea. I just tell em to yell when I get close to the next milestone

Jim,

Post counts are a funny lot - as they're accumulated from different sources. I won't go into the logic for doing this - but suffice it to say that there's a tool that we'll probably run against the database to re-synchronize the statistics. The side-effect is that, due to threads being deleted / edited / archived / etc, the counts will probably go down. For myself and many others, this really isn't a big deal. However, there ARE some folks that are pretty proud of their post count 'records'.

Have to re-synch huh? :thumbup: Bad falshbacks of loading new software O/S on a Unix box and things look wierd. We always ended up rebooting the entire system to "reset all the hooks" <$1 to a co-worker>. Was just wondering and will be interesting to see what happens when you are totally done. Well interesting to me since I'm not the one having to deal with it (that's a nice feeling after all these years). :lol:

As for the width, you should be able to set your browser width and go. Just to prove a point, I've scaled by browser window to about half of its normal width - and I'm able to compose this message and read others with no problem. Everything scales properly and message contents wrap into the next window size.

What browser (name, version) are you running ... on what operating system and at what screen resolution/width? We've tested with IE8, FireFox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari (about 85% of the current market) and everything works great on current versions.

-john

Have IE8 with no updates and can't find anything on setting width. I 'm currently setting the "Zoom" to 90% so I can see all the post area but of course the text gets shrunk too (and I have to reset for for my wife when done). If you can point to how to reset the view it would help a lot of things beside DCP. Thanks for the response and thanks in advance.

But before you bother our screen resolution is way low so maybe it wouldn't matter. Have same problem at work with some of the on-line training we take and have to reset the screen resolution to be able to see the entire screen. And the older folks complain about headaches afterward because of the small print.

Thanks Ming... I mean John. Oh is that avatar appropiate for System Admins :smile:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Have to re-synch huh? :thumbup: Bad falshbacks of loading new software O/S on a Unix box and things look wierd. We always ended up rebooting the entire system to "reset all the hooks" <$1 to a co-worker>. Was just wondering and will be interesting to see what happens when you are totally done. Well interesting to me since I'm not the one having to deal with it (that's a nice feeling after all these years). :lol:

Have IE8 with no updates and can't find anything on setting width. I 'm currently setting the "Zoom" to 90% so I can see all the post area but of course the text gets shrunk too (and I have to reset for for my wife when done). If you can point to how to reset the view it would help a lot of things beside DCP. Thanks for the response and thanks in advance.

But before you bother our screen resolution is way low so maybe it wouldn't matter. Have same problem at work with some of the on-line training we take and have to reset the screen resolution to be able to see the entire screen. And the older folks complain about headaches afterward because of the small print.

Thanks Ming... I mean John. Oh is that avatar appropiate for System Admins :smile:

Jim,

It sounds like your problem is related to screen width, controlled by your resolution. This site design will work just fine in 1024 x 768 - which is supported by > 96% of browser public. If your resolution is less than that, you will encounter horizontal scrolling and some of the problems you've described.

-john

Sounds like you have your resolution set to 800x600.

I would venture a guess this is to make the text larger for you and your wife to read easily. Unfortunately this has the unwanted effect of limiting your viewport on many websites which are standardized to 960px+ wide.

May I suggest: setting your desktop resolution to 1024x768. Once done, you can then alter your desktop display properties (right-click on desktop -> Properties -> Display Properties -> Appearance) and change the "font size" to "Large." This will bump-up the default font size while still keeping your at 1024x768 resolution. Also, I recommend (on the same menu) clicking on the Advanced button and checking the "Clear Type" checkbox. This should also improve the font clarity in under Windows XP.

Good Luck! The DCP site (IPB base) is well conceived and loaded with usability best practices - however, one can't always say the same for default Windows OS configurations...

Good Luck!

-j

• Like 2

Interesting... changing the font size as per Jeff only seems to increase the text in screen labels (aka the blue bar at the top of the IE display). Home PC is one of the last XPs and had to be reloaded from scratch few months back because of a virus. Who knows how funky the O/S is so will try this on my work PCs to see what happens there. Right now we're working with a IE view--> zoom --> 90 which is a good balance.

Thanks for the help and info guys. Again Jeff helps Kris and I out. Yep, still remember you helping us down the steps at DCA in 2007 or so.

Interesting... changing the font size as per Jeff only seems to increase the text in screen labels (aka the blue bar at the top of the IE display). Home PC is one of the last XPs and had to be reloaded from scratch few months back because of a virus. Who knows how funky the O/S is so will try this on my work PCs to see what happens there. Right now we're working with a IE view--> zoom --> 90 which is a good balance.

Thanks for the help and info guys. Again Jeff helps Kris and I out. Yep, still remember you helping us down the steps at DCA in 2007 or so.

The zoom is what's causing things to get too wide.

Try setting your zoom back to 100% and then use Page | Text Size to fix this.

CSS (as wonderful as it is) has broken some things (like text sizes the *user* prefers). Facebook just did this and everyone's #####ing and moaning about it. Lot's of templates now have a nice include settings right on the page to adjust this kind of thing. Take look at the top right of this page: njatob.org. You can tweak the size *you* like right from the template. Don't know if you can pull that off in an IPB template or not. But that's the best fix.