Rules Congress

there are certainly a few things that came out of the weekend that are indeed newsworthy - especially to the learned DCP crew...

However, it's 12:22AM... I just got home... the plane was harrowing - everyone broke into applause when we finally stopped and the trip across town from the airport to Webster wasn't much better... 'ya gotta love lake effect and I'm not talking about a new drum corps in Erie...

Tomorrow a proper press release should be available bringing all up to date...

What you can look forward to is that for the first time in the history of the marching activity, DCA will be using 50/50 sheets... 50% General Effect and 50% everything else... From the VFW days of 90/10 (10% effect) sheets that stifled creativity and paid homage to the almighty tick, we grew to the 60/40 sheets that have been prevalent for decades... The 50/50 sheets prove that DCA's commitment to entertainment moves ahead boldly...

ah yes allowing for mor corps not being clean is a great thing. the thing went from military bearing and clean corps to what ever crap you can put out is fine. and sorry but i can't leave a shoh humming anything i just heard. sorry but this whole thing is going way down the wrong path. but hey what do i know.....i'm a dino.

• Like 1

ah yes allowing for mor corps not being clean is a great thing. the thing went from military bearing and clean corps to what ever crap you can put out is fine. and sorry but i can't leave a shoh humming anything i just heard. sorry but this whole thing is going way down the wrong path. but hey what do i know.....i'm a dino.

I guess its all in what your definition of "entertainment" is. From my seat and my viewpoint as both a performer and a spectator the shows in general have been far less entertaining over the last 5 years and more towards the artsy fartsy side. Your mileage may vary depending on what reaches your intellect.

We will have to wait and see what the sheets are really giving credit towards before we can accurately debate and discuss the rule change and what it means to the entertainment value of DCA.

Sounds like a dramatic change to me. Guess we'll see how it goes. This might be a good time to post the official DCA definition of General Effect. Tom, anyone?

On the surface, the change seems to allow for more "fluff," if you know what I mean.

Sounds like a dramatic change to me. Guess we'll see how it goes. This might be a good time to post the official DCA definition of General Effect. Tom, anyone?

On the surface, the change seems to allow for more "fluff," if you know what I mean.

all i know is the attendance numbers are going down. they can only go down for so long untill you reach a point that you can't exist. drum corps does not appeal to the every day joe lunch pail anymore.

Don do you really think "military bearing" is going to bring back attendance Don? IMO Entertainment will. That leaves the issue open: What Person A thinks is entertainment Person B may not.

ah so goodbye field judges

Not totally...the short version is this....

Captions judged on the field will be...

Brass - 10% of total score

Perc - 10% of total score

All others captions judged from press box...

Color Guard - 10% of total score

Music Ensemble - 10% of total score

Visual Ensemble - 10% of total score

Music Effect - 25% of total score

Visual Effect - 25% of total score

A great weekend for DCA in putting this new system through...more details to follow.

That leaves the issue open: What Person A thinks is entertainment Person B may not.

Liz I think for once we are on the same sheet of music and agree with each other. :)

Guess that means today is the day to go buy a lottery ticket Ed.

:thumbup:

Don do you really think "military bearing" is going to bring back attendance Don? IMO Entertainment will. That leaves the issue open: What Person A thinks is entertainment Person B may not.

no liz i don't. i was just saying how far away the concept has gone from the original . and your right my entertainment might not be yours. but drum corps attenednce has been on a decline for years. i think recognizable music might help.

all i know is the attendance numbers are going down. they can only go down for so long untill you reach a point that you can't exist. drum corps does not appeal to the every day joe lunch pail anymore.

I think that's what this rule is about. Giving more weight to general effect would likely reach out to the average fan that has been neglected recently.