Thoughts for the Upcoming Season

On DCP, I am the rookie and you are the fanatic according to our little information. PM me if you really would like me to clear things up. I specifically invite you to in my signature!

I think I have seen or I mean read you before.. I will have to go back and find out. HMMMMMMMMMM.No PM needed Mondays another day. haha! CC needs to learn how to finish if they dont they wont make it to the top.

I think I have seen or I mean read you before.. I will have to go back and find out. HMMMMMMMMMM.No PM needed Mondays another day. haha! CC needs to learn how to finish if they dont they wont make it to the top.

I have posted quite a few times since I heave joined DCP only a short while ago. It is very possible you have read me! If you are inferring that I have an alternate username, you are mistaken!

-Expert

I have posted quite a few times since I heave joined DCP only a short while ago. It is very possible you have read me! If you are inferring that I have an alternate username, you are mistaken!

-Expert

39 times actually. I think I have seen this speil before, I will find it. Its all good. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

my thoughts: sad that i aged out and cant perform more.

all done

• Like 1

Hello all,

I want to know what you all think about anything. What are your thoughts

George Hopkins

• Like 2

39 times actually. I think I have seen this speil before, I will find it. Its all good. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

Really? Are you that petty?

• Like 1

thoughts.....

It's December - hurry up June!

Looking forward to the fight in the 8-17 spots again.

Wondering how I'm going to fit drum corps into my summer travel plans.

• Like 1

My thoughts:

A new breakthrough into the top 3. I mean, '09, had Crown, '10 had Bloo,'11 will have...Stars?

...Stars with a Blue? Check your history. It won't be history unless we have wiped out 1972 and 1973.

Interesting thread... think i will join in!

For starters, I was so pleasantly surprised this year! DCI World Class from top to bottom was so good overall. We all know about design/execution issues, but I found every corps I saw to be pretty cool and entertaining! Unfortunately, I missed Pioneer live! I had a mad dash to Allentown from Philly and I just missed them as I ran into the stadium. But did get my DVDs recently and they had a good performance too! So this will be my joint review/Slash/predictions!

Pioneer- I admire their advertised mission statement about education, but after seeing their performance, I cant help but think they are really seling themselves short. I believe they are capable of MUCH more musically and visually. I get that they dont require kids to have top 5 skills etc and they get kids who havent played before etc, but thats never stopped some other great corps! I have seen a LOT of first timers participate in high level programs and Pioneer could also. Until they change their fundamental approach in planning and programming, they will stay put in the same place as 2010.

Seattle Cascades- I think this was corps was VERY slighted in 2010. In my opinion, they were much better programmed than Jersey Surf or Teal Sound. They were smaller it seems, but other than that, I liked their overall presentation much better. This year they continue to improve and build up the overall program, attract a few more members and move up the field 1-3 spots.

Jersey Surf- Stays the Course. Cute, entertaining, but will once again not challenge the individual performers to a level that will move them up the field. Percussion will be much improved and Color Guard will once again be their strength.

Teal Sound- A wonderfully entertaining program in 2010! I thought they did a great job with the Rock thing and their use of electronics was actually pretty cool! I think they have pretty much maxed that out so hopefully it wont be a "re-run". I think they will still hover in the 20-23 range.

Mandarins- Had a really cool show in 2010. I was very surprised and impressed. I think they and some of the other lower level corps may be doing the opposite of Surf and Pio by maybe giving their kids TOO much to handle. Visually their eyes were bigger than their stomachs and their execution suffered from it. Conceptually I think its important they not go the overly "Artsy" route. Mandarins stay in the 17-20 range

Pac Crest- I was a bit let down here. This show kind of dragged on and on and didnt really take me anywhere. As always, it could just be me. Others may have seen more than i did, but to me it was a lot of stuff going on and at the end i was just sort of like "uh.... okay". Strong percussion element, with good progress in brass and guard. If they can find the right nitch thematically, they could be a mover. I predict 18-21.

Crossmen- Most people i know have been very critical of them the last couple of years, but I have rather enjoyed them! Not the crazy "Bones" of the 90s, but people need to let that go! Let this corps be who they are and continue to explore and find their identity! A lot of changes in leadership will certainly be visible on the field this year, and they will be movers! I think the last few years have brought interest, talent, and stability to the program that have probably never been in place with Crossmen. I remember them having trouble filling the corps back when the member limit was lower and now they are in great shape! I think they take it to the next level this year by finishing in the 11-13 range and will be fighting for a Finals spot!

Spirit- Another corps that is always entertaining and great fun to watch! LOVE this percussion element!

Unfortunately, their total designs tend to stay the same and lately have yielded similar results from year to year. I think this will continue to be the same. 16-17 range for this corps.

Troopers- Still learning to allow themselves to explore and try new things, but are still afraid to totally do something different. Last year they retreated a bit a took far fewer chances than the year before and I think it took them back a few steps. Hopefully they get back to being a bit more daring! It could take then back into finals. 13-15

The Academy- Great elements, but again this corps tends to leave you hangin. Last year (As with the last few years) I really found listening to this corps enjoyable but had a hard time watching it. Great brass and percussion sound and a very inventive guard which is really enough to keep you entertained but you are always waiting for that "knock out punch" and for me, it never comes. Again, still very enjoyable as I am always entertaining by watching a skilled unit, but I just hope they can do something that is either fun (like cavaliers) challenging (like blue devils) or beautiful (Phantom Regiment). 13-16

Colts- Another corps that is knocking on the door of the big time and attracting a great deal of talent! I think the talent level of this corps can hang with BAC on down from last years corps, but will the design be there? Last year was sort of muddled. Creative but didnt close out. I think this year they take a different direction and knock down that finals barrier! 11-13

Glassmen- I almost ALWAYS love this corps! Great Brass and Percussion especially! Visually they will clean it up as well and get the colorguard moving at the same rate as the rest of the corps. Seems like they are going after that "Twilight" crowd thematically this year so look for it to be a kiddie favorite! Sometimes thats the key. If they can pull it off, they could be a top 10 corps!10-12

Blue Knights- Last years corps was PHENOMENAL! All areas. guard was a HUGE plus, Brass was some of the best of all of DCI! Percussion left me hanging compared to most years of BK, but were still an asset. This tells me that the BK style may have reached its potential as far as "Winning". I used to think their formula could win a championship if all of the elements cook together well and if they execute. Last year, they seemed to hit on all cylinders but still failed to get into the 10. Its going to take something else kinda special to get them moving. With so many other corps coming on so strong in recent years (crown, blue coats, blue stars) I dont know that "Same ole blue knights" is going to get into the next tier. They are extremely committed to their style which i applaud them for so it looks like 11-12 again.

Madison Scouts- This felt like the movie "Avatar" to me. EVERYONE loved it, but I couldnt get into it. I am not one to rain on a parade, so I wont! lol. Frankly, I like what they are doing in the sense of doing a "Throwback" show, but it wears thin on me. Again, I know plenty of people would love to see this year in and year out, but for my taste, I am glad there isnt a lot of this going. Their colorguard was fantastic, and their brass packs some punch! Percussion was their weak element, particularly in the front ensemble. Hopefully they can shore that up. Oh.. and (again, some people love it) but I could not STAND that corps uniform! It was almost silly to me. I dont know if the are doing another "Greatest hits" show, but if they do, look for the old crowd to be on their feet again! (Except for me even though i am old). If they can keep the hype machine flowing, their effect could keep them near where they are. If not, people will see that skill wise, their elements are still an 11th-13th type thing. 11-13

Boston Crusaders- 2010 did not match 2009 in terms of skill or entertainment. I found that chair to be a huge distraction. I actually asked one of their members what the show was about. I could see it was some kind of "Royalty" type thing, but not exactly what they meant by it. They had random people jumping on and off the chair, sometimes they went a long time without paying any attention to the chair, just very muddled. The member joked that the show was about "Fancy chairs". lol. Boston always seems to have the weapons to get up to the next tier but always stop themselves. If they get that magic design like they did in 2000, they could be a real threat to that top 5 or 6. I dont know that it happens this year. 9-10

Blue Stars- This corps is on FIRE! I do feel that they abandoned their "houdini" concept early in their show, but i was so distracted by the high flying drill and music that I didnt even really mind. Percussion is HOT! Brass is HOT! Color Guard is HOT! More importantly, a show like that really sells kids on a program and recruiting starts to get even better than it already was! Fewer kids using BS as a "stepping stone" to cadets, blue coats etc. Blue Stars are an arrival now! I think they take the Carolina Crown spot in DCI this year playing spoiler to the "Big boys" and threatening. 4-7

SCV- I have loved this corps all around the last few years! They seem to be the embodiment of what Blue Knights WANTS to be. Playing esoteric, sometimes "out there" material, visually cutting edge in terms of visuals etc, but just a way higher level of design and programming. I have really enjoyed their percussion the last few years in terms of style and creativity. Their staff was to be commended for what they did but I really looking forward to hearing what Rennick can do with this group! The percussion under Rennick was the catalyst for the success phantom regiment had, and I think this will be a the push the Vanguard needs to truly contend again. 3-6

Phantom Regiment- AGain, the Rennick fuel is gone and that is a MAJOR loss for the Regiment. Last year, this was my favorite overall presentation but it was so fueled by the percussion that you cant help but wonder what would have happened without it? We will find out this year! The new percussion leadership is certainly good and capable, but nobody just keeps going the way PR percussion has with a leadership change. The Brass is still amazing as is the colorguard but their overall visual program is still severely lacking. I think 2008 was the anomaly rather than the norm competitively as evidenced by the 2009 and 2010 editions. I think 2011 could hold a small drop for the PR. 7-9.

The Cadets- From what I understand, the Cadets are gettin "Serious" (Thematically speaking!). Last year was a cute show and I think this year they are coming out meaning business! They dont wanna be "Cute" anymore. With Jeffery out west, i think we see a huge change here! I think this stays top 5, but the corps will be much better. Unfortunately, so will the rest of the top tier! 4-5

Carolina Crown- For me, this was a random great brass section moving around the field with a random great colorguard running around after them. HUGE and wonderful brass sound!

Percussion was the musical stumbling block (great unit of course, but speaking in comparison to the other top corps of course! Lord knows Crown was great compared to most groups!).

The overall presentation was sort of a "uh... what?". It started, it kept going, it ended, and it never really went anywhere. The little "Rewind" gimmick was cute but completely out of place. I think the wind is out of the sails a bit. Last year was a big "Crown is gonna win" hype all over the place and it didnt come very close. Now the rest of the top tier has had a chance to grown. BD/Cavaliers/Blue Coats are all still phenomenal, and Blue Stars/SCV/Cadets all improving strongly, I think Crown is going to be ripe to fall. Again, the "Flavor of the month" hype never lasts and I think their best opportunities may have gotten away from them. You cant trade forever on 07! 5-8

Bluecoats- A huge and strong program last year! Elements were on fire with visual being the exception. Certainly very good, but not Cavaliers or Blue Devils caliber in terms of complimenting the overall program. They tried to "out-cavalier" the Cavaliers! lol. They say recycling is good, but not drill moves from a rival corps. This show had all of the flair and hype we wanted but a bit too repetitive and lacking the knockout blow to take out the green guys. Boy did it come close tho! 2011 could be the year to get the job done! 3-5

Cavaliers- If only those #### blue devils didnt exist! this was a championship show. lol. That always seems to be the case with the green machine. A hugely entertaining show, but also had all of the technical demand we could ever want! power in all of the elements and a really fun, clever and inventive take on programming. If this steam keeps going this year, lookout world! 1-3

Blue Devils- Another solid and crazy and fun and amazing show! Clearly the winner in my book. Saw it 3 times live, and a bunch more on DVD and each time my mind is blown. I can see why some people found this off-putting. It wasnt the easiest or most accessible show, but holy crap! What an interpretation! They dare you to come into their world! Great use of props, fantastic and clever musical score, powerful percussion, and the colorguard was a total mind-f***. LOVED it! From a pure entertainment standpoint, my favorite corps of 2010 was Phantom Regiment. But from a "Who should win" standpoint, it was EASILY the Blue Devils to me. What a performance. I just cannot wait to see whats next. 1-3

• Like 1

Whoever has the highest score will win.

There will be shows that people like, and there will be shows they don't like.

We are all going to come on here & argue about [insert Corps Name Here]'s show.