Can you describe Drum Corps without mentioning Band

yeah, I was going to say...describe drum corps accurately without using the term "football." Way more difficult than not using the "b" word.

We were the Alberta All Girls Drum and Bugle Band. The words promoted the product. Once seen, the product promoted itself. Half time shows at football/soccer games were part of the game to promote/advertise in a venue we knew how to perform in ;-)

I just dont know why anyone thinks that outsiders will care about the difference.

At the end of the day, its instruments, flags, equipment, marching and performing on a football field.

I think peoples stern and defensive stance on the difference as far as outsiders are concerned do more to turn people away than anything.

I remember when i was 15 and first got turned on to drum corps. Before I ever marched a day of corps I started talking about it to people who didnt

get it and I was so frustrated by it. Later on, my instructors who marched Blue Devils, Velvet Knights and Freelancers in the 80s and 90s just said

"why fight it?". lol.

I remember when they said "as far as the world is concerned, we are ALL the band. If it marches with horns, drums etc on a field, its a band. Drum corps is

"the band". Indoor percussion is "the band". Even indoor guard is "the band" ".

Band and Drum corps are apples to apples comparison as far as what the activities entail. Maybe not in the execution etc, but in terms of what we do

and how we do it, its pretty much the same.

Its like movies. Maybe you have a subtitled foreign art film, and maybe you have "Son-in-law" with Pauly Shore. They are both movies. VERY different of course

for a variety of reasons, but both are still a movie.

Okay new game. Describe drum corps without the use of the word "corps" "stadium" "art" "performance" "color guard" "music" "brass" "drums" "marching" and "George Hopkins"

If you use any of these words you lose a Reputation Point!

I spent two of my summers participating with an ensemble of musicians that rehearse and perform over the summer outside for thousands of eager fans. We put on very intricate and physically demanding shows that are rehearsed every day out in the heat in order to be perfected.

I win?

• Like 1

I spent two of my summers participating with an ensemble of musicians that rehearse and perform over the summer outside for thousands of eager fans. We put on very intricate and physically demanding shows that are rehearsed every day out in the heat in order to be perfected.

I win?

Anthony Michael Hall - "You wear tights!?!"

Emilio Estevez - "No, I don't wear tights. I wear the required uniform."

Anthony Michael Hall - "Tights!"

Emilio Estevez - "Shut Up!!!"

- from the movie Breakfast Club

Edited by Stu

How would you describe a flank steak to the child of a billionaire who was raised eating Kobie beef?

Further, how would you describe rock and roll to someone who has only listened to classical?

How would you describe break-dancing (do they still call it that? blink.gif) to someone who's only seen ballet?

You're helping me make the point, you know that don't you? thumbup.gif

I don't think I was trying to disprove yours or anyone's point... Just wondering if the same people who are offended by 'marching band' being used to explain drum corps would be just as offended if someone used 'drum corps' to explain marching band.

Now a separate point, it seems like some are operating under the assumption that all drum corps are inherently of better quality than all marching bands which just isn't true. Show someone the last place open class corps (or any number of startup corps that aren't even in DCA or DCI yet) and then the BOA champion of the same year, and ask them which you think was a better product.

Anyway, some of the most loved musical groups of all time are bands. Queen is a band. The Beatles were a band. Metallica.... well, you get the idea. It's that pesky "marching" word that's the problem :tongue:

Wrong. Wrong in your reading comprehension. Wrong in fact. Wrong.

HH

Glory - Post #37 - Paragraph 2 - Unedited - "That doesn't mean there aren't differences; there are. And outside of finals week, those difference will be most apparent at TOC shows where - switching to the car metaphor - we'll see fewer clunkers, Chevys or whatever. It's not that there aren't luxury and other superior models at other shows. Rather, TOC shows are the ones where only superior models will perform - no Chevys, no clunkers. Hard to imagine with all those Lexus's on the field at TOC that many, even any, would mistake them for anything but superior."

Hmmm... my reading comprehension is correct. In this (unedited) paragraph you actually referred to Non-TOC corps' as, and I quote, Clunkers: "Rather, TOC shows are the ones where only superior models will perform - no Chevys, no clunkers."

...Hmmm... my reading comprehension is correct. In this (unedited) paragraph you actually referred to Non-TOC corps' as, and I quote, Clunkers: "Rather, TOC shows are the ones where only superior models will perform - no Chevys, no clunkers."

Only because I want to help you understand and not because I feel the need to defend my words ...

When I say "TOC shows are the ones where only superior models will perform" I'm referring to the top 8 drum corps, not to any other drum corps. So the subsequent reference to "no Chevys, no clunkers" refers to the top 8, not to BAC or any of the other corps you mistakenly allege I disparage.

I hope that's clear. If it's not, I hope you will take me at my word that I don't view Boston, Scouts, BK, Glassmen, Trooper, Colts or plenty of other corps as clunkers.

HH