Soloist names

1983 Madison: Who played the opening solo in Strawberry Soup before Shaun Owens did his thing?

1984 Devils: Who is the soloist at 2:54 in Latin Explosion?

1987 Spirit: Who are the soloists from 4:33 to 4:53?

Thanks!!!

1984 Devils: Who is the soloist at 2:54 in Latin Explosion?

Not having a recording to do a time check here...but the sop solo after the soft opening was Duane Schimmel (he was also the guy who was screaming at the end of the opener, was part of the La Fiesta trio, and the other half of the duet in Like a Lover with Gino Cipriani).

If you're talking about the backfield guy doing the One More Time quote at the end, that was Steve "Stymie" Leanane...ALSO part of the La Fiesta trio.

And it was Latin IMplosion....not Explosion.

And it was Latin IMplosion....not Explosion.

Oops!

If I remember, he had a beard, if that helps...

In Spirit 87, the darker-haired soloist on the right was Mike Elam. Don't know the other one.

The big guy was "Soul Train". Never knew his real name, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there a heavy set soprano player with Madison back in 1983 or so, blonde hair?

Wasn't there a heavy set soprano player with Madison back in 1983 or so, blonde hair?

Balding guy with a beard? Duet with Owens at the end of "Strawberry Soup"?

I think I remember reading his name was Ira or Ian. When I arrived for my audition at BD, I was put into the arc next to Andy Johnson...who bore a strong resemblance....Andy said he got that a lot during the first couple of months he was in the corps!

I introduced myself and then asked "Weren't you --" I never even had a chance to finish

"No...I wasn't"

Balding guy with a beard? Duet with Owens at the end of "Strawberry Soup"?

I think I remember reading his name was Ira or Ian. When I arrived for my audition at BD, I was put into the arc next to Andy Johnson...who bore a strong resemblance....Andy said he got that a lot during the first couple of months he was in the corps!

Was that the same Ira that marched Guardsmen in 79?

Ira Aronson. He was with Guardsmen then went to Madison. He was horn caption head for Northern Aurora for a while too, I believe.

I think Morgan "Lunchbox" Larsen may be the fat guy you're thinking of. Although he wasn't blonde.