CROSSMEN CAMP

Want justification for the flugels? Listen to 2002 Crossmen. Those guys never stopped playing.

• Like 1

I certainly agree with this statement - and I am not sure of any deal that includes a Flugle with the purchase of a trumpet. If so, sign me up! If bones are looking for a powerful hornline sound, flugles are definitely leading them in the wrong direction. I am curious to find out if the flugles would be used the entire show or as a part of a feature somehow. In that event - more power to them

Huh? Really? Powerful hornlines don't have flugels? See above comment about 2002.

University of Illinois puts all its third trumpets on flugelhorns and it is a disaster. If they write the book FOR that color (and they will), I kinda wish I wasn't too old to march...

<If you are taught to play them like a trumpet or mellophone you will get a bad sound.

I believe this is NOT the case with CROSSMEN BRASS STAFF.

THEY ARE CREATING FLUGEL PLAYERS TO MAKE A FLUGEL LINE. >

Bingo!

If some corps were to bring back the French Horns, most people here would crucify them before hearing a single phrase - but it CAN work (did work with the mid-90s Glassmen...). Use of the Flugel is no different (though perhaps a wiser move...).

Crossmen are looking to create something different about themselves - a 'hook' for their identity that's more than just 'best World Class corps in Texas' - and with their stellar brass staff credentials and the addition of Mr. Naffier...I foresee a VERY entertaining Crossmen show this year!

A comment above about retention rates got me thinking. What is the average retention rate for World Class Corps? What is the avg. retention rate between corps that place 1-12, 13-17, 18-23? I would think retention would have a big impact on how well a corps will do each year. I know the x-men were pretty young last year. Thanks.

• Like 1

A comment above about retention rates got me thinking. What is the average retention rate for World Class Corps? What is the avg. retention rate between corps that place 1-12, 13-17, 18-23? I would think retention would have a big impact on how well a corps will do each year. I know the x-men were pretty young last year. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it fluctuates quite a bit year to year for the top corps (say top 8), based on number of age-outs, etc. However, many of these corps can have a large age-out class and still have a ton of corps experienced members due to recruits from other WC and OC corps. Many times a top corps (example: Cavaliers) can be made up of more people from the 4-12 corps than vets of their own corps in a particular year.

I would say really good retention is anything above 50%.

Edited by noneofyourbusiness
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure it fluctuates quite a bit year to year for the top corps (say top 8), based on number of age-outs, etc. However, many of these corps can have a large age-out class and still have a ton of corps experienced members due to recruits from other WC and OC corps. Many times a top corps (example: Cavaliers) can be made up of more people from the 4-12 corps than vets of their own corps in a particular year.

I would say really good retention is anything above 50%.

Reminds me of a quote of Sully's at finals this past year "Some of the best talent in DCI is Blue Knights members wearing other uniforms." Same can be said for probably every corps between the 10th-18/19th area. Especially if they're members who have been at one corps for two to three years and then leave for elsewhere to march for another 2-3 years. There are a lot of younger people in a number of those corps. In addition to retention numbers and such, I'd also be interested to know how many 4+ year vets each corps has as well, because long term retention is another thing, too.

Definitely, just look in the Cadets and Blue Devils for former Xmen members. Most of them go there, although some occasionally will go to Phantom.