CROSSMEN CAMP

I admire vets who have the talent to make more competitive groups but choose to stay with their corps to hopefully contribute the building process. Having marched alongside these individuals, you can FEEL their frustration and sadness when talented members come in for a year and leave the next. Members are very aware that retention is key; sometimes the factors that drive people away are beyond membership control, though, sadly.

• Like 3

Between the various audition/experience camps so far, they've had close to 200 brass audition. The reports of 80 brass, including a flugelhorn line (for the full show) are correct. Both of my nephews have contracts, one on flugel (returning veteran) the other on Baritone. They've given contracts to the kids they definitely want, but haven't made any cuts yet - so the remaining spots have a lot of kids competing for them. I don't have a count on returning vets, but I've been hearing positive things about good numbers.

The show doesn't have a 'theme'. Like Madison did last year, it will be a mix of tunes. I played through some of the flugel parts: there's some challenging moving parts and some beautiful sections in a ballad. I won't spill the beans on which tunes though, you'll have to wait for the official announcement.

The brass staff is mostly Star/Blast people, and yes, they are amazing (ok, I have a huge bias here because they're friends that I've performed with, but I'm nowhere near alone in my assessment of their teaching skills). Pretty much a clean sweep on staff from last year to this, though there are a few returning techs.

Part of the brass line expansion will come at the expense of the pit. Synth players got axed and I've been told there will be NO SYNTH this year!! Woohooo!!!

If what you say is true then this is truly an exciting time for drum corps. I'm glad to see that corps can feel free to have synths or not, or to have a flugel line or not. I'm for everything and don't have preference or bias so this is wonderful to see even more variety!

Actually, in my years with the Crossmen, very few people went on to the Cadets, at least from the hornline and possibly drumline. If people went over to them, it was in the Guard.

Most went to Blue Devils, Cavies or Phantom.

NO MORE !!

CROSSMEN staying with CROSSMEN....

This could grow very big.

obviously you can say their visual program struggled (along with many corps in that range, right? I mean, if they were cleaner, they would be higher?)... but to say they didn't get ANY cleaner? really? lol

Yes. I sat there in Lucas Oil, and watched their show and was severely dissapointed.

obviously you can say their visual program struggled (along with many corps in that range, right? I mean, if they were cleaner, they would be higher?)... but to say they didn't get ANY cleaner? really? lol

On the whole, I don't think a whole lot. In some places, probably yeah, some, but others suffered because of the attention to certain areas. I think it was pretty obvious what couple sections of the show were worked most and what sections were rarely touched. Even though it was dirty, I still enjoy the show, though. More than some of the cleaner shows that were in finals...

On the whole, I don't think a whole lot. In some places, probably yeah, some, but others suffered because of the attention to certain areas. I think it was pretty obvious what couple sections of the show were worked most and what sections were rarely touched. Even though it was dirty, I still enjoy the show, though. More than some of the cleaner shows that were in finals...

I really enjoyed their brass book and their percussion. I'm a fan of them I was just so distracted by the lack of improvement visually I was disapointed. :( But like I said, I'm looking forward to see what they do this year.

The visual will always be a big issue when it comes to this corps, even since I marched and probably even before. That will always be 1 thing keeping Bones down is how well they march.