Shane Gwaltney

Havin' some fun there aren't ya BozzlyB? So, here is slider on the outside of the plate followed by a fast ball right down the pike (both strikes): a) As long as the rules allow, it is a wonderful thing to enter the competitive arena with a significant advantage; and b) It does "not" make winning less significant for the staff, performers, board, and fans when that advantage is utilized. Is this the Marching Music Major League where you recruit the best of the best, or an altruistic let's teach those who cannot play community service outlet?

My guess is that the returning vets from SCV's 2010 drum line would not fall into that category.

My guess is that the returning vets from SCV's 2010 drum line would not fall into that category.

I agree that an SCV vet would not fall into the altruistic cannot play category. I also know that since this is a Major League, and that that Paul is extremely "Fair" in his audition process, if a returning SCV vet can out drum, out read, out march, and have a better attitude than a UNT/Regiment transfer, the SCV vet will stay in the SCV line and the UNT/Regiment transfer will be looking for another corps in which to audition. Guaranteed!

I agree that an SCV vet would not fall into the altruistic cannot play category. I also know that since this is a Major League, and that that Paul is extremely "Fair" in his audition process, if a returning SCV vet can out drum, out read, out march, and have a better attitude than a UNT/Regiment transfer, the SCV vet will stay in the SCV line and the UNT/Regiment transfer will be looking for another corps in which to audition. Guaranteed!

I certainly hope that is the case, but forgive me for being a tad skeptical. Instructors develop very tight bonds with people they've successfully taught for a number of years, and I gotta believe that in an "all other things considered equal" scenario the known quantity would get the nod over the unknown returning vet.

I certainly hope that is the case, but forgive me for being a tad skeptical. Instructors develop very tight bonds with people they've successfully taught for a number of years, and I gotta believe that in an "all other things considered equal" scenario the known quantity would get the nod over the unknown returning vet.

In this case one need look no further than how Rennick treats students at UNT. He teaches multiple percussionists at that academic institution in an objective manner; and of course out of human nature he bonds with some of them. But when it comes to setting the PASIC line he is "extremely" fair and objective in choosing those with the best hands, feet, and attitude irrespective of any "bonding" he might have. Just ask any of the DCI vet friends of his who have gone there in hopes of being in his PASIC line but failed to make the cut and you will get your answer.

In this case one need look no further than how Rennick treats students at UNT. He teaches multiple percussionists at that academic institution in an objective manner; and of course out of human nature he bonds with some of them. But when it comes to setting the PASIC line he is "extremely" fair and objective in choosing those with the best hands, feet, and attitude irrespective of any "bonding" he might have. Just ask any of the DCI vet friends of his who have gone there in hopes of being in his PASIC line but failed to make the cut and you will get your answer.

Excellent point. And it should be noted that many of Rennick's students at UNT don't actually make his drum corps line or UNT A line. There were UNT drummers last year at Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavies, Blue Knights, Crossmen and other corps. Not all auditioned for Phantom, but some did and went elsewhere when they were cut.

Why has this thread turned to a discussion of Rennick stacking his line with UNT students? I thought it was about how Shane will do at Phantom, which again I believe he will do very well.

Excellent point. And it should be noted that many of Rennick's students at UNT don't actually make his drum corps line or UNT A line. There were UNT drummers last year at Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavies, Blue Knights, Crossmen and other corps. Not all auditioned for Phantom, but some did and went elsewhere when they were cut.

Why has this thread turned to a discussion of Rennick stacking his line with UNT students? I thought it was about how Shane will do at Phantom, which again I believe he will do very well.

Two very great, and VERY true points made! Thank You. Paul's teaching method isnt a "get you ready for MY ensemble in the summer" as it is more of a "you wanna march? this is what will help you succeed anywhere" method. He definitely never recruits anyone, and most times he never says a corps specifically. He usually says "the group i teach in the summer" in hopes that he wont sound biased.

in the words of Forest Gump ".....thats all i have to say....about that.."

Ya good point. I agree Mr. Gwaltney will do well at Phantom, but I'm not expecting a top 10 line from him his first year there. I hope for his and Phantom's sake he proves me wrong.

Sorry about that whole "reaching into your brain" thing. You might wanna get that checked out by a physician.

I should have clearly stated that my "criticism" for lack of a better word isn't only directed towards one ensemble. In fact, it's not really a criticism in any way, just an observation.

When I see RCC's drumline, I inherently recognize (as with a Rennick line) that most of those kids march together most of the year, and they learn from most of the same people most of the year (added "most"s so as not to seem like flame bait, or rash generalizations). I still love them, but the totality of my appreciation for their achievements includes the knowledge that they have a consistent educational structure. It's awesome, but it's not unbelievable, because of the "behind the scenes" structure I know about.

Rudnicki's article wouldn't have been nearly as compelling or tear-jerking had it not started with the vets all leaving. When I watch that video, it means more to my HEART, not my head. But the fact that NEW kids pulled together means more to me on the emotional spectrum only. I'm all about the competitive advantages, and I don't take ANYTHING away from a group who chooses to take one. As an audience member and fan, I will still shake my head, and wonder how they did it. I will still clap, stomp, and scream for them, because it's awesome. But when we're talking behind the scenes about the adult side of things, I try to be intellectually honest enough with myself to recognize that achievement and growth on the sheets is very different from achievement and growth purely on the learning curve.

The volume of growth over a season is more impressive to me than only finals night achievements most of the time. I don't care if people stack their lines. Bring it. It just makes it even more emotionally appealing to me when a non-select group of individuals achieves more on the sheets. I don't feel any less proud of my Ott just because I marched Blue Devils (lol stu), and wouldn't take anything away from any championship line ever. But I'm adult enough to recognize that we had the most consistent corps membership and staff on the field that year also, which certainly played into it.

~Michael

Edited by BigHoosierMack

Ya good point. I agree Mr. Gwaltney will do well at Phantom, but I'm not expecting a top 10 line from him his first year there. I hope for his and Phantom's sake he proves me wrong.

I never predict (no future in it :winky: ) ...but I predict that Shane's line will do as good or better than the vis, ge, brass, guard and overall placement of PR in 2011. Book it!

If some of PR's percussion vets move west...so be it. Shane has the chops to mold a young, skilled and willing line....all he needs is the rest of the PR package to stay at a high level of design and performance.