Shane Gwaltney

> Just putting new uniforms on the kids really isn't that special to me...

Good grief; it is not about being special to "you", it is about being special to the "performer" putting on the uniform!

> There's nothing spectacular about taking a year-round ensemble of percussionists and maintaining a high level of success in a new ensemble.

Apparently you do not consider the feeling of winning the Sanford Award three times in five years as "spectacular". Which might be fine for you but not for those who performed under Rennick at Regiment.

> Give me "rag-tag" with heart over "sick chops" and attitude, any day!

Of course another way to say that would be: Give me "tenth place" with heart over "first place" with attitude, any day! Which again is fine for you, but maybe not for those who desire to march with say the Blue Devils.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

> Just putting new uniforms on the kids really isn't that special to me...

Good grief; it is not about being special to "you", it is about being special to the "performer" putting on the uniform!

> There's nothing spectacular about taking a year-round ensemble of percussionists and maintaining a high level of success in a new ensemble.

Apparently you do not consider the feeling of winning the Sanford Award three times in five years as "spectacular". Which might be fine for you but not for those who performed under Rennick at Regiment.

> Give me "rag-tag" with heart over "sick chops" and attitude, any day!

Of course another way to say that would be: Give me "tenth place" with heart over "first place" with attitude, any day! Which again is fine for you, but maybe not for those who desire to march with say the Blue Devils.

Wow, you need a 50 foot pole with a catchers mit on the end to have a shot a the point that flew so far over your head.

There's nothing spectacular about taking a year-round ensemble of percussionists and maintaining a high level of success in a new ensemble. If NO UNT kids came to SCV this year and he finished top-5, THEN I'll say it's amazing. Just putting new uniforms on the kids really isn't that special to me...

I'll repost this again since apparently you missed it before. There are 7 kids from UNT going to SCV, and a total of 14 vets from PR. Where is this "year-round ensemble" you're talking about?

Wow, you need a 50 foot pole with a catchers mit on the end to have a shot a the point that flew so far over your head.

So the lack of it being special to the poster takes precedent over how special it is to the performer putting on the uniform? It is not spectacular to win the Sanford three out of five years? A group of "rag-tags" with heart can have a real chance at winning the Sanford over "sick chops" with attitude? So, oh Sage of DCP, enlighten me on where I missed that high flying ball in which you speak.

I'll repost this again since apparently you missed it before. There are 7 kids from UNT going to SCV, and a total of 14 vets from PR. Where is this "year-round ensemble" you're talking about?

There is definitely an advantage there. While they aren't all UNT students, there is a pretty huge advantage when you move from one corps to another, and still start the season with 14 people in the ensemble who know your program and how you do things. Many other caption heads making the same move would not have had nearly the number of vets move with them. You're talking about nearly half the ensemble already knowing the program. That's pretty huge when you're moving to a new corps. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but you can't really deny that that's a pretty big advantage.

So the lack of it being special to the poster takes precedent over how special it is to the performer putting on the uniform? It is not spectacular to win the Sanford three out of five years? A group of "rag-tags" with heart can have a real chance at winning the Sanford over "sick chops" with attitude? So, oh Sage of DCP, enlighten me on where I missed that high flying ball in which you speak.

I prefer to be called savant, sage is a seasoning. If you didn't get the point the first time, try reading it again with an open mind, it's not my job to lay out other peoples statments on a silver platter for you to understand. If you still don't get it, well I guess we're none the worse for wear. :hmmm:

There is definitely an advantage there. While they aren't all UNT students, there is a pretty huge advantage when you move from one corps to another, and still start the season with 14 people in the ensemble who know your program and how you do things. Many other caption heads making the same move would not have had nearly the number of vets move with them. You're talking about nearly half the ensemble already knowing the program. That's pretty huge when you're moving to a new corps. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but you can't really deny that that's a pretty big advantage.

Exactly, and when you enter a competitive arena with a significant advantage, it makes winning less significant.

POINT!!!!!!!! (here it comes Stu, got that catchers mit ready?)

Edited by BozzlyB

There is nothing against the rules in one corps attempting to gain an advantage over another; nor is it unethical! In fact, that is partly what "competition" is about. If winning is not important, then why hold auditions and keep score?

Exactly, and when you enter a competitive arena with a significant advantage, it makes winning less significant.

POINT!!!!!!!! (here it comes Stu, got that catchers mit ready?)

Havin' some fun there aren't ya BozzlyB? So, here is slider on the outside of the plate followed by a fast ball right down the pike (both strikes): a) As long as the rules allow, it is a wonderful thing to enter the competitive arena with a significant advantage; and b) It does "not" make winning less significant for the staff, performers, board, and fans when that advantage is utilized. Is this the Marching Music Major League where you recruit the best of the best, or an altruistic let's teach those who cannot play community service outlet?

Havin' some fun there aren't ya BozzlyB? So, here is slider on the outside of the plate followed by a fast ball right down the pike (both strikes): a) As long as the rules allow, it is a wonderful thing to enter the competitive arena with a significant advantage; and b) It does "not" make winning less significant for the staff, performers, board, and fans when that advantage is utilized. Is this the Marching Music Major League where you recruit the best of the best, or an altruistic let's teach those who cannot play community service outlet?

Yes lol, sorry bout the snarkiness.