Who Is Next?

(snip)

All we need is someone to be CONSISTENT. Glassmen and BK have been that...but they can stumble once every 10 years, lol. My claim is: THAT is more likely than someone coming out and being suddenly superior.

Finally, note that Ms Troop has basically re-iterated Competitive Inertia, but boiled it down to "making Finals" instead of "winning." That is, who is going to MAKE IT OBVIOUS, and make the judges look stupid by not giving the number? Again, my point is: That doesn't really happen down around 17th to 11th place. Someone in 11 or 12 slot will have to stumble a bit, since they've already been consistent (built up CI, albeit for the bottom of finals)

Awww you called me Ms Troop. I feel... old. :tongue: (well I am, but let's not focus on that.)

I'm really not sure which of these scenarios is truly more likely in today's drum corps climate. The "gorilla" scenario is what I hope for most because it's exciting and it creates more/better competition at all levels. And because so many corps seem to be working toward greater internal administrative health, the rest of the corps mechanism is also becoming more healthy. I think this contributes to more gorilla potential. (again, if it's true)

People are excited about a lot of corps outside of top 12, and that is also a good sign. So, I'll just say this: may the best gorilla win! (as long as it's the Troopers. :tongue: )

• Like 1

I think BDB will make it to finals..... :shutup:

(I'm kidding. :tongue: )

Poor Pioneer...

It'll be interesting to see how many Open Class corps will beat World Class corps. Might even see one make semi's

I don't see anyone being able to displace anyone in the current Top 12. Point spreads from 2010 show a distinct split on Friday between 12 and 13.

G-Men - 86.50

Colts - 84.650

Even G-men's 85.80 finals performance was over a point higher than Colts' finish. I heard of some staff exits from Dubuque over the off-season. G-men added some decent staff and I can't see them moving backward.

Dark horse might be Academy, but they would have two corps to jump to make Saturday and that might be a tough haul. Jumping Colts might happen, but I believe jumping G-men would take a G-men setback, plus a very strong visual improvement by Academy. Those two things together, and they might sneak into the 12 spot, but that's alot of ifs.

Maybe The Academy can keep some of their "vets" this year and not loose them to The Blue Devils (last year there were 18 members of The Academy in the Blue Devils) and make finals

Well, that is most likely always going to be an issue. Not just for Academy, but the same situation occurs at Colts, Crossmen, Spirit, etc. I would also venture to say G-men and BK lose members to higher placing corps from year to year.

I would say that I suspect the jumping between top 12 corps is less than from non-top 12 to top 12 corps. Appearing on Saturday night in front of DCI's largest crowd of the year is not only the goal for every corps, but for every corps member. Performing later and later on Saturday night is the next goal. Finishing first is a crap shoot. Many have banked on BD in the past ten years of ring chasing and finished out of the top spot.

• Like 1

A DCI Darling is anything that is borne of the "NewStar" lineage: Star>>Crown>BlueStars>Madison...

Madison? I get the Star lineage (and location). But Madison as nouveau not retro? Worlds are colliding!

HH

Edited by glory

Off topic, but you guys (Star Alum) sounded AWESOME at the age-out ceremony :worthy:

Thanks! Were you in the circle? Sometimes its hard to appreciate what your hornline sounds like from your position in the line, but with the age-outs in the circle we could tell by your reaction. Definitely an experience I'll never forget.

Edited by Callawyn

I don't see anyone being able to displace anyone in the current Top 12. Point spreads from 2010 show a distinct split on Friday between 12 and 13.

G-Men - 86.50

Colts - 84.650

Even G-men's 85.80 finals performance was over a point higher than Colts' finish. I heard of some staff exits from Dubuque over the off-season. G-men added some decent staff and I can't see them moving backward.

Dark horse might be Academy, but they would have two corps to jump to make Saturday and that might be a tough haul. Jumping Colts might happen, but I believe jumping G-men would take a G-men setback, plus a very strong visual improvement by Academy. Those two things together, and they might sneak into the 12 spot, but that's alot of ifs.

Looked at another way:

8 corps at 92+

Boston + Scouts ~89

and then a fairly steep curve down through semis scores.

I think there's plenty of "room" for corps to move into those last two spots. As I said earlier , I don't think that means Gmen BK will falter.