Who Is Next?

I would like to say Troopers in '11, but, they have to have a much better show concept than '10. It takes time to bring the complete package to the table, but, Troop seems to have the ability to improve with the right show. Academy seems to have the ability to excel musically, but, they seem to have problems with a top-notch show design. Colts seem to have all of the pieces to move up, but, they can't seem to put them all together into a dominating package. Spirit has the aura like Troopers, but, also seem to be lacking in show concept and the ability to sway the judges. If they can bring a "wow" show to the field with an extremely talented group they may shock.

I believe that the only way that someone will move into the top 12 in '11 is if one of the top corps collapses financially. In today's economy and political situation anything is possible. Many corps are having severe fundraising issues because of changes in tax and bingo laws. BD and SCV are being hamstrung, at least temporarily, by these changes. I am not saying that the California corps are going to suffer immediately, but, some of the other corps in DCI may be hit even more severely! Money is the main reason that there are now only dozens of corps in the activity rather than hundreds which performed in the past.

In order to break into finals, stay there and keep moving up, a corps - any corps - is going to have to be the 500 lb. gorilla in the room. It's not good enough to just be close and hope for the best. You've got to make a move and make it big, and that is a monster of a feat because in the modern drum corps era you need a magic mix of design, talent, instruction and management in order to become that undeniable entity in the mix.

So, to address your particular question, it's not who is going to stumble but who is going to come into the room and force an answer to the placement question. Madison's move last year might have been a gorilla - we'll see if it sticks. On the other hand, it could be that a stumble will happen and placements might shift a little, but that's less likely to create a completely new dynamic in the top 12 for the long term, IMO.

I think this is exactly right.

who is building momentum that others will not be able match when it catches them?

not -- who is suddenly going to suck so bad they fall out?

I think this is exactly right.

who is building momentum that others will not be able match when it catches them?

not -- who is suddenly going to suck so bad they fall out?

We're not talking "suck so bad." We're talking about a stumble, a window of opportunity for some other competitor to be merely as good as they were the year before.

It's just semantics I guess, because anyone(?) can surprise, be unconditionally superior, and knock someone out of finals (Madison 2010 did it to Troop).

It's equally as likely (IMO) for someone to surprise, be unconditionally inferior ("suck so bad"), and fall out of finals, and allow someone else in. (Madison's 2008 entry to 12th place was more a function of Spirit sucking, falling to 15th, after having been 12-13 slot all 2000s prior)

All we need is someone to be CONSISTENT. Glassmen and BK have been that...but they can stumble once every 10 years, lol. My claim is: THAT is more likely than someone coming out and being suddenly superior.

Finally, note that Ms Troop has basically re-iterated Competitive Inertia, but boiled it down to "making Finals" instead of "winning." That is, who is going to MAKE IT OBVIOUS, and make the judges look stupid by not giving the number? Again, my point is: That doesn't really happen down around 17th to 11th place. Someone in 11 or 12 slot will have to stumble a bit, since they've already been consistent (built up CI, albeit for the bottom of finals)

It's equally as likely (IMO) for someone to surprise, be unconditionally inferior ("suck so bad"), and fall out of finals, and allow someone else in. (Madison's 2008 entry to 12th place was more a function of Spirit sucking, falling to 15th, after having been 12-13 slot all 2000s prior)

I don't think we sucked that year. Poor show design, sure, but we didn't "suck." Choose your words more carefully next time.

• Like 1

Academy in, BK out.

I very very highly doubt it. Glassmen will fall before BK does almost guaranteed. I think that this was more of an off year for BK than anything. More often than not lately, they have been in the top 10 or higher not 12.

With that being said, Academy or Colts I believe will be the biggest contenders to do something unique and amazing to push the envelope to perform Saturday.

if the Crossmen can connect musically, then I'd say watch them fight for the spot and become the fan favorite

• Like 1

I very very highly doubt it. Glassmen will fall before BK does almost guaranteed. I think that this was more of an off year for BK than anything. More often than not lately, they have been in the top 10 or higher not 12.

With that being said, Academy or Colts I believe will be the biggest contenders to do something unique and amazing to push the envelope to perform Saturday.

I personally enjoyed BK this year compared to recent previous years.

That said, Academy in, G-men out.

I personally enjoyed BK this year compared to recent previous years.

That said, Academy in, G-men out.

I don't see the Gmen falling out of finals anytime soon... percussion is already strong, as is visual (under Weber's design)... the weakpoint last year was brass, and the new Gmen brass staff is spectacular.

...Blue Stars is one the DCI darlings.

What makes a "DCI darling"? Does it have anything to do with being consistently solid for a number of years?