Themed Shows

Sky Ryders Wizard of Oz is the best story ever told on the field..

Bridgemen North and South 1979, looks so close to 2008 Spartacus. (Great job Bridgemen).

And also Bridgemen West Side Story, done very theatrical too.. Costumes and acting included..

Edited by Cop

Garfield 72..."No More War"...we even passed out a placement-sized poster to the crowd.

Pre-DCI Garfield and others had themed shows as well, actually. 1971..."American the Brave - 1776" was our 1971 title/theme, and we passed out a libretto describing the story we told...a decade prior to Regiment doing the same thing.

I would agree with 1972 Cadets, No More War and Scouts, American History (except) the criteria in the list is first time in top 12. In 1972 the Cadets finished 13th and the Scouts finished 14th. Nice try, though!

I would agree with 1972 Cadets, No More War and Scouts, American History (except) the criteria in the list is first time in top 12. In 1972 the Cadets finished 13th and the Scouts finished 14th. Nice try, though!

Oops...I missed that part. The darn overtime penalty dropped us from 9th (I think) to 13th...missed finals by 0.05!

I call shenanigans!. Didn't Micheal Boo compose "Jade" for The Cavies in '83?

It should be, "First year a corps performed an entire show using music composed exclusively for it (Suncoast Sound 1985)"

Oops! You're right, Randy (I was in a rush when I typed the response). Suncoast WAS the first COMPLETE show that was original.

And, in fact, BD's closer -- "A New Beginning" was an original as well...a Wayne Downey/Jack Meehan job, IIRC.

I call shenanigans!. Didn't Micheal Boo compose "Jade" for The Cavies in '83?

It should be, "First year a corps performed an entire show using music composed exclusively for it (Suncoast Sound 1985)"

Oops! You're right, Randy (I was in a rush when I typed the response). Suncoast WAS the first COMPLETE show that was original.

And, in fact, BD's closer -- "A New Beginning" was an original as well...a Wayne Downey/Jack Meehan job, IIRC.

On a number of postings I have read both pros and cons about “themed show” concepts within DCI. Just out of curiosity, this got me wondering as to when DCI top 12 corps’ began moving away from a hodge-podge of musical selections to creating actual themed shows. Limiting my research to the top 12 starting in 1972, here are the first, I think, “themed” shows in DCI:

1972: First Year a corps used specific identity based musical selections "without" an official Title (Troopers, Cowboy/Western) thanks to JimF

1981: First Year a corps pulled from one source and actually used an official theme Title (Regiment, Spartacus)

1984: First Year a corps used an official theme title but pulled music from various sources (Suncoast, Vietnam)

1985: First Year of entire show of original music composed for a corps (Suncoast, Florida Suite) thanks to Hroth and Skajerk

1988: First Year more than half of the top 12 had officially titled shows (SCV, Phantom of the Opera) (Regiment, Romeo and Juliet) (Star, Porgy and Bess) (VK, Magical Mystery II) (Spirit, Petrouchka) (Suncoast, Symphonic Dances of a Contemporary Child) and (Sky Ryders, Sound of Music)

1992: First Year "all" top 12 had officially titled shows (Cavaliers, Revolution and Triumph) (Cadets, To Tame the Perilous Skies) (Star, American Variations) (Devils, Big, Bad, and Blue) (Scouts, City of Angles) (Crossmen, Songs for Planet Earth) (SCV, Fiddler on the Roof) (Regiment, War and Peace) (BK, Portraits of Aaron Copland) (VK, Magical Mystery III) (Bluecoats, A Day in the Life) and (Freelancers, Music of Sir William Walton)

2004: First Year Electronic Narration (Boston, Composition of Color) thanks to 84BDsop

Source: Corpsreps

With all due respect, switch the 2 names in bold svp;-) All the top 12 corps since 72 didn't have an officially titled show. Shouldn't we create one for those that have none? That would be fun. I've both librettos that MikeD mentioned. They were souveniers to me. I go to a show with an open mind and don't read reviews until after.

A few months ago I read my 77 autograph book. Shirley cleverly wrote most of our repertoire in my book. The last sentence says "well my hand is 'killing' me from all this writing so keep in 'tux' eh?" 2 of our 13 song selections were 'Killing Me Softly' and 'Tuxedo Junction'. I like juxtaposition.