Only in Alumni-type corps

So yesterday was the first rehearsal of the year and been a while for me at practice due to family issues. Pretty good turn out, especially with my section of 2nd Baris having five there. Kinda look around and realize "Oh crap...". I'm the only one in the seciton who is not in my 20s (and I'm 53 ). We have a few 45+ in the first and 3rds, but I'm it by a good margin in the 2nds. :shutup::blink:

Then I remember our horn instructor plays 2nd Bari. Kinda easy to forget him when he's up front and not playing with us. :tongue: Only have him beat by a few years I think.

Any other offbeat and/or funny stuff out there?

Edit: Just remembered that two of the parents of my fellow 2nd Baris play 3rd Bari. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

So yesterday was the first rehearsal of the year and been a while for me at practice due to family issues. Pretty good turn out, especially with my section of 2nd Baris having five there. Kinda look around and realize "Oh crap...". I'm the only one in the seciton who is not in my 20s (and I'm 53 ). We have a few 45+ in the first and 3rds, but I'm it by a good margin in the 2nds. :shutup::blink:

Then I remember our horn instructor plays 2nd Bari. Kinda easy to forget him when he's up front and not playing with us. :tongue: Only have him beat by a few years I think.

Edit: Just remembered that two of the parents of my fellow 2nd Baris play 3rd Bari. :worthy:

how well do I know the feeling I do DCA & Alumni as of today I am the oldest member of my Dca corp & 1 of the younger 1s in the alumni 53 is not that bad as long as you enjoy your self

how well do I know the feeling I do DCA & Alumni as of today I am the oldest member of my Dca corp & 1 of the younger 1s in the alumni 53 is not that bad as long as you enjoy your self

Oh I'm enjoying myself a lot. I joined a Senior corps at age 16 so what goes around, comes around. :tongue: And seeing new blood always looks good for a corps future.

Our whole 2nd bari line was born in 1944 none of us are quitting anytime soon!

I'm the only one in the seciton who is not in my 20s (and I'm 53 ). We have a few 45+ in the first and 3rds, but I'm it by a good margin in the 2nds.

If you're only 53, why alumni? Why not competitive? LOL (We all do what we can do, depending on health, time etc).

If you're only 53, why alumni? Why not competitive? LOL (We all do what we can do, depending on health, time etc).

LMAO, yep mainly time, family (my wife & I still have 3 out of 4 parents around with average age of 80) and that #### work thing. And my commute to practice is only 35-40 miles each way so it's a good fit.

LMAO, yep mainly time, family (my wife & I still have 3 out of 4 parents around with average age of 80) and that #### work thing. And my commute to practice is only 35-40 miles each way so it's a good fit.

######, Jim, stop whinin'!!!!!! I can still remember (barely) being 53. It really wasn't so bad. I thought Roosevelt was a pretty good president.

Come and talk with me in eighteen years, when you're my age (assuming I'm still vertical).

Seriously though, someone told me last season that they had calculated the average age of Hawthorne's alumni - 59 years old. I don't know how accurate that was, but I do know that someone else is calculating that same information off the membership sheets right now. The result should be most interesting.

i'm 41...old man of the bass line. youngest is 25....a kid I first taught in HS 10 years ago.

that makes me feel old

######, Jim, stop whinin'!!!!!! I can still remember (barely) being 53. It really wasn't so bad. I thought Roosevelt was a pretty good president.

So what was Teddy like? :devil::tongue:

Come and talk with me in eighteen years, when you're my age (assuming I'm still vertical).

Seriously though, someone told me last season that they had calculated the average age of Hawthorne's alumni - 59 years old. I don't know how accurate that was, but I do know that someone else is calculating that same information off the membership sheets right now. The result should be most interesting.

LOL, my dad retired from full time work at 60 (not quite his choice) and left his part timer at about 70. With the exception of not driving at nights if he can help it and his quota of 2-3 naps a day he's what I hope to be like at 77 (IOW still plugging along). Lancers have an age range of around 20 to mid 70s and that's the folks who do parades. Baris are around 20 to 60 so good mix there too.

My two biggest laughs last year came from two doctors. My regular doc was thinking of sending me for an early stress test because I sit on my butt at work all day. He asked about physical activities in my spare time and I said "I do parades...". He said that was good as he was reaching for his perscription pad. When I finished with "... while playing a horn" he put the pad back in his pocket and never said another word about it. :tongue:

Had a belly button hernia operation last year and that doc had been around a while and thought he had heard everything. Then post-op I asked about when I could start parading again he stopped dead in his tracks and had to ask for details. Look on his face was "Finally.... something new". Think I made his day.

I just love Memorial Day and 4th of July when someone asks what I'm doing for the Holiday and I say "Couple of parades". When they say something about me liking to watch I say "#### no, I'm in 'em". Then I point to a picture of the corps have up at my cubicle.... Then I point to me in the pic. :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Our whole 2nd bari line was born in 1944 none of us are quitting anytime soon!

That's awesome!