DCI rules proposals released

Number of mid-show standing ovations. Not that hard.

Again, as I said yesterday, stop making me agree with you!

Just how will we quantify audience effect?

Science. But for real. Things that appeal to the masses:

- Melody (This is why jingles can be such an important element of branding. Anyone from the Chicagoland area can sing you the Empire Carpet jingle.)

- Novelty (Especially in visual design, hence the continual reinvention of graphic design and mediums of advertising.)

- Primacy/Recency (What about a show will cause me to continue to care? What will I remember about the show?)

Among other things. Did I just maybe somewhat agree with our silly friend? :blink:

Pass. Not everything that is successfully communicated to an audience elicits a standing ovation. In fact, some of the most successful moments of connection are the ones that are met with the most respectful silence.

That being said, I'd be all in favor of Mason's proposal (and don't really care one way or the other about the other two).

• Like 5

mine's better...

Mine has hand controls for proper inputting of a quantifiable number that can be utilized for proper scientific analysis of audience input.

Pass. Not everything that is successfully communicated to an audience elicits a standing ovation. In fact, some of the most successful moments of connection are the ones that are met with the most respectful silence.

That being said, I'd be all in favor of Mason's proposal (and don't really care one way or the other about the other two).

Yeah, the problem with Mason's proposal is the earliest it could be implemented into DCI is 2014. We are in the 2012 year now and I would admit, this is something needing trial. Heck, Mason's corps isn't even competing in Great Eight events yet.

So, I see trial adopted at soonest in the 2013 season and adoption at earliest in 2014.

Yeah, the problem with Mason's proposal is the earliest it could be implemented into DCI is 2014. We are in the 2012 year now and I would admit, this is something needing trial. Heck, Mason's corps isn't even competing in Great Eight events yet.

So, I see trial adopted at soonest in the 2013 season and adoption at earliest in 2014.

That timeline would still make the adoption of the caption quicker than how long it took for us to get three-valve horns once the proposal was officially presented.

1 and 2 are no-brainers.

I have no problem with an Entertainment Effect Caption, but I don't think it should be 10% of a show, on first usage.

It should only be a difference-maker in an otherwise close race.

Look, Mason is a smart guy. He knows everyone loves his little Scouts to death, no matter what they do. It's like a big family, and everyone knows who the favorite kid is....he can do no wrong, gets away with crap all the time, you know what I mean.

10 pts broken in to tenths will make it possible for a corps like Madison 2010 to jump about 5 places, strictly based on making the audience stand up, regardless of the crap they're being fed.

If that's the entire point of this caption, I'll be enjoying shows less and less, because more time will be placed on schlock, and less on subtlety.

I'd feel a lot better about it if were 5 pts or less.

• Like 5

This would work sometimes, but you also have to take into account where the show is... of course BD is going to get a lot of love out west, just like the Red Team will get a lot of love at the Dubuque show, etc...

I'd feel a lot better about it if were 5 pts or less.

Agree.

5 points is enough for those "emotional" shows to kick it up a few spots without it becoming a "peg the clap-o-meter" @ 10 points.

I think it should definitely be tweaked and trialed, just to see how things might shake out. After all, these new G8 shows talked about different ways of scoring . . .why not use something like that for a start?