Dot marching vs. being in the form

Discussion about the pro's and con's of marching to the dot vs marching within the form.

I like pretty forms and clean transitions between forms with impecable marching. Whatever method a corps uses to achieve this doesn't matter to me.

Edited by euphplayer07

I like pretty forms and clean transitions between forms with impecable marching. Whatever method a corps uses to achieve this doesn't matter to me.

Placing more emphesis on dot vs form has resulted in poor transitions. Corps who are teaching their students to just go to their dots and to ignore the forms are creating a lot of problems for themselves visually, and analizing their shows gives us proof.

• Like 2

Placing more emphesis on dot vs form has resulted in poor transitions. Corps who are teaching their students to just go to their dots and to ignore the forms are creating a lot of problems for themselves visually, and analizing their shows gives us proof.

Example? The example you picked for the other thread was SCV 2010 from San Antonio. Of course it's not going to be Finals Clean in July.

Like Howdy has said, I feel like dot emphasis marching results in clean pictures as written on the page, but dirtiness (in general) in all of the counts between pages. Blue Knights most years is an example, I believe, of the dirtiness of the dot emphasis method, most apparent any time there are rotating "straight" lines.

I say "straight" because at the checkpoints they are for the most part spot on (dot on?) but the counts inbetween the lines warp. The ESPN broadcast from 06 where they freeze framed the one swastika drill move in BK's show is one example of this.

No offense to BK, they sound wonderful, but their ensemble visual cleanliness has been sub par (2009 and earlier, I haven't seen the 2010 show from box angle on video yet).

This discussion happens a few times a year, and it's absurd. If someone asks you if you march "dot" or "form" the ONLY correct answer is "yes". March dots but be aware of the form. March the form and be aware of dots. It's all the same.

/thread

• Like 1

Actually, those corps that use a dot system spend an extra amount of time on transitions because of the misconception you stated.

Discussion about the pro's and con's of marching to the dot vs marching within the form.

This argument is skewed because its not like a corps that teaches you march to the dot doesn't teach you also to march within the forms. Those two techniques aren't techniques that can't work together and used effectively by talented staff members and teachers.