Time to vote

Reason for not attending DCA shows   

66 members have voted

1. 1. Why have you not been too or limited your attendance at DCA shows

• Ticket Prices
    • Travel Time, other Expences and economy
    • Bored with the majority of the shows and programming
    • Tired of the Buccanears winning
    • REal world and Life is getting in the way.
    • Im attending more DCA shows than ever. And I love puppies and clouds.

I realize this poll is not perfect but it should give us a gauge of why the DCP forum members are not attending DCA shows or limiting their DCA show experiences.

Feel free to discuss further if only answering one question is not enough

Edited by camel lips

I realize this poll is not perfect but it should give us a gauge of why the DCP forum members are not attending DCA shows or limiting their DCA show experiences.

Feel free to discuss further if only answering one question is not enough

I know times change and corps must change with the times, but seems to me when I was a youngster, we used to look to the "senior" corps as being entertainment. The days of Sky taking the paint off the stadium walls, The Cabs keeping the audience dancing, the Hurcs putting out pure excitement, etc...are over. Not saying that the present corps are all the same stuff, but it is apparent that many corps are trying to emulate what wins, therefore many (note, not all) clones of the Bucs. Individual identity is lacking, again, this is purely my opinion, so please don't jump on me for it. You could almost take any of the top 5 switch uniforms, and outside of the Bucs performing it better, they are pretty much all the same...again...MY opinion, yours may and probably does vary . :thumbup:

I would vote "money*, travel time and expenses",but with "mitigating circumstances". I already drove the very life out of three mini-vans and one car, exceeding 350,000 miles in the process. This was during my DCA competative days. I am retired now, older and on a fixed income. I am as active today as time, money and age will allow.

* The current economic conditions come into play as well.

I would vote "money*, travel time and expenses",but with "mitigating circumstances". I already drove the very life out of three mini-vans and one car, exceeding 350,000 miles in the process. This was during my DCA competative days. I am retired now, older and on a fixed income. I am as active today as time, money and age will allow.

* The current economic conditions come into play as well.

I think your vote would apply to your circumstances. Mine is similar to yours in many regards. I was torn which one to vote for. If I had more money I would probably attend and travel to more shows. But then again I find myself questioning why I would want to spend hard earned money on something that I would find boring in many cases.

I just don't have the money for it. I start saving in October for the trip to finals and other shows are just out of the question. I will admit that while I appreciate what the Bucs have done, it's time for somebody else to step it up and beat them. That would not deter me from going to a show though.

I think your vote would apply to your circumstances. Mine is similar to yours in many regards. I was torn which one to vote for. If I had more money I would probably attend and travel to more shows. But then again I find myself questioning why I would want to spend hard earned money on something that I would find boring in many cases.

We only differ on the "boring" part. All things equal... If I had a choice to attend a DCA or a DCI show, each being held on the same night.....Look for me at the DCA show. :thumbup:

Where is the, I go to more shows than I did before option? That is my vote. I don't make it up to the championships often, but the prices are reasonable in the southern shows and the entertainment has gotten better for me. Personally, quality is directly reflected in my entertainment, for me. If they aren't good at doing it, it isn't entertaining. I can go to several marching band shows and see bad performances... :satisfied:

Where's the what show option?

I live in Texas. I'm not driving to Georgia, Tennessee, California, or Wisconsin, well maybe Wisconsin to see a show that I'm not performing at and no one from the home team will be at. That might fall under time and money given the 1,000+ miles each way / round trip and the price of gas. Yes I listed California, mile for mile it's still closer to me than Rochester or Annapolis. Even if it is 12+ hours of driving just to get out of Texas going that way. With an 80MPH speed limit for most of that route. That's the posted legal speed limit. Or was in 2007.

Where's the what show option?

I live in Texas. I'm not driving to Georgia, Tennessee, California, or Wisconsin, well maybe Wisconsin to see a show that I'm not performing at and no one from the home team will be at. That might fall under time and money given the 1,000+ miles each way / round trip and the price of gas. Yes I listed California, mile for mile it's still closer to me than Rochester or Annapolis. Even if it is 12+ hours of driving just to get out of Texas going that way. With an 80MPH speed limit for most of that route. That's the posted legal speed limit. Or was in 2007.

Here is where you and I can agree...... distance to a DCA show. While I am on the fringe of what was ONCE DCA, things have changed in the "option" department. Speaking for myself alone, I wanted to march in a DCA corps. I accepted the fact that I would have a minimum commute of 5 and 1/2 hours to the closest corps. (Steel City Ambassadors). That commute eventually increased to 9 and then 14 hours, one way. Several factors came into play that made such travel possible. A steady income, no wife or dependants and by LOWERING my weekly living expenses,I was able to afford the activity. A 12 hour drive just to leave my home state would have made such participation impossible. (Unless I used the airlines).Your options seem restricted to your home state, unfortunately. I drew the line at 14 hours for ONE SEASON. My average commute over a 10 year period was probably 7 1/2 hours, one way. Such an expenditure on a weekly basis in TODAYS economy would be out of the question, even for ME. Cincinnati is almost central to the three regions that currently make up DCA. Even with that fact, I am retired on a fixed income and no longer young enough to participate at the level I once did. BUT..... I accepted the fact that to participate I would spend more time and money than somebody from the east coast in order to participate in DCA. I NEVER complained about that fact. I did what I wanted to do and was rewarded with a HUGE network of long time friends. That alone, is worth far more than a box full of rings, medals or patches! :thumbup:

Sorry Ed! I won't vote on this one because it only has negative responses. I don't think any of them apply in my case. :thumbdown: