Wouldnt It Be Cool?

Since today is Martin Luther King Jr. day, ive been thinking about the drum corps actitivy from a demographic stand point. Historically, drum corps has been a predominately Caucasian activity. African Americans tend to be attracted more to show style HBCU bands, but wouldnt it be cool if there was an all African American drum corps??? Im not trying to sound racist with this posting at all either. Its just that, ive always wanted there to be more minorities represented in large numbers around drum corps, but its just not happening, be it demographics, or the fact that many minorities arent exposed to it. I long for the day when it does happen though!

Discuss, Comment, Scold..etc, etc.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Since today is Martin Luther King Jr. day, ive been thinking about the drum corps actitivy from a demographic stand point. Historically, drum corps has been a predominately Caucasian activity. African Americans tend to be attracted more to show style HBCU bands, but wouldnt it be cool if there was an all African American drum corps??? Im not trying to sound racist with this posting at all either. Its just that, ive always wanted there to be more minorities represented in large numbers around drum corps, but its just not happening, be it demographics, or the fact that many minorities arent exposed to it. I long for the day when it does happen though!

Discuss, Comment, Scold..etc, etc.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Actually there used to be some back in the Day. Senior Corps," Washington Carver Gay Blades" back east and Junior Corps, "Rangers" and the " Giles Yellow Jackets" in Chicago.

I marched with a couple guys in the Scouts in 1976 who came from the CMCC Warriors which was an all black corps from NYC. If I remember they were pretty #### good in the mid 70's.

Edited by bass5

If my memory serves me correctly, the Wynn Center Toppers from NYC were either the first, or one of the first, all-black drum corps in the United States.

There also was an all-black, or at least mostly black, corps in the Washington DC area called the VIPs.

I remember competing against them in the old Eastern States circuit in the early 1970s.

I don't think their mandate was exclusionary, but Joliet Kingsmen were predominantly African American, and competed up through '03.

All Asian corps?