An Angel in Blue Dances in Heaven, With a Childlike Grin

Ned Baldinger, The Greatest of Buccaneers, 1942-2011

It is with deep, profound sadness that we announce the passing of Roy E. "Ned" Baldinger, who passed away on January 25, 2011 in a motor vehicle accident.

The roster of Buccaneers who have achieved legendary status in our 54-year history is long indeed. Among the greatest of these is Ned Baldinger – not because he commanded the spotlight or was larger than life, but because he epitomized the very best of what the Buccaneers are about – commitment, grace, humility, class, excellence and a deep, abiding love of corps. His greatness was not the result of celebrity but the power of his example and his unyielding support, enthusiasm and optimism.

Ned's Buccaneers resume was impressive and spanned virtually the entire history of the corps. A lifelong resident of Schulykill Haven, PA, Ned joined the corps in November of 1961 as a 19-year-old soprano player. He marched 21 consecutive seasons with the Balance in Blue, from 1962 to 1982. He was a member of the Bucs' first four championship corps and was the most ardent of cheerleaders for the past six. He was a member of the Buccaneer Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps since its founding and was also a member of the Belvedere Alumni Association. He was named the "Buccaneer of the 1970s" and was a charter inductee into the Buccaneers Hall of Fame in 1995. In 2002 he was inducted as an associate member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. He served as the corps president, vice president and treasurer.

As impressive as Ned's accomplishments as a musician and performer might have been, his greatest gifts to the Buccaneers were simple, yet profound. He gave us himself, and what a gift it was. He was steadfast in his support for drum corps and for the Buccaneers. He didn't speak ill of anyone and rare is the person who would have a negative word about Ned. He didn't complain about the way things were, but worked hard to make them better – with optimism and good cheer. It was contagious.

He was always there. Like a strong blue rock in our foundation, or an anchor, if you will. He was always around rehearsals with his trademark grin on his face, laughing and giddy like a kid in a candy store as he watched his beloved corps. The picture we share is a perfect representation of Ned's affection for his corps. Over the winters he was a Sunday afternoon fixture in the back row of the Twin Valley High School auditorium, mp3 recorder in hand, marveling at the progress the corps was making. His enthusiasm was infectious and his love for his fellow Buccaneers ran deep. He had no children of his own, but he was a favorite father and brother figure to decades of Buccaneers.

Ned had a profound, almost spiritual, understanding of the role drum corps and the Buccaneers played in his life. "This is who I am. I'm a Buccaneer," he would say. The Buccaneers were as much a part of his identity as his DNA. He was passionate about the intrinsic value of drum corps and was determined to help future generations have the same life-altering experience he had. He was a mentor and sponsor to numerous members and their triumphs were his, and their worries were his as well. He was a persistent advocate for member sponsorships. More than anything, perhaps, this is his legacy to the Buccaneers – the sense of commitment and responsibility, visible and invisible, to pass the gift of the Buccaneers onto future generations. He secured this legacy with the ultimate gift of including the Buccaneers as an important part of his estate plan. He did so and willingly spoke to others about it. Not to draw attention to himself but to encourage others to follow his example. He absolutely loved his corps and wanted others who shared his love to act on it.

A viewing for family and friends will be held on Friday evening from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday morning from 9:00 until 11:00 a.m. at Geschwindt-Stabingas Funeral Home, Inc., 25 East Main Street, Schuylkill Haven, PA. A Celebration of Life Funeral Service will follow at 11:00 a.m. Saturday. Interment will be at Schuylkill Memorial Park, Schuylkill Haven, PA.

Memorial contributions are welcome in Ned's memory to Covenant United Methodist Church, 209 East Main Street, Schuylkill Haven PA 17972, the Belvedere Alumni Association, P.O. Box 33, Schuylkill Haven PA 17972 or the Buccaneer Alumni Association, 108 Fox Hill Drive, Wernersville PA 19565.

If we could carve the face of Mt. Penn in Reading to be the Buccaneers' equivalent of Mt. Rushmore, Ned's face would be there. Grinning, of course. American film actress Frances Farmer once said: "I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment." Ned was the truest and most loyal of friends, and we have been blessed beyond measure to call him so. We will miss him terribly, and we thank him for sharing himself with us so generously.

"We're all good men, yes we're Buccaneers…." Rest in peace, friend.

Edited by TomMoore

What a shock to the Bucanner family & drum corps in general. If I attended a DCA show anywhere on the East coast, a Buc's practice at Twin Valley, at Buc's field or a Buc's Alumni practice; Ned was there. It was just expected; Ned would be there. If he missed a rehersal, someone would ask "is Ned OK"?

I first marched with Ned in '64, the middle 70's & for 15 years in the alumni corps. When ever you saw him, his reaction was as if you were his long lost brother & he hadn't seen you in 20 years!

Tom, thanks for your kind and incitefull tribute to our departed brother, Ned. Ned, you will be missed.

Terrible loss to the Buccaneers organization and to all who knew him. Ned was a "constant light" to me and countless others. A steady fixture at all things Buccaneer. We all could count on Ned, no matter what the need.

May God bless.

RIP Ned from the Westshoremen Family. You were indeed a great guy

Thank you Tom. You have so eloquently captured the essence of Ned and what he meant to all of us. Many are still in shock. I know I am. In my humble opinion I would say that 'he's the best of us'.....I will miss him much.....

Ned Baldinger, The Greatest of Buccaneers, 1942-2011

It is with deep, profound sadness that we announce the passing of Roy E. "Ned" Baldinger, who passed away on January 25, 2011 in a motor vehicle accident.

The roster of Buccaneers who have achieved legendary status in our 54-year history is long indeed. Among the greatest of these is Ned Baldinger – not because he commanded the spotlight or was larger than life, but because he epitomized the very best of what the Buccaneers are about – commitment, grace, humility, class, excellence and a deep, abiding love of corps. His greatness was not the result of celebrity but the power of his example and his unyielding support, enthusiasm and optimism.

Ned's Buccaneers resume was impressive and spanned virtually the entire history of the corps. A lifelong resident of Schulykill Haven, PA, Ned joined the corps in November of 1961 as a 19-year-old soprano player. He marched 21 consecutive seasons with the Balance in Blue, from 1962 to 1982. He was a member of the Bucs' first four championship corps and was the most ardent of cheerleaders for the past six. He was a member of the Buccaneer Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps since its founding and was also a member of the Belvedere Alumni Association. He was named the "Buccaneer of the 1970s" and was a charter inductee into the Buccaneers Hall of Fame in 1995. In 2002 he was inducted as an associate member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. He served as the corps president, vice president and treasurer.

As impressive as Ned's accomplishments as a musician and performer might have been, his greatest gifts to the Buccaneers were simple, yet profound. He gave us himself, and what a gift it was. He was steadfast in his support for drum corps and for the Buccaneers. He didn't speak ill of anyone and rare is the person who would have a negative word about Ned. He didn't complain about the way things were, but worked hard to make them better – with optimism and good cheer. It was contagious.

He was always there. Like a strong blue rock in our foundation, or an anchor, if you will. He was always around rehearsals with his trademark grin on his face, laughing and giddy like a kid in a candy store as he watched his beloved corps. The picture we share is a perfect representation of Ned's affection for his corps. Over the winters he was a Sunday afternoon fixture in the back row of the Twin Valley High School auditorium, mp3 recorder in hand, marveling at the progress the corps was making. His enthusiasm was infectious and his love for his fellow Buccaneers ran deep. He had no children of his own, but he was a favorite father and brother figure to decades of Buccaneers.

Ned had a profound, almost spiritual, understanding of the role drum corps and the Buccaneers played in his life. "This is who I am. I'm a Buccaneer," he would say. The Buccaneers were as much a part of his identity as his DNA. He was passionate about the intrinsic value of drum corps and was determined to help future generations have the same life-altering experience he had. He was a mentor and sponsor to numerous members and their triumphs were his, and their worries were his as well. He was a persistent advocate for member sponsorships. More than anything, perhaps, this is his legacy to the Buccaneers – the sense of commitment and responsibility, visible and invisible, to pass the gift of the Buccaneers onto future generations. He secured this legacy with the ultimate gift of including the Buccaneers as an important part of his estate plan. He did so and willingly spoke to others about it. Not to draw attention to himself but to encourage others to follow his example. He absolutely loved his corps and wanted others who shared his love to act on it.

A viewing for family and friends will be held on Friday evening from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday morning from 9:00 until 11:00 a.m. at Geschwindt-Stabingas Funeral Home, Inc., 25 East Main Street, Schuylkill Haven, PA. A Celebration of Life Funeral Service will follow at 11:00 a.m. Saturday. Interment will be at Schuylkill Memorial Park, Schuylkill Haven, PA.

Memorial contributions are welcome in Ned's memory to Covenant United Methodist Church, 209 East Main Street, Schuylkill Haven PA 17972, the Belvedere Alumni Association, P.O. Box 33, Schuylkill Haven PA 17972 or the Buccaneer Alumni Association, 108 Fox Hill Drive, Wernersville PA 19565.

If we could carve the face of Mt. Penn in Reading to be the Buccaneers' equivalent of Mt. Rushmore, Ned's face would be there. Grinning, of course. American film actress Frances Farmer once said: "I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment." Ned was the truest and most loyal of friends, and we have been blessed beyond measure to call him so. We will miss him terribly, and we thank him for sharing himself with us so generously.

"We're all good men, yes we're Buccaneers…." Rest in peace, friend.

Ned was one of the people that made you realize how special that Buccaneers were just by seeing him enjoy watching a rehearsal or show. His limitless enthusiasm and encouragement weekend after weekend never waivered. I can't even count how many times I saw Ned at Twin Valley in the auditorium with a big grin on his face while he gave me a thumbs up and a wink after he heard the corps play. I will miss those moments very much. Rest in Peace my friend.

We said goodbye to our beloved brother Ned today at a very emotional and yet uplifting service. The standing-room-only crowd was treated to stories about Ned and we couldn't help but reaffirm what we already knew many times over - we have been blessed to have known Ned and to have called him our brother in Blue and our friend. He will be missed. Ain't none finer than Ned Baldinger.

Many, many thanks to the Buccaneer Alumni in attendance. members of the corps circled the congregation and opened the service with the Navy Hymn and closed it with Canon in D. At the cemetery , these fine folks braved the cold and snow to perform Canon in D and Beyond the Sea. We sang the corps song with extra gusto for Ned, who I'm sure was pleased - though he was probably a bit embarrassed that it was all for him. He always put others before himself.

Rest in peace, brother. We know you'll be with us every step of the way.

It is important to remember that just because a person has died, doesn't mean that they're not with us anymore. And I am not even talking about anything necessarily spiritual; that person's impact upon the lives of others continues to reverberate, sometimes in ways that cannot be predicted, for years to come.

Goodbye, Ned. Thanks for everything.

It seems that too many special people are being taken away from us lately. My sincerest condolences to his family and the Buccaneer organization.