Looking for that one solution.

I’d like to address this too as I thought about it before, when Bob Jacobs came on here on behalf of DCI. And yeah, I was hard on Bob but not really, he gave up too soon. I was about to reach out to him and teach him about messages boards as he was failing

Message boards such as this require their own skill set. It’s not as simple as posting ones thoughts…if you just stumble into a message and spew your guts, you will get eaten alive, regardless. They are not for everyone and not everyone knows how to utilize them well. Boards like this have rules, rules and etiquette beyond the terms of service as well as rules in between the TOS. Bob violated one of the biggest un-written rules of messages boards with me personally, right off the bat; he was not skilled in the art of comminuting effectively in this sort of medium.

Another problem was his stonewalling, his Newspeaks, as I would call it (thanks Orwell), giving an answer without really giving an answer. That doesn’t work well in a text based medium. People can see through the rhetoric much more clearly and distill it down to it’s nothingness than go back and compare it to their other posts and start poking holes based upon incongruities. That sort of posting serves no one, you might as well just have us read the press release.

Personally, I don’t think anyone from DCI should really be posting on here in an official capacity, Boo has achieved about the best balance and no, he usually is not speaking on DCI’s behalf but I have watched him take unmerited beating because he is associated with DCI. He holds his own

I think most of us can tell the posters that are comfortable in this medium, community. They are often the most divisive posters mainly because they are the most effective in delivering a message.

Never be boring kids, you got an audience here, it’s better to be wrong and have an opinion than it is to lose your readers interest. And as tone is often lost in a post and intent is rarely ever known, as the author, it is up to you to make sure you are understood. You also have to close the holes but not too well, you need a bit a chum to spur a debate, to involve people in a topic. The best thought out posts, that is complete and displays sound logic and is well communicated will generated few replies, you gotta give them an ‘in’…something to sink their teeth into and join the discussion

Thirdcoast – I’m not sure what idea of mine you like. In real life, I’m know as the big idea but light on details person so I just throw them out…I’m not afraid of the criticism, being wrong or failing to defend them….I relish the challenge to see if my ideas are really sound or just junk. That’s why I can work in this medium, usually. But I’d guess maybe you mean the one about it’s to for the G-8 to go do their own thing and let the rest of DCI get back to drum corps. The G-8 is not happy w/ DCI and DCI doesn’t seem happy with the G-8, so why force it? Don’t fear it embrace it. I think we could have 2 circuits. In my best of all worlds, DCI would go back to rules from around 2000, use any key but dump the amps. Restructure a bit to get costs down for the corps, become a more traditional circuit. G-8 can go all out marching band circus. I see it as a win-win considering the current discourse, fans and marchers can pick their flavor of drum corps and if the 2 circuits work together so they are not activity competing directing w/ each other (not scheduling near by shows on near by dates) I’m guessing most fans would pick both

A bit more towards Garfield’s post – I disagree that DCP is the problem and that we should change it to suit the directors again. Many people are sick of the directors controlling the medium and the debate; this is where we get our say and that’s why this place works and is popular.

What you suggest sound like those useless and often intentionally misleading political press conferences, complete with softball, planted questions to make the politician look good, allow them to repeat their talking points. I’d rather just read a press release than be insulted with 1 sided spin control that I’m to accept as debate

When debate is good, it’s challenging and it involves for more than facts. It also involves presentation and positioning…and several other things too.

sorry, I broke another rule, one I'm prone to do that others at my board call the big wall of text, less is often more, get to the point...or break points up and spread over several posts as not to overwhelm

I respect this.

Oh, I forgot, thirdcoast - go read Hops blog, I looked at it for the first time in forever, will give you some sort of idea, read the post from Oct 29th, I found it interesting...I was kind of shocked at how juvenile, anti-intellectual and needy Hops blog is and with all his mewling, if it were my place I’d be embarrassed for him.

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot, thirdcoast - go read Hops blog, I looked at it for the first time in forever, will give you some sort of idea, read the post from Oct 29th, I found it interesting...I was kind of shocked at how juvenile, anti-intellectual and needy Hops blog is and with all his mewling, if it were my place Id be embarrassed for him.

With a blog if you are there, you kinda take what you are looking for and leave the rest. I will check it out.

Edited by thirdcoast

Tt- I guess we may look at the things going on in the activity ... should I say, different. Wouldnt it be great if Fred came on here and told us how he felt about lets say... declining attendance, just one example. Wouldnt that be cool to know how the ED of the TROOPERS felt about such things? I know I would. I guess I could e-mail him and get that personal satisfaction, or wait till he stops by my house agian, but that does not help here on DCP. Not to throw Fred under the bus, I could of said anybody, Sal S., Cris K., Steve V., Dan A., Todd R., Mark S., Dan P., Roman B. 1 or 2, Mike L., I could go on and on but seeing that you are Tt I went that route. Not everybody has access to so many people, I dont want this to become personal, I would like to see the people in charge of our activity tell us how they feel, right here on DCP. Without the threat of being attacked, my fresh approch to finding some insite into the minds of the people in charge, and maybe just maybe someone would come up with that one solution,... lets say to declineing attendance. So I have to ask, can I count on you?

I didn't take any umbrage with your use of Fred Morris (of the Troopers, not to be confused with Fred Morrison of the Crossmen for those trying to follow along!). I got your point, so no worries.

I guess my next question is this: Can you count on me for what? Going to shows? YES! Talking publicly about what I hear is coming out of certain corps' leadership? Nope. Can't do it.

I will always let the Troopers organization represent itself when it comes to their business. I am very happy to work within the bounds of alumni business and do what I can to support the corps, but I would be mistaken if I thought it was my place to discuss the opinions of anyone associated with the corps.

Having said that, do I think most corps would benefit from a more open presence in places like DCP? Personally, my answer is "yes."

I think part of the problem we face as an activity is a lack of info-dumping. I think DCI and drum corps (plural) need to saturate as many forms of media as possible and demonstrate what they do. Leave the "why we do it" for those special reflective moments and just let people experience it. We need more public video access - viral video is a must. We need drum corps embassadors who can read their audience immediately and speak specifically with that audience with great facility, sincerity and charm. DCI and corps need to generate easily-digestible language that speaks to various fan bases and tweak the message accordingly.

As for the "one solution," I suppose I have some thoughts there, too:

1. Level the competitive playing field by trimming off some points in the design-oriented captions. Give more control of the points to the bodies on the field.

2. Take out the synths. I won't lie - I don't like them, period. I gave them a shot, and I think they are pointless. (not trying to start the debate - we all know where that will go) But I actually have what I think is a logical reason to eliminate them: They aren't entirely controlled by the bodies on the field. It's bad enough that design teams are part of the scoring process, but now we've got a staff member directly controlling balance in competition. I don't like that one bit.

3. Do something, ANYTHING, to stop the slotting from year to year. Make outcomes less predictable and people will want to watch.

That's just a few starter ideas.

• Like 6

There is obviously no one idea to fix whats going on. I hope I dont violate any separation of church and corps laws by saying this but DCI fans are like church goers. At my church there are two services. Traditional and New Age. The traditional cats dont like what the new age dogs are doing and the new age dogs fall asleep in the traditional service. Just like anytime DCI attempts to make a change to stay current it upsets the a lot of the old school folks. Maybe there should be two competitions?!

I like both, I am all about the old school Drum and Bugle Corps, the new stuff just blows me away. I have either played or paid for a Drum Corps show every single year since 81 so I hope I am a fan of the new stuff. Ive only been dissapointed like 3 times(ha ha).

Edited by thirdcoast

I didn't take any umbrage with your use of Fred Morris (of the Troopers, not to be confused with Fred Morrison of the Crossmen for those trying to follow along!). I got your point, so no worries.

I guess my next question is this: Can you count on me for what? Going to shows? YES! Talking publicly about what I hear is coming out of certain corps' leadership? Nope. Can't do it.

I will always let the Troopers organization represent itself when it comes to their business. I am very happy to work within the bounds of alumni business and do what I can to support the corps, but I would be mistaken if I thought it was my place to discuss the opinions of anyone associated with the corps.

Having said that, do I think most corps would benefit from a more open presence in places like DCP? Personally, my answer is "yes."

I think part of the problem we face as an activity is a lack of info-dumping. I think DCI and drum corps (plural) need to saturate as many forms of media as possible and demonstrate what they do. Leave the "why we do it" for those special reflective moments and just let people experience it. We need more public video access - viral video is a must. We need drum corps embassadors who can read their audience immediately and speak specifically with that audience with great facility, sincerity and charm. DCI and corps need to generate easily-digestible language that speaks to various fan bases and tweak the message accordingly.

1. Level the competitive playing field by trimming off some points in the design-oriented captions. Give more control of the points to the bodies on the field.

2. Take out the synths. I won't lie - I don't like them, period. I gave them a shot, and I think they are pointless. (not trying to start the debate - we all know where that will go) But I actually have what I think is a logical reason to eliminate them: They aren't entirely controlled by the bodies on the field. It's bad enough that design teams are part of the scoring process, but now we've got a staff member directly controlling balance in competition. I don't like that one bit.

3. Do something, ANYTHING, to stop the slotting from year to year. Make outcomes less predictable and people will want to watch.

Thanks, I appreciate that post. Honest and to the point.

good thoughts about using the media age to a far better advantage than done now. music educator magazines alone won't do it

• Like 1