The Last Serenade In Brass

got my flyer today....$20 on Saturday and April 9th, 2011 in the Forum Building in Harrisburg PA.

In attendance:

The United States Naval Academy

The Hawthorne caballeros Alumni

The Bridgemen Alumni

Park City Pride

The Buccaneer Alumni

Skyliners Alumni

Hanover Lancers

Reilly Raiders

Mighty St. Joes

Swing House

The Hip Pickles

and the founders of Serenade in Brass, the Westshoremen Alumni

I just have to hope I'm not crying when i walk off of the stage

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You & me both. It's gonna be one helluva night. And WHAT a lineup!!!

If I wasn't already performing twice, I'd be buying a ticket for SURE!

You & me both. It's gonna be one helluva night. And WHAT a lineup!!!

If I wasn't already performing twice, I'd be buying a ticket for SURE!

you know, just thinking about it, there are a couple not so obvious reasons why the curtain will close for the final time,...........these are speculations of mine,......

with the 12 corps there, that is probobly in the neighborhood of 1000 people performing that are not buying a ticket, but yet are sitting in the audience,...........and during the early years of the Serenade, the line up was composed of competing corps,...........lately it has been a total line up of alumni/concert corps,.......discuss......

I admit I was hoping to see at least 1 competitive corps on the line up for this last show.

Is seeing a competing corps in April even possible anymore? Not slamming todays DC but with members living further away the corps are not ready as early as they used to be. SIB used to be in March and competing corps (well except for the Service corps who else were there) were coming in with music stands at times but at least ready to play. Then we had the Memorial Day exhibitions which had corps doing a full field show. Can only remember learning drill right before the show one time but that was during a rainy Spring. Only competing corps I saw since I came back in 2004 have been Cabs with "Carmen". Wonder what would be the feeling if a competing corps came out this early with a not so great show. Would that affect things in the coming competing season?

Most interesting thing I saw (from my biased viewpoint) was three corps out of nine without "Alumni" in their title (Hanover, MSJ, Reilly). Well PCP doesn't have it in the title either but that wasn't the name of a competing corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Is seeing a competing corps in April even possible anymore? Not slamming todays DC but with members living further away the corps are not ready as early as they used to be. SIB used to be in March and competing corps (well except for the Service corps who else were there) were coming in with music stands at times but at least ready to play. Then we had the Memorial Day exhibitions which had corps doing a full field show. Can only remember learning drill right before the show one time but that was during a rainy Spring. Only competing corps I saw since I came back in 2004 have been Cabs with "Carmen". Wonder what would be the feeling if a competing corps came out this early with a not so great show. Would that affect things in the coming competing season?

Most interesting thing I saw (from my biased viewpoint) was three corps out of nine without "Alumni" in their title (Hanover, MSJ, Reilly). Well PCP doesn't have it in the title either but that wasn't the name of a competing corps.

Not in my recollection, Jim. the couple of times we performed at Serenade we knew it early in the winter and prepared for that date. No stands - getting through the last tune may have been a 'cross your heart finger crosser', but definitely no stands or music.

of course, those were the days when you may have kept a piece or two from the previous year.

Haven't attended in many years, but definitely considering the pilgrimage.

Not in my recollection, Jim. the couple of times we performed at Serenade we knew it early in the winter and prepared for that date. No stands - getting through the last tune may have been a 'cross your heart finger crosser', but definitely no stands or music.

of course, those were the days when you may have kept a piece or two from the previous year.

Haven't attended in many years, but definitely considering the pilgrimage.

The March dates were the first couple of SIBs. Can't remember when it changed but remember doing a Gawd awful version of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" in the late 70s. During this time Westshore, Buccs (at the Rajah) and Crossmen would round robin to each others shows but can't remember who had the first show (maybe us).

As for the music stands, IIRC (that's a big if) think it depended more on personal circumstances. Mainly if a corps had a new person or (my case a few years) away at college and dind't have time to memorize the charts. And that's if the corps allowed these members to use a stand.

Note to self: GOTTA find the flyer from the first SIB in the cellar. Ran across it last year and hope I dind't move it too far. At least I have some of the tapes.. too bad the original SIB recording got trashed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I find it interesting that The Bridgemen are using the "Alumni" term again. I recall the director saying that they were going to be solely known as The Bridgemen from there on forward. This was a few years ago, at the end of a rehearsal. I, as not having marched the competitive corps, liked the idea. Made us non-alumni feel less like outsiders.

I find it interesting that The Bridgemen are using the "Alumni" term again. I recall the director saying that they were going to be solely known as The Bridgemen from there on forward. This was a few years ago, at the end of a rehearsal. I, as not having marched the competitive corps, liked the idea. Made us non-alumni feel less like outsiders.

Maybe a glitch in the annoncement then. Hanover has dropped the Alumni tag but the parade banner and website banner still has "that word". LOL, first I heard of "Lancers Alumni" I thought it was previous members only until I heard the age range and because I knew when the corps broke up, I knew it was NOT all Alumni. I'm with Gary on using "Alumni" mugs up recruiting.

LMAO, I can only think of three ex-competing Lancers in the Bari line and probably four other Baris who competed in other corps. Think the Baris who never did competing corps out number the rest of us. :worthy:

Well Liz ... if you check their website, the terms Bridgemen Alumni Corps and Bridgemen Drum Corps are used throughtout ... even in George Lavelle's farewell, he uses Bridgemen Alumni Corps ... yet, in the Pasta Night ad for 2011 it cites Bridgemen D&B Corps ... so, I guess it's the best of both worlds and the names are used synonymously ... BTW, the parent organization (incorporated) is call the Bridgemen Organization, Inc. ... so, I guess there's a lot of leeway in how the drum corps' appearances are marketed ...

:-)