Live or Fade Away

Stu

A fundamental question is, what is more important, that drumcorps survives? Or that it survives intact? For example, one attempt for it to survive would be have the corps play football against each other... after all, football is popular. And, presuming that recruitment brought in good football players, the winning team would have displayed excellence. But we probably would all agree that it clearly wouldn't be drumcorps. So, back to my original question... suppose it morphs into laser light electro rap-poetry with sexy dance and brass accompaniment, and as a result becomes wildly popular. Would it be worth it? Would drumcorps really have survived? Or would it have adapted itself out of existence?

A fundamental question is, what is more important, that drumcorps survives? Or that it survives intact? For example, one attempt for it to survive would be have the corps play football against each other... after all, football is popular. And, presuming that recruitment brought in good football players, the winning team would have displayed excellence. But we probably would all agree that it clearly wouldn't be drumcorps. So, back to my original question... suppose it morphs into laser light electro rap-poetry with sexy dance and brass accompaniment, and as a result becomes wildly popular. Would it be worth it? Would drumcorps really have survived? Or would it have adapted itself out of existence?

Awww, come on now; it would be fun to see Regiment players tackling Devils players with Gibbs running out on the field arguing with the Ref about a Roughing the Soloist penalty!!! :w00t:

One thing I hope current members understand when they read some of the post here is how little those people matter. A couple hundred thousand people love what they do...a few loud people on the internet who can't accept drum corps for what it is should not have any impact on their experience.

Many of those thousands are legacy fans, by the way...just go to any show and you see a mix of dinos and young fans.

Yes, it's sad that these loud complainers can't enjoy what the members do, but it's a reflection on themselves, not the current MM and designers and staff members.

thats a wonderful approach to take towards paying customers Mike. I mean, so many businesses made millions that way :rolleyes:

and then you wonder why some older fans left? Easy...they were tired of being told they and their money didn't matter.

How do you know it's not?

good point. after all Jabba laugh wasn't legal, and neither was controlling the board from the box, but both happened finals week

And every one of these now professional big marketing opportunities that got their start in drum corps know one thing that you are clearly not able to see or are unwilling to admit. DCI is NOT the appeal that gave them their fan base, it's what they did after, so what sense would it make for them to promo what would largely be seen by their own viewing public as an odd obsession with marching band. Yeah I'm sure Gadd and the likes will jump all over that opportunity.

actually, when asked, many of them mention drum corps and how it played a part in how they got where they are today. I think it's an opportunity worth checking into.

I'm not saying it...it's the trend. College All Star game in Tempe on ESPN2. 1500 in the stands. It did not affect the players' performance.

but DCI doesnt have the corporate sponsorship to help pay the bills.

DCA has way less than 10000 fans. They seem to have an enjoyable weekend. So, it can be done.

DCA is not immune to it either...hence the change to their GE sheets. And worse, they have the issue of an older audience base than DCI has.

but.....DCA makes slow changes, when it makes sense, they don't play the arms race with equipment because they know corps will get stupid spending.

DCA has also seen having finals in the same place forever affects attendance is not good ways. At least they haven't gone into a dome yet

I agree with all but the last statement. I have not seen one thing in the last 6 years to indicate this to be the case. When the ESPN contract ended, I believe DCI gave up wholesale on the "mainstream" notion. They are out to emulate the next closest niche with a larger audience base...HS Marching Bands who compete regionally and nationally. NOT MAINSTREAM at all. Simply part of the same niche with a larger but well related audience. The pitch is to those members to join the drum corps ranks for a summer...maybe two. The pitch is to their parents, grandparents, aunt, uncles, friends, to also become fans of drum corps when it's near you. Go to Indy when you can.

but DCI makes the same regardless of how many people go to local shows. they have a set contract for each non regional/finals show.