Live or Fade Away

Stu

electronics don't fit my sound preference either. and as a result, my attendance has waned. my Friends membership has expired

You have voiced your opinion that you do not like electronics many times; that is true. But you never claimed that you have, or would, completely stop going cold turkey due to that electronic sound preference variation and "then" actually keep going to shows; thus placing yourself in this justification conundrum he finds himself in.

You have voiced your opinion that you do not like electronics many times; that is true. But you never claimed that you have, or would, completely stop going cold turkey due to that electronic sound preference variation and "then" actually keep going to shows; thus placing yourself in this justification conundrum he finds himself in.

incorrect. I did say I would stop, and did for 2 full seasons. In 04 I stayed thru the DCi corps at hershey because a dear friend was marching her ageout. I also saw SCV's amps balance ruin their ballad and their score went up from Allentown. I went to Allentown in 06 and 08 to see a former student perform in each of those years, and the show selections in 08 made me interested enough to expand a bit more in 09. 09 was slightly down, but I wanted to give DCI another shot and I wanted to see the Indy thing first hand.

but yes in, 05 and 07, I saw nothing. Didn't get the fan network. Only reason i got the dvd's was cause Dad got em for me for Xmas.

now, at best, it's Allentown live. since nothing else on the schedule is a drive worth making on a weeknight, that and the fan network will probably be my season unless I can get out of work and go to the theater.

Edited by Jeff Ream

Drum corps has been making changes for decades...this is true. But, these changes have always affected the corps sides of the field more than the fan side of the field. It was still brass, drums, and guard. Now, it's not.

There have only been three instruments added since 1972...mallets, voice and synths. Only one in the last 25 years.

you are assuming that my irritation at electronics is the same as my irritation at woodwinds. it is not. before you start delving into my past, checking bank accounts, and bizarrely wasting all your gray matter on the definitions, convictions, and irritations level that emanates from my skull, perhaps you should use all the effort on why you care?

There have only been three instruments added since 1972...mallets, voice and synths. Only one in the last 25 years.

Plus slide whistles, kazoos, and stadium air horns.

Wait a minute... I'm thinking about PDQ Bach. :tongue:

thats a wonderful approach to take towards paying customers Mike. I mean, so many businesses made millions that way :rolleyes:

and then you wonder why some older fans left? Easy...they were tired of being told they and their money didn't matter.

There are LOTS of legacy fans at shows. You try and make it look like they all left...hardly the case.

that's exactly my point...there's been 3 instrument changes in the last 40 years, and 2 of those were in the last 7...amplified voice was 7 years ago...there's always been voice hiding in there...

there's been numerous other changes...that don't directly affect the fan...

There are LOTS of legacy fans at shows. You try and make it look like they all left...hardly the case.

and you make it sound like everyone that goes likes electronics...

every legacy fan has their own "last straw". for some of them, it was G to Bb..for some it was 128 to 135 to 150...for some it was electronics...for some it's gonna be woodwinds...for some, the brazilian monkey corps farting malaguena...and winning, won't be a last straw.

there a bunch, but not the numbers that used to be. I never said they all left either. I said many left. because many have.

but the approach you took in your post, if DCI were to adopt that, is a surefire way to continue the erosion of fans.

sorry Mike, the kids are important, but how many of them are at the Friends level? How many of them are willing to attend several shows a year? How many can even drive far enough to try and see a few shows a year?

Where I'm at now, an area that had several shows a year to go see now has it's closest DCI show 90 minutes away. How many parents are going to tell 17 year old Johnny he can drive to Allentown?

exactly. And this is a marching band area that thrives on competition....no less than 3 competitive circuits around here.

so really, even DCI isn't doing it right when it comes to going after the kids.

Edited by Jeff Ream