Biggest surprise to make finals

I marched in the Troopers corps who made finals in 1979 when no one gave us a shot. Who do you remember as the biggest surprise corps to make into finals night?

I marched in the Troopers corps who made finals in 1979 when no one gave us a shot. Who do you remember as the biggest surprise corps to make into finals night?

Kind of weird based on your post, but for me and everyone around me at semis, it was 1986 Troopers. Nobody believed that 27th had not made finals, with most figuring them to be either 9th or 10th at semis. When they were announced in 13th, there was a stunned silence in the crowd in Madison. When theie members came through the stands with their banner announcing the folding of the corps the next night at finals, there were a lot of tears in the stands too.

1990 Dutch Boy

• Like 1

Kind of weird based on your post, but for me and everyone around me at semis, it was 1986 Troopers. Nobody believed that 27th had not made finals, with most figuring them to be either 9th or 10th at semis. When they were announced in 13th, there was a stunned silence in the crowd in Madison. When theie members came through the stands with their banner announcing the folding of the corps the next night at finals, there were a lot of tears in the stands too.

Yes, I remember that night. That was a crazy weekend. One for the ages. Long live the 27th. LANCERS! For 2011... thats tough.

Madison+

BK+

Glassmen?

Colts?

Academy?

Troopers?

Spirit of Atlanta?

Crossmen?

Pacific Crest-

Teal Sound-

Jersey Surf-

Pioneer-

Cascades-

Open Class?

I think the biggest surprise would come from Open class, a hidden gem getting their chance this year? Its gonna be tough for the pod cast, let alone 12th.

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1

This is a good example of where off the field events can and do effect the scores and placements. Just about everyone knew on the '86 summer tour that the 27th Lancers were tapped out financially and would be done by the end of the summer. The judges don't judge from an isolation booth. They ALL knew the 27th Lancers were a Dead Man Walking Corps by '86. The Lancers were in the mix with 3, 4 Corps for a Finals spot. So come Finals, why reward a Corps with a Finals position that had zero chance of returning for the following year ? So the judges didn't. And so that was that.

Edited by BRASSO

This one is easy for me...Crown 1995.

I was the the Preview of Champions in Ypsilanti, MI that year and this corps with 110 members show up playing Stormworks, and I didn't think it would be possible for them to hold out and make finals 2 weeks later. They did...and they were great!