Best and Not so Good Drum Corps' Show Names

Drum corps promoters frequently try to catch the crowd with a unique event name for their show. I'd like to know your favorites of all time and the ones that left you flat.

Drums Across the Red River has always been one of my favorites.

I can't think of one that didn't work so well for me right off hand, but I am sure it's out there.

Music in the Meadows in Bridgewater, MA was one that I found funny at least.

In the 60s, Milwaukee's St. Matthias Cadets held an annual winter show in their parish hall. It was a cinderblock gym with a tiled floor, and a small stage on one end. It was a Catholic parish, so there was a large bar adjacent.

The bartenders would serve anyone. It didn't take long for the patrons to ignore the bugle and drum contestants, and get quite noisy. And just like any wedding reception, parents abandoned their children, who then ran screaming around the hall.

Meanwhile, the buglers and drummers just raised their volume level, to compete with the ambient din.

The name of the show was "Beat and Blast". No kidding.

• Like 3

Drum corps promoters frequently try to catch the crowd with a unique event name for their show. I'd like to know your favorites of all time and the ones that left you flat.

I can't think of one that didn't work so well for me right off hand, but I am sure it's out there.

Was Drums in the Slums the official name of Bridgemen's home show or just its nickname?

WalleyeFest!

/teasing :tongue:

La Noche de la Iguana I thought was kinda funny sounding.

You can't go wrong when "Red River" is in the title.

I think it was DCI in Dallas in 1991 when DCI called the show "The Sight of Music." Since then I've thought it's a great description - what the music looks like.

Drums over, drums along, drums across - the notion of drums echoing over geography is appealing. Less so for terms such as "calvacade" or "pageant" that feel old-fashioned.

Drums over, drums along, drums across - the notion of drums echoing over geography is appealing.

Add to the good names list: Drums Along the Mohawk

For the not-so-good list: The Beanpot Invitational

(To all nice folks in Lynn, please don't take offense. You run a great show, but the name is just.... not that good)

I remember a small show we did in the early season in Illinois, it was referred

to as "Drums Along the Drainage Ditch". That name always cracked me up.

• Like 1