New York Skyliners

Long Island Sunrisers

Rochester Crusaders

Reading Buccaneers

Hawthorne Caballeros

Steel City Ambassadors

Bushwackers

Enjoy!

One of my favorite all time judging experiences... I hope you all enjoy that show - especially those who weren't there...

that was one helluva show!!

yes it was... and just in case there should be someone wandering through here that wasn't around back then... It was a shocking experience because some upstart NJ corps called the Bushwackers had been in existence a full 4 years and although they improved rapidly, by virtue of being in the metro area, they had many wonderful contests BUT never won a show... till that night... they were so used to being the also ran for Cabs, Hurcs, Bucs or Sky - that when they pulled it off I don't think even THEY believed it...

Bushwacker's first win EVER in any show was finals in 1986...

yes it was... and just in case there should be someone wandering through here that wasn't around back then... It was a shocking experience because some upstart NJ corps called the Bushwackers had been in existence a full 4 years and although they improved rapidly, by virtue of being in the metro area, they had many wonderful contests BUT never won a show... till that night... they were so used to being the also ran for Cabs, Hurcs, Bucs or Sky - that when they pulled it off I don't think even THEY believed it...

Bushwacker's first win EVER in any show was finals in 1986...

:ph34r:

No doubt about it..We were fortunate enough to be along side of them in Finale, and being there to watch how they reacted as the scores were announced was just amazing!!

So wierd how we were still soaking in the atmosphere of ACTUALLY being there for the first time, much less the fact that the guys next to us wound up winning.. :thumbup:

I'll always remember how Mickey Petrone (RIP) set up the retreat - he had everyone else leave until he had the 4 newest DCA members left on the field, Empire, Steel City, Bush and MBI. It was a real honor to be given the privelege of going off only in front of Bush and Steel.. :worthy:

Needless to say - the ride home was anything but dull..

Pat

What a way to start my morning at work! Turn on Diceman catch the end of Echoes of the Past starting with Hurcs Rhapsody ending with Troopers... . then next up is Hurricanes at the 1969 Dream ~

Yes !

I feel bad that I didn't check this out on Sunday..I haven't heard the "Sesame Street" show in a very long time.

A historic show indeed!!

A small side note - That season was different for MBI in many ways..Since DCI chose to shorten the length of their programs, and with us doing most of our season with DCM/DCI, we shortened our time accordingly..DCA however, didn't make that change until the following season..So here's Brass, having to add 90 seconds to the show before going to DCA..Interesting changes..They added most of it to the beginning of the show in drill and drum cadence, then added an improv sop solo by Scotty Snyder going into Sesame Street. If you listen to the recording, you'll hear the 11 1/2 minute gun go off about 20 seconds before our show ends..Nothing like cutting it close.. :tongue:

Pat

I feel bad that I didn't check this out on Sunday..I haven't heard the "Sesame Street" show in a very long time.

A historic show indeed!!

A small side note - That season was different for MBI in many ways..Since DCI chose to shorten the length of their programs, and with us doing most of our season with DCM/DCI, we shortened our time accordingly..DCA however, didn't make that change until the following season..So here's Brass, having to add 90 seconds to the show before going to DCA..Interesting changes..They added most of it to the beginning of the show in drill and drum cadence, then added an improv sop solo by Scotty Snyder going into Sesame Street. If you listen to the recording, you'll hear the 11 1/2 minute gun go off about 20 seconds before our show ends..Nothing like cutting it close.. :tongue:

Pat

And in an opposing twist, SCA's show was long, bumping up close to the max all season but we had the timing down and felt pretty comfortable about going into finals with the whole package.

Something happened (down tempos, too much time between sets, etc) - the execution gun goes off in the middle of "Stormy Weather" instead of the beginning of "after you've gone" where it was programmed to happen. I recall DM Billy Marshall SPRINTING across the front at the end of Stormy, literally pushing DM Bill McCartney off the podium and cranks up "After" way faster than we ever played it all year - cooked all the way through to the final push, where you can hear Billy on the record pushing the corps to keep cranking ("C'MON!!"). Avoided going over time by just a few seconds if I recall.

What a night!