Worst disaster show you ever marched in.

Any home show with a young corps is recipe for a meltdown. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by DaveG

This one is too easy...

1992, Sacramento Freelancers.... HOME SHOW. We stepped off. It was a mes from the first downbeat and only got worse. After 30 seconds of the opener, I could not believe my eyes or my ear, because if I did not know any better, I saw the DM signal a cut, and shout "CUT!! RESET!!". How embarassing!

I win.

You had to cut and reset in a show? I think that takes the cake, I can't even imagine what that would be like.

As for me, at Firstbeat in 09 (our first home show), I learned a harsh lesson about double and triple-checking the electronics setup before the show starts. Let's just say the frozen moment in the ballad was a little quieter than usual... not a fun night.

• Like 1

1979 Tournament of Bands finals in Allentown. For those who slogged through the mud at DCA prelims in '87, that was a cake walk (no pun intended) compared to this mud bowl. I didn't see any grass....just deep shoe-sucking mud everywhere, except that the yardlines were firmer for some reason, becoming like raised, slippery balance beams by the time my band performed. Our band left numerous shoes and one tuning slide behind, never to be seen again. Rumor was that another band had a member drop a trumpet in the mud, and it was never found.

Flags gathered mud quickly, flinging it about and becoming ten times as heavy as normal. I'll never forget this drill move we did in our closer, where the flags filed through our ranks. Saw one girl coming at me with her glasses completely covered with mud. It was hysterical (well, it was hysterical afterwards....right then, avoiding collisions was hard enough with clear vision).

The title race was between us and a rival band, whose uniform included foot-high boots for the entire band. Guess who won?

2003 Southwind.

/thread

That show was a disaster from top to bottom. The original design was some of worst stuff ever put on the drum corps field. Mike Loeffelholz, Steve Vento, and TR Fitzgibbon were able to polish the turd a bit and work their magic but it was too late by mid-season. The original design was not concocted by Mike, Steve and TR. The original designers will remain nameless.

Paging 1984 Garfield Cadets....Garfield Cadets to the white courtesy phone please!

No, don't all rush to the phone at once! Don't all...rush to...

Never mind.

• Like 1

1979. Secaucus, NJ. A dirt field, a total downpour right as we started. Getting hit in the face by a wet, muddy flag whipping past my head. Not fun!

Oh, and we had to do an exhibition that night at the Sunriser's DCA show in those same wet uniforms.

79rain.jpg

Edited by kansasDC

This one is too easy...

1992, Sacramento Freelancers.... HOME SHOW. We stepped off. It was a mes from the first downbeat and only got worse. After 30 seconds of the opener, I could not believe my eyes or my ear, because if I did not know any better, I saw the DM signal a cut, and shout "CUT!! RESET!!". How embarassing!

I win.

Not so fast, there....

The exact same thing happened to the Crossmen at Drums Along the Rockies in 1983. IIRC, the DM forgot to give a "ready front" before starting the show. 2/3rds of the corps started the show, 1/3rds stayed at dress center. Hilarity did not ensue. After about 20 seconds the DM had no choice but to cut and reset.

Regional beats home show, IMO.

Edited by vanguard87
  • Like 1

One time we had this Sunday afternoon show (I always hated those) and there was this corps that we were chasing all season but we just couldn't catch them. As fate would have it, they couldn't make the show that day and we turned in our hottest preformance of the year. There's no doubt in my mind to this day that we would have beaten them, but we'll never know. I still bang my head against the wall every time I think about it. We actually won the show but it was a bitter sweet victory. We never did catch them that year. That was the worst.

Edited by Piper