Favorite Drum Corp Record

I have a lot of great recordings through the years but I have to say the one that always stands out for me was the 1969 World Open. There so many great corps there. I have no favorite corps (well,,,maybe the Troopers have a slight edge) but just loved that show.

Tell me,,do you have a favorite show recording? If so,,any favorites corps from that recording??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Open recordsing always seemed so "alive" - sometimes with a plane approaching Logan Airport in Boston.

My two favs - 1971 World Open - 27th was simply awesome. 1972 Shriners - again - 27th was on fire early season.

Yes you are so right Lancerlegend. 27 was awesome at that show as well as so many others that year. In Fact going back to 69 W.O. I liked them there as well. They Played Classical Gas =) Amazing for a hornline :thumbup:

It was all because of the acoustics in Manning Bowl. They were, as we in the Boston area would say, "wikkid pissah". Every corps sounded better in Manning bowl.

I remember back in 1957, when my corps was not very good, that when we got over the finish line in a circuit show there we were all stunned. "Was that us?" was

the most common comment.

It didn't do us that much good, however, all the other corps sounded great, too.

That was the moment I first realized the Magic quality of Manning Bowl. This is easily verified by a check of Richmond, Fleetwood, and other recordings. I always felt that it had an effect on all corps performances as well. Whenyou sounded better to yourselves it really perked you up.

Sadly, there's a housing development where the old PWA built jewel used to stand.

The 1971 27th Lancer performance at World Open at Manning Bowl was the best show I ever saw them give.

Not my favorite but easily my most memorable was the '81 recording (on tape!) with SCV. My first recording I ever owned. Wore it out of course. I bought it about halfway through the '82 season, my first season marching. I'd never heard professionally recorded drum corps before! Blew my mind.

World Open recordsing always seemed so "alive" - sometimes with a plane approaching Logan Airport in Boston.

My two favs - 1971 World Open - 27th was simply awesome. 1972 Shriners - again - 27th was on fire early season.

I love the quality of the 71 Shriners recording, at least the volume with Garfield. The Canadian company that produced it was the best at placing mics and mixing the levels, IMO. Just a great album.

71 World Open is also great...I have a DVD of Garfield prelims and finals as well as an audio recording.

1974 DCI Ithaca:

"From Hawthorne New Jersey, the Mucha....ROARRRRRRRRRRRR"

The most electric corps performance and electric crowd I can remember. I still get chills when I think about that recording.

BTW: The Purple Lancers received a ovation just a decibel or so lower than Hawthorne!

YEAH Jerry,,YEAH what a show THAT was