How cool would it be

Assuming that DCI would suddenly become a followed sport with tons of money coming in from endorsements and advertisements - How cool would it be to sit down and watch the annual DCI draft every year instead of the NFL draft? Think about it. Each individual section or position (ie 1st trumpets, Euphoniums, 2nd mellos, bass 12345) would be like the kids entering the NFL combine at their projected positions. Corps could recruit based off of need, trade within DCI for better picks, or bring up the possibility for lower corps like pio to have a chance for a title every year. Marching styles from respective high school or college programs would be like offensive and defensive schemes that colleges play. Some performers would be better suited for specific styles of marching, with some showing the potential to be able to switch (Cavies, Scouts, SCV vs Cadets, BD vs Crown, Phantom). Once members are drafted, the corps could try them out on different sections or make publicized moves that would alter their status within the group.

Maybe you would have people like Lead Trumpet prospect Tim Tebow that was pretty solid for the Gator band, but DCI participating corps were skeptical about his endurance and extreme high chops to play as a lead within DCI. In a surprise first round, he is drafted by the Madison Scouts to spend the first season or two as a lower split lead before letting him try for the solo and upper positions. Meanwhile, Bass 5 prospect Ndamukong Suh is taken early in his draft by the Blue Devils after trading up for the pick with the Cascades in exchange for their 2010 trumpet soloist, Garret, who has one year left on his contract (har har har).

Just some silly food for though. After all - my default is a picture of Lady Gaga. What a woman

Edited by brassEXPERT
  • Like 5

Assuming that DCI would suddenly become a followed sport with tons of money coming in from endorsements and advertisements - How cool would it be to sit down and watch the annual DCI draft every year instead of the NFL draft? Think about it. Each individual section or position (ie 1st trumpets, Euphoniums, 2nd mellos, bass 12345) would be like the kids entering the NFL combine at their projected positions. Corps could recruit based off of need, trade within DCI for better picks, or bring up the possibility for lower corps like pio to have a chance for a title every year. Marching styles from respective high school or college programs would be like offensive and defensive schemes that colleges play. Some performers would be better suited for specific styles of marching, with some showing the potential to be able to switch (Cavies, Scouts, SCV vs Cadets, BD vs Crown, Phantom). Once members are drafted, the corps could try them out on different sections or make publicized moves that would alter their status within the group.

Maybe you would have people like Lead Trumpet prospect Tim Tebow that was pretty solid for the Gator band, but DCI participating corps were skeptical about his endurance and extreme high chops to play as a lead within DCI. In a surprise first round, he is drafted by the Madison Scouts to spend the first season or two as a lower split lead before letting him try for the solo and upper positions. Meanwhile, Bass 5 prospect Ndamukong Suh is taken early in his draft by the Blue Devils after trading up for the pick with the Cascades in exchange for their 2010 trumpet soloist, Garret, who has one year left on his contract (har har har).

Just some silly food for though. After all - my default is a picture of Lady Gaga. What a woman

I think it would be AWESOME. First of all, using the NFL Draft model as you described, Corps like Pioneer, Cascades, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, etc would get to draft first, and the Patriots, Steelers, Packers,... opps... I mean the Blue Devils, Cavs, Cadets, etc would draft last. It would be great to see more parity and balance and not the same old, same old all the time. We could only dream of a DCI Draft Day. It's a nice dream. But... it's simply not going to happen.

Can you imagine if the NFL had a Draft system in place whereby the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, got to draft first every year ? In other words, if you finish in the top 3, you get to draft in the top 3 ? And conversely, the lower you finish, the lower you get to draft ? What organization would the NFL begin to resemble ?

I know... it's a silly and obvious question. ( It'd begin to look like DCI in terms of perpetuating mostly the same Corps pretty much every year at the top, the middle, and the bottom most years. )

Edited by BRASSO

I think an even better idea would be for NFL teams to hold open auditions so that Tim Tebow or Terrell Pryor who always dreamed of playing for the Eagles, could choose their own fate. Open DCI drafts would be cool but it would crush the dreams that some kids have of being a cadet or a cavalier or blue devil and force them into marching for a corps they may not even knew existed. One man's heaven could be a members h*** in the DCI world.

Edited by Teamcoco3

I think an even better idea would be for NFL teams to hold open auditions so that Tim Tebow or Terrell Pryor who always dreamed of playing for the Eagles, could choose their own fate.

I'm pretty sure that all New York Yankees fans everywhere would support you on this 100%. The NY Yankees already have most MLB players on other teams ( Brewers, Pirates, Nationals, Orioles, Astros etc ) before they put their head on the pillow at night say a quiet prayer hoping to God that they someday wind up in pinstripes. I can think of no other better way to perpetuate the NY Yankees success ( or the Lakers, Celtics in the NBA )than to let every top draft pick decide for themselves what team has first dibs at their services.... as you are suggesting here.

Edited by BRASSO

How cool it would be if the Marching Music "Major League" actually paid their performers like all other "Major League" organizations!!! As long as the performers have to pay (instead of getting paid) the performers should be allowed to audition for whatever corps they want to perform with. No performer salary, no performer draft!

• Like 1

Let's not forget about free agency. :tongue:

mmm.....multi million dollar contracts.....I'd march anywhere for one of those

As long as the performers have to pay (instead of getting paid) the performers should be allowed to audition for whatever corps they want to perform with. No performer salary, no performer draft!

Well, there you go... another vote for " no change " here in how things are done.

Soooo.... where was that prediction thread again ? I want to make my predictions on placements for the next 10 years, so I can get that thread out of the way for the next decade. Afterall, with the exception of a couple of Corps here and there, the top Corps... are the top corps... the middle corps are the middle corps... and the bottom corps are the bottom corps. And from what I'm reading, some of us like our placements pretty much as is. ( DCI likes it too, as they've set up Slotting System in the World Class Division to pretty much perpetuate the current system into infinity. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1