Did a folding corps benefit another?

Larry all that talent and your retiring ??? :thumbdown:

Hey give Larrie a break... The man is three years older than I am and my knees just can't take it anymore! Not that Larrie marches! lol :shutup:

In 1964 the Skokie Vanguard placed 18th at VFW Nationals. The Brigade (formerly Custer's Brigade) from Lake County Illinois packed it in that year, with a number of members, including yours truly making their way to the Vanguard. Also that winter, the Phantom Regiment deactivated, and again a number of its members made their way to the Vanguard, including the Vanguard's new Drum Instructor Al Lemert. And on top of that, the Spartans (formerly the merger between the Morton Grove Cougars & the Chi-Angels) also packed it in, and a number of THEIR members made their way to the Vanguard. We had horn rehearsals that winter with 60+ in attendance. The move towards the top was then in motion. The 1965 Skokie Vanguard finished 3rd at VFW Prelims and 5th at VFW Finals. It was quite a dramatic change that I'll never forget.

Interesting stuff ... I always thought the McHenry Viscounts bolstered your ranks in 65 ... were you with Skokie when thay came to Garfield's show in 63? ... your corps in 65 took a lot of Eastern corps by surprise in Chicago ...

Andy "I was at Camp Palmer too" Lisko

Yes Larry came back to the Bridgemen in 76 and Dennis came aboard to work with the Drum Line. But as far as members I don't think we had anybody come into our ranks in 76. 77 I know brought us Jim Jorden maybe more I don't know about that one.

Boston, in the mid 60's, picked up members from Our Lady of Lordes and a South Boston corps whose name escapes me. Another church corps that folded. SKEK also gained members from these coprs.

Possibly the South Boston Gatesmen? ... They were a Yankee Circuit corps ... folded around 64 or 65 ...

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

In

Assume you are speaking of Americanos? Yes - From 75 - 78, Wausau Story picked up many from there, Sundowners, Belle's of St. Mary & a few other WI corps that either folded or went to doing just parades. Then in 79, it happened to us when in May Wausau decided not to field a corps that year. A number went to Blue Stars & me to Troopers.

I marched bari in 79 and also remember getting several horn players from a corp from Enid, OK that folded and helped us finally get a full-sized hornline.

Boston, in the mid 60's, picked up members from Our Lady of Lordes and a South Boston corps whose name escapes me. Another church corps that folded. SKEK also gained members from these coprs.

Ghost, you are partly right on that. Our Lady of Lourdes folded in 63 and half went to Boston and the other half went to SKEK. The Gatesmen folded in 64, I was with them then. We had friends in SKEK and three of us were taken over to their practice by Wally Ryan an aged out contra player. Rooney told us he didn't want anyone from "Southie" and threw us out. Hank Bock, from Southie, was in the Crusaders and lived a block from me told me to go to the Crusaders as did my cousin who was just brought up from the Valiants. The same 3 went over to the Crusaders rehearsal and ended up joining not that Joe Dowling gave us a choice. The next 4 weeks 22 of the 27 left in "gatey" joined Boston.

Ghost, you are partly right on that. Our Lady of Lourdes folded in 63 and half went to Boston and the other half went to SKEK. The Gatesmen folded in 64, I was with them then. We had friends in SKEK and three of us were taken over to their practice by Wally Ryan an aged out contra player. Rooney told us he didn't want anyone from "Southie" and threw us out. Hank Bock, from Southie, was in the Crusaders and lived a block from me told me to go to the Crusaders as did my cousin who was just brought up from the Valiants. The same 3 went over to the Crusaders rehearsal and ended up joining not that Joe Dowling gave us a choice. The next 4 weeks 22 of the 27 left in "gatey" joined Boston.

Even with all the guys/gals from Southie, several minutes after the lights were turned off in the large room (church?)that we slept in the night before Johnson's Innaugural Parade in 65, one of the Lower Mills/Hyde Park guys yelled out "Southie sucks!).

Even with all the guys/gals from Southie, several minutes after the lights were turned off in the large room (church?)that we slept in the night before Johnson's Innaugural Parade in 65, one of the Lower Mills/Hyde Park guys yelled out "Southie sucks!).

Actually, someone yelled out "Let's get the guys from Southie". Then someone yelled, "We can't they outnumber us".