Did a folding corps benefit another?

Following a session listening to the DCI championship recordings of 1974/75, I got to thinking about how some corps dropped off the radar shortly afterwards for a variety of reasons.

Did the demise of the Kingsmen help the Blue Devils in their fairly meteorick rise through DCI's ranks? Disd the demise of the Muchachos help the Bridgemen?

There are probably many more instances - discuss

I have no facts and figures to answer those specific corps,,but I have to assume that the active corps certainly picked up a member or two from the folding corp. My corp always benifted (somewhat sadly) from a smaller competitore going under, so I would have to think its the same all over

I thought about this also. Did 27 and even Alliance folding help Boston rise (again) to the top 12. I'm sure Crossmen were helped in some way with all the smaller corps dying off in the area, Black Watch, Wind Jammers et al. I'm sure in the long run corps like Guardsmen folding helped the midwest corps.

I believe it would be fair to say that the Auburn Purple Lancers of 1974 benefited from a substantial influx of members from the demise of St Joseph's of Batavia following the 1973 season.

Gil

It was also my impression that the undefeated Madison Scouts of 1975 were aided in their perfection as a result of acquiring trained members from several smaller Wisconsin corps folding after the 1974 season

Unsure if any of our members went to the Scouts, but I know some went to Wausau Story, some to Marquis and some to Kilties (1975-77). After a disasterous '75 and '76 many just wandered off.

Following a session listening to the DCI championship recordings of 1974/75, I got to thinking about how some corps dropped off the radar shortly afterwards for a variety of reasons.

Did the demise of the Kingsmen help the Blue Devils in their fairly meteorick rise through DCI's ranks? Disd the demise of the Muchachos help the Bridgemen?

There are probably many more instances - discuss

Oh, I think the demise of Hawthorne most definitely helped Bayonne rise....both had Dennis Delucia and Larry Kirchner as percussion and brass staff.

The Little Falls Cadets folded after the 68 season, and their guard moved en masse to Garfield to become their first girl guard.

St Lucy's folding after 69 helped BS have one more great season in 1970, as a few of St Lucy's members moved over to BS.

That sort of ebb and flow happened all the time back then, at every level of drum corps, as some corps died out and others rose up, even if only for a few years.

At the smaller end of things...the Morristown Colonials folded in 68 and a carload of members joined the GSC corps I marched with from Livingston, NJ, the Imperial Guardsmen. When the Woodsiders folded a group moved over to the Wayne Monarchs, where I was a percussion instructor, around 76.

From Star of Indiana – Recollections, Chapter One, By Bill Cook:

“… in September [1984], there was an indication that the Bridgemen were going to take a year off. A couple of former Bridgemen instructors were let go or refused to return. In addition, the members were told that their corps would not be able to make it another year and so a contingent of Bridgemen found their way to Indiana, including drum major Karen Ruschman…. By May, it was clear that some additional members were needed. During that month, Pride of Cincinnati announced that they would not field a corps in 1985 and shortly afterwards, Ron Poole, Director of Pride, called Jim and asked if Star had any openings. On the following Saturday, a Star bus headed to Cincinnati to pick up the Pride members who would become part of Star's drum corps backbone. And so the misfortune of two corps enabled Star to field the 1985 corps.”

http://www.starofindiana.org/

I thought about this also. Did 27 and even Alliance folding help Boston rise (again) to the top 12. I'm sure Crossmen were helped in some way with all the smaller corps dying off in the area, Black Watch, Wind Jammers et al. I'm sure in the long run corps like Guardsmen folding helped the midwest corps.

Not sure if Boston got many members from 27th but if they did it had nothing to do with the rise to a finals spot. It wasn't until many years later boston made it.

Dutchboy benefited from Northmen and Avant Guarde folding in 86 and then in 88 when Connexion folded.