Did a folding corps benefit another?

Dutchboy benefited from Northmen and Avant Guarde folding in 86 and then in 88 when Connexion folded.

That's the first one that comes to my mind when I think of this topic, specifically the Northmen.

As a member of the '84 Alliance, Boston most definitely benefitted from Alliance folding, gaining a number of members including two of my good friends Julie Aucoin and Eric Gagnon, who went on to age out with Boston years later as color guard captain and drum major.

Alliance, Boston most definitely benefitted from Alliance folding.

I was teaching 2-7 in 84 and a lot of very good members came to the Lancers as well. On Memorial day weekend, 1985, I also drove a van to Ohio and picked up 14 brass players for 27th. In the case of Alliance it helped two corps and it sounds like Pride did as well.

As a member of the '84 Alliance, Boston most definitely benefitted from Alliance folding, gaining a number of members including two of my good friends Julie Aucoin and Eric Gagnon, who went on to age out with Boston years later as color guard captain and drum major.

A couple of friends and I left a drum and baton corps (it folded) to join the Royal Crusaders. But that corps did not make it out in 81 or 82, so about 7 (or so) from that organization eventually ended up marching with the General Butler Vagabonds. When that corps failed to field in 86, about 10 members ended-up at Boston-one, snare drummer Missy Fend ended-up marrying Eric Gagnon. Small world, huh?

Going farther back: In the NY area, the demise of the Selden L.I. Golden Lancers after the 1965 season led to the revamping and hugely successful debut of the 'New' Bronx Kingsmen. Horn arranger/instructor Bob Bunce led the pilgrimage.

The previously cadet-style uniformed Kingsmen adopted a Latin/Mexican style uniform, Latin music, and were unofficially called 'Los Hombres del Rey.' They became a major east coast power virtually overnight, though it was short-lived.

And even though this is the junior forum, the breakup of the St. Catherine of Siena Queensmen gave a major boost to the Long Island Sunrisers senior corpsof 1963. They gained both some very talented members and some instructors, and often practiced on the same field as the junior corps once did.

I believe it would be fair to say that the Auburn Purple Lancers of 1974 benefited from a substantial influx of members from the demise of St Joseph's of Batavia following the 1973 season.

Gil

Gil...

St Joe's actually folded after the 1971 season. At 17 years old, I was the only St Joes member that went to Auburn THAT YEAR (1972). However I did call many friends and by 1973 there were maybe 5-6 of us...by 1974 at the most there may have been 8 St Joe's people.

The perfect storm hit that area during 1973. The Geneva Appleknockers, Syracuse Marauders, Utica Yankees all decided to not field a corps for 1974 and many members from different corps showed up at the doorstep of Auburn HS. It would be my opinion that many of the very talented kids came from the Syracuse area, where there were great HS bands. I recently watched a video clip that showed our rifle line ands I was amazed. Many of these young ladies were from Cicero, North Syracuse, West Genesee, East Syracuse Minoa High schools and all of these schools had high quality winter color guards.

So the combination of all of those corps folding and the excellent talent already in the Auburn corps made for a great experience that has not yet to be accomplished by any other New York State drum corps, and with Patriots no longer active, it doesnt seem that it will happen any time soon.

I hope that clears things up a little.

Donny

A couple of friends and I left a drum and baton corps (it folded) to join the Royal Crusaders. But that corps did not make it out in 81 or 82, so about 7 (or so) from that organization eventually ended up marching with the General Butler Vagabonds. When that corps failed to field in 86, about 10 members ended-up at Boston-one, snare drummer Missy Fend ended-up marrying Eric Gagnon. Small world, huh?

I spent many years in the Dal Demons B and D corps,...........what corps are you talking about?

The Royal Coachmen merged with a young corps, The Frontiersmen in May 1977. It was a bad decision and I think if we would have waited out the month of June The Royal Coachmen would have been alright. When we merged there were 49 horns but many RC kids left and the ones that did stay only lasted the season. The staff wasn't experienced and the RC staff from Canada never came back. We chatted about this on our FB page and we all agreed it was a huge mistake. The frontiersmen didn't benefit but many older members went on to Imperial Regiment, Seneca Optimist, Oakland Crusaders, 27th Lancers and SCV.

the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was the folding of Pride of Cincinnati which led to a major influx of veteran members for Star's first season.

Unsure if any of our members went to the Scouts, but I know some went to Wausau Story, some to Marquis and some to Kilties (1975-77). After a disasterous '75 and '76 many just wandered off.

In

Assume you are speaking of Americanos? Yes - From 75 - 78, Wausau Story picked up many from there, Sundowners, Belle's of St. Mary & a few other WI corps that either folded or went to doing just parades. Then in 79, it happened to us when in May Wausau decided not to field a corps that year. A number went to Blue Stars & me to Troopers.