Did a folding corps benefit another?

Actually, someone yelled out "Let's get the guys from Southie". Then someone yelled, "We can't they outnumber us".

Oh OHH! It's getting bad when my drum corps memories are spotty, especially when I was there. Possibly both comments were said since there was a lot of trash talking going on.

I have no facts and figures to answer those specific corps,,but I have to assume that the active corps certainly picked up a member or two from the folding corp. My corp always benifted (somewhat sadly) from a smaller competitore going under, so I would have to think its the same all over

I'd agree with you especially regarding NY state. Recently read "Echos in the Valley" which went into great detail on the DC activity in NY state from the Squires perspective. 1974 was the Squires peak placement-wise finishing 13th but they continued to have very strong seasons often due to folding corps membership joining their ranks.

Edited by Joe Salvatore

I thought about this also. Did 27 and even Alliance folding help Boston rise (again) to the top 12. I'm sure Crossmen were helped in some way with all the smaller corps dying off in the area, Black Watch, Wind Jammers et al. I'm sure in the long run corps like Guardsmen folding helped the midwest corps.

Well, in the Boston via 27/Alliance case I'd say no. Boston became stronger when Magic of Orlando became weaker and eventually folded. :huh: Strange as that may sound, a very large portion of their membership both now and for the past decade or so has been from Florida. They even hold many camps in south Florida each year.