The 67th VFW National Convention (1966)

There was a huge controversy in the early 1960s when Miss America was paid more to present trophies to the national champion drum & bugle corps than what the corps earned for winning the championship.

Yeah ... quite an eye opener as Tony S used to market the show as the Million Dollar Pagent of Drums (or something to that effect) ...

:hmmm:

Yeah ... quite an eye opener as Tony S used to market the show as the Million Dollar Pagent of Drums (or something to that effect) ...

:hmmm:

One year when my dad got the October issue, I added up the total prize money for every category--if I remember right, it wasn't even close to $100,000...probably not even $50,000. I think this was more like University of Alabama calling their band the million dollar band. Just hype.

Hard to get a lot of prize money when admission to finals was only two bucks. 1968 VFW finals had maybe around 15,000 spectators; I think 1969 had a little more. At two bucks a ticket they grossed about thirty grand. After expenses there wasn't "big money" left to be paid out as prize money. You also have to remember that prize money was paid out in other contests too such as band, color guard and drill team; the VFW didn't just hold a drum and bugle corps contest. These other convention contests didn't draw what the finals of the drum corps contest did, so I would guess that the prize money paid to these other contest winners was siphoned off of the money made at the VFW drum and bugle corps finals. I also believe that prelims at VFW nationals was free for spectators; maybe the band, color guard and drill team contests were free too. I don't believe that the VFW was all that interested in putting a lot more time, effort and money into their national convention contests. One has to remember that in reality the VFW staged "The Million Dollar Pageant of Drums" contest as an entertainment event for their convention attendees, not to do the drum corps activity a favor by holding some sort of a drum and bugle corps national championship. Also the VFW was mainly interested in having a large, colorful and entertaining convention parade. To lure drum corps, bands, color guards and drill teams to march in their convention parade, they had to hold a nice contest for them. In other words, in my opinion, "The Million Dollar Pageant of Drums" contest that was held each year at the VFW national convention was the carrot that drew in these drum corps and other units to march in their convention parade without the VFW having to pay them to do so. The VFW didn't make much money holding these contests, but as long as this plan worked and these units marched their parade for free I think the VFW was very happy and content. As a further incentive, the VFW presented an award at each national convention to the best drum and bugle corps in the parade.

Edited by 67madplaid71

• 2 weeks later...

67Mmp71: I agree with you. The VFW Nationals was a big deal to participant corps seeking a national title, but was not necessarily the "high point" of the convention for to VFW members in attendance.

Corps management could hype-up the significance to us kids, but there less emphasis on filling the stadium with drum corps fanatics for the finals as DCI does for the DCI National Finals. There were usually more people in the stands at Shriners International, World Open, Dream, or the US Open.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to get a lot of prize money when admission to finals was only two bucks. 1968 VFW finals had maybe around 15,000 spectators; I think 1969 had a little more. At two bucks a ticket they grossed about thirty grand. After expenses there wasn't "big money" left to be paid out as prize money. You also have to remember that prize money was paid out in other contests too such as band, color guard and drill team; the VFW didn't just hold a drum and bugle corps contest. These other convention contests didn't draw what the finals of the drum corps contest did, so I would guess that the prize money paid to these other contest winners was siphoned off of the money made at the VFW drum and bugle corps finals. I also believe that prelims at VFW nationals was free for spectators; maybe the band, color guard and drill team contests were free too. I don't believe that the VFW was all that interested in putting a lot more time, effort and money into their national convention contests. One has to remember that in reality the VFW staged "The Million Dollar Pageant of Drums" contest as an entertainment event for their convention attendees, not to do the drum corps activity a favor by holding some sort of a drum and bugle corps national championship. Also the VFW was mainly interested in having a large, colorful and entertaining convention parade. To lure drum corps, bands, color guards and drill teams to march in their convention parade, they had to hold a nice contest for them. In other words, in my opinion, "The Million Dollar Pageant of Drums" contest that was held each year at the VFW national convention was the carrot that drew in these drum corps and other units to march in their convention parade without the VFW having to pay them to do so. The VFW didn't make much money holding these contests, but as long as this plan worked and these units marched their parade for free I think the VFW was very happy and content. As a further incentive, the VFW presented an award at each national convention to the best drum and bugle corps in the parade.

A lot of truth in what you are saying. I think by the time the VFW championships ended, most corps had no connection to the VFW posts other than they needed a sponsor to march in the contest and the post wanted a corp in the contest. When I marched in the early 60's, I would say that half of our corps members fathers were VFW members. By the late 60's, early 70's, there really wasn't a lot of built in loyalty to the VFW left by the corps and Vic Versa.

I think you are right about the free prelims. I went down to Miami for the 1970 championships with no real plan to attend prelims. While driving down some main drag, I passed some high school type football field with wood bleachers, and there was a drum corps performing. I quickly parked and walked in. Nobody asked for a ticket so I assume it was free. I think I caught the last 10 or so corps. Same experience in Dallas in 1971.

I think you are right about the free prelims. I went down to Miami for the 1970 championships with no real plan to attend prelims. While driving down some main drag, I passed some high school type football field with wood bleachers, and there was a drum corps performing. I quickly parked and walked in. Nobody asked for a ticket so I assume it was free. I think I caught the last 10 or so corps. Same experience in Dallas in 1971.

That's cool...I marched both shows! One thing I'll never forget about 1971 VFW's in Dallas was the HEAT!!! While we were waiting to enter the Cotton Bowl I overheard one security guard tell another it was over 130 degrees on the field.

That's cool...I marched both shows! One thing I'll never forget about 1971 VFW's in Dallas was the HEAT!!! While we were waiting to enter the Cotton Bowl I overheard one security guard tell another it was over 130 degrees on the field.

We(The Sundowners-the first year in our new wool uniforms)went on for prelims very early and I remember that it was 110 degrees on the field already. Was definitely missing the shorts from the Eau Claire Boys years.