Onyx

I noticed that too ... but my first impression is that they were in "character" for their show. I thought it was intense!

Congrats Onyx!!

Is it necessary to still be "in character" after finals competition? It seems a bit excessive, but maybe that's the Onyx vibe. I wonder if they would have been all crossed arms and angry faces if the medal-ing had been different? I don't know. Half the fun of retreat, (for me), is watching all the guards celebrate the end of a season of hard, hopefully rewarding, work..... and especially the thrilled faces of the medalists. Kudos to all the gracious winners, and all the equally gracious, and proud finalists.

• Like 1

Is it necessary to still be "in character" after finals competition? It seems a bit excessive, but maybe that's the Onyx vibe. I wonder if they would have been all crossed arms and angry faces if the medal-ing had been different? I don't know. Half the fun of retreat, (for me), is watching all the guards celebrate the end of a season of hard, hopefully rewarding, work..... and especially the thrilled faces of the medalists. Kudos to all the gracious winners, and all the equally gracious, and proud finalists.

Im sure you werent thinking it was excessive last season when Pride of Cincinnati acted like hippies all the way until the end of retreat. I would understand why everyone is so torked about Onyx not clapping, if they had stopped clapping after being announced in second, but that wasn't the case. They stood still, not clapping from the very beginning. So it was clearly them remaining in character. Also, its impossible to think that it was the members doing (responding to an earlier post) because after SCV and Carmel finished accepting their medals...I saw the members of Onyx hugging each other (with smiles) and turning to their left and right congratulating Braddock and SCV. Personally I thought they looked strong...and it was very chilling to see them like that (in a good way).

• Like 4

Im sure you werent thinking it was excessive last season when Pride of Cincinnati acted like hippies all the way until the end of retreat. I would understand why everyone is so torked about Onyx not clapping, if they had stopped clapping after being announced in second, but that wasn't the case. They stood still, not clapping from the very beginning. So it was clearly them remaining in character. Also, its impossible to think that it was the members doing (responding to an earlier post) because after SCV and Carmel finished accepting their medals...I saw the members of Onyx hugging each other (with smiles) and turning to their left and right congratulating Braddock and SCV. Personally I thought they looked strong...and it was very chilling to see them like that (in a good way).

I didn't see retreat last season. That's why I asked the question, and stated "I don't know". :blink: (Anyway, I would imagine acting "like hippies" might be quite joyful and celebratory, and in keeping with the general vibe of retreat?)

congrats to michael lentz and team - you've created quite a stir and have everyone talking good and bad - all publicity is good publicity. if you're not being talked about, you become irrelevant.

cheers

• Like 5

OK - I had to create an account to comment on this. CRAP! :)

First of all, it was rude of them to act like that during retreat... there was nothing about standing there with a pissy look and locking arms that had anything to do with their show! Or wait... was that "Art" as well??? The whole Pride thing... are you kidding me???? The point of retreat is to have fun and celebrate and, if you remember back, Pride was in charater pretty much the moment that they changed into uniform last year.

On to the actual Onyx show...

The whole point of world class is to explore new things and make you think... Onyx clearly did that. I think in a way they may have been the first or one of the first to push that to a whole new level. To a point where they left people scratching their heads and uncomfortable.

• Like 1

The point of retreat is to have fun and celebrate...

Actually, the point of retreat is to assemble all of the performing finalists on the floor and announce the scores/placements.

How each organization handles/acts/responds to this is up to them. Not everyone has the same approach to retreat/awards ceremonies. Examples of this can be found all over the guard, band, and corps activity.

• Like 5

First of all, it was rude of them to act like that during retreat... there was nothing about standing there with a pissy look and locking arms that had anything to do with their show! Or wait... was that "Art" as well??? The whole Pride thing... are you kidding me???? The point of retreat is to have fun and celebrate and, if you remember back, Pride was in charater pretty much the moment that they changed into uniform last year.

The whole point of world class is to explore new things and make you think... Onyx clearly did that. I think in a way they may have been the first or one of the first to push that to a whole new level. To a point where they left people scratching their heads and uncomfortable.

I didn't say anything against Pride, I was just giving an example of another guard that stays in character. POC always is in character from the moment they put on uniform...because they are told to...its part of transporting people into their show.

laughing, smiling, clapping, and talking would have been completely out of character of Onyx's show. so by standing there eyes front arms crossed...is IN character for them. :)

Edited by mr_mike09
  • Like 1

To be completely honest I think they were all told to be like that. I mean wouldn't you show that a forum such as this doesn't phase you. Let's be real, most of the members probably had their feelings hurt after reading this. All their hard work was being chastised for nothing. They attempted a new idea that their director designed and did it well if you ask me.

On a side note, I will not be hidden but I am a performer of Braddock Independent and when we came back in line after receiving our medal, everyone in Onyx was congratulating us under their breath. They are very nice and had nothing but good things to say to us. I have a lot of respect for them after this season. They are a great group and have been doing new things in this sport for two years now...I wouldn't be the least but surprised if they do so next year. Great Job on a fantastic season Onyx!

• Like 7

To be completely honest I think they were all told to be like that. I mean wouldn't you show that a forum such as this doesn't phase you. Let's be real, most of the members probably had their feelings hurt after reading this. All their hard work was being chastised for nothing. They attempted a new idea that their director designed and did it well if you ask me.

On a side note, I will not be hidden but I am a performer of Braddock Independent and when we came back in line after receiving our medal, everyone in Onyx was congratulating us under their breath. They are very nice and had nothing but good things to say to us. I have a lot of respect for them after this season. They are a great group and have been doing new things in this sport for two years now...I wouldn't be the least but surprised if they do so next year. Great Job on a fantastic season Onyx!

That is so nice to know, especially from someone who was right there. I like to think that this activity is about integrity, and respect and a generosity of spirit. I wouldn't expect clapping and squealing from this group, but I still think being told to look belligerent and intimidating gives the opposite impression of respect for others. Maybe all this reaction is more a result of the director's comments on this forum.

Anyway, as much as I did not care for their show, (and I tried and tried, all season), I truly respect the talent and skill of the members of Onyx.

• Like 1