Onyx

This chump obviously has a vendetta against SCV!

He's a writer and wrote a review! He starts his annual top 32 after finals are over. I find his writing delicious, filled with references and nuances that make me think. 'It was all good'. I got fan network a week ago, watched 38 2011 guards to date and am slowly digesting the feast of views and reviews!

signed lindap (a student of Stanley Knaub over 30 years ago :-)

• Like 2

This chump obviously has a vendetta against SCV!

I don't know......

Something, tho. :sad:

• Like 1

I agree. I don't recall ever seeing more than 15 people with equipment in their hands at any given time....... random running, random tossing, random cellophane.... While Onyx's show was not to my liking, I recently found out that Michael Lentz designed South Shore's show. My hat's off to him for that one. It was one of my favorite show's of the whole weekend.

It has been so fun proving you wrong this season TKYR_FA1986, if you pay close enough attention (like the show is no doubt designed to force you to do) you will see more than 20 people spinning...and that is just towards the begginning. There is a part where everyone is on one tarp where there is no way to count how many people are spinning equipment. So...yeah...id actually watch the show closely before i criticized it : :thumbup:

• Like 3

Me too ?? I would really love it Lentz would make a post and tell us what they heck is onyx's show all about besides art ...there has to be something behind that concept... also I think he needs to explain him self on why his performers be stoned face at retreat...especially once they medal please because I still find that disrespectful as someone who stood on that floor that day

I thought Lentz was going to have an open discussion on Onyx's 2011 production to shed some light as to what it was about... blink.gif

• Like 1

It has been so fun proving you wrong this season TKYR_FA1986, if you pay close enough attention (like the show is no doubt designed to force you to do) you will see more than 20 people spinning...and that is just towards the begginning. There is a part where everyone is on one tarp where there is no way to count how many people are spinning equipment. So...yeah...id actually watch the show closely before i criticized it : :thumbup:

HOW are you proving me wrong? I stated that I don't recall ever seeing more than 15 people spinning. What I did NOT say was that there was never more than 15 spinning. Big difference. Also, if they are all on one tarp and there is no way to count how many are spinning, then how do you know it's more than 15? I would love to know how you proved me wrong. I said they would not win, and they didn't. I said I hated the show, and I do.

I guess I will never know the exact number of people spinning in that show because not only will I NOT pay close attention, I won't view it again. I find it to be garbage. If Bob's Guard from Paducah did that show, they would have never made it past semi-finals.....

I'm done on the subject of Onyx until they step out of The Louvre and return to world of SPINNING!

• Like 1

Your idea and my idea of negative comments about Onyx's show are rather different. If you saw the show you can see that not all members touch equipment. With that being said, how is wondering how many of them can actually spin a negative comment?

Your tone just seemed negative, like it was wrong for them to have a dance line. And I do not have any ill will towards you. The great thing about these forums is to discuss if you like or dont like any given show. But in this case, it seems as though you have something personall against Onyx or someone in it. Given the amount of posts you provide against them. In my preference, if you do not like a show, it is just better state your reasons why in a post or two and then leave it at that. As opposed to continually adding negativity to the topic.

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 1

Your tone just seemed negative, like it was wrong for them to have a dance line. And I do not have any ill will towards you. The great thing about these forums is to discuss if you like or dont like any given show. But in this case, it seems as though you have something personall against Onyx or someone in it. Given the amount of posts you provide against them. In my preference, if you do not like a show, it is just better state your reasons why in a post or two and then leave it at that. As opposed to continually adding negativity to the topic.

Seemed is a very big word and as they say, everything isn't what it seems.. I have nothing against the members of Onyx, I have nothing against Michael Lentz. I found his post arrogant and insulting to the audience but have no ill will towards him as a person or the members of his guard. I have enjoyed their shows in the past. I actually grew to like last years show. I personally felt they did far too many ripples but at least they were spinning last year.

I also praised what be did for South Shore. That guard has always had the talent and it was great to see them with a well designed show. I know the guy is talented. It is obvious. He took a risk with his own guard this year and it didn't pay off for me, and several others.

As far as continually adding negativity to the topic, this is a discussion about Onyx, if all that was posted were comments from one side, it wouldn't be much of a discussion would it? This is the real world, not Disney World, everything is NOT positive. It's time to but on your big boy pants and grasp that concept.

Me too ?? I would really love it Lentz would make a post and tell us what they heck is onyx's show all about besides art ...there has to be something behind that concept... also I think he needs to explain him self on why his performers be stoned face at retreat...especially once they medal please because I still find that disrespectful as someone who stood on that floor that day

Better than him I would rather have one of the almighty effect or ensemble judges come on here and explain how They met all the criteria. We all know there is a double standard in World Class BUT when you hear judges say " I don't know where to look " " to much is going on " where's the focus" "running from one place to another does not make a good transition" " form and function" " Clutter" " entrances and exits clarity" " techique to one another" " What's all this about".......lol..I guess there could be a ,million other catch words people hear..lol...especially for bad or inconsistant judging.

So, instead of hearing from Mr. Lentz, this was just his vivsion lets hear from someone who CLAIMS to understand it and set it to a criteria. ...YEAH LIKE THAT MIGHT HAPPEN...LOL :rock:

• Like 1