Onyx

I think this prompts the question: what is "vocabulary"?

In this case, Onyx has sort of tricked us by not doing what we are used to. We tend to think of equipment vocab as clear, easy to read hand-to-rifle/sabre/flag movements and twirls. We tend to remember equipment moments where multiple members are executing a similar vocabulary in unison.

But I don't think it's a debate that Onyx is not executing a full equipment vocabulary and book. It's not very easy to see watching an up-top view on a computer screen, but during the web cast, when the camera zoomed in, you could see these guys spinning... and with skill. And if you pay attention, there are definitely moments where the same visual lines are repeated and nuanced.

Your opinions are your own of course, but you can't claim they are stretching rules when they are not. Stand up for your opinions without trying to look for ways to "incriminate" the ensemble. It's unfair.

• Like 5

Just one correction - Pacificaires are not French Canadian. They are from British Columbia - which is on the west coast of Canada (French Canadians live in Quebec - on the East Coast)

Later,

Mike

Mr. Hill corrected his article. Sonnor's flagwork is very lyrical; sending hugs from Alberta!

Now where was I? Yes. Onyx has poetry. What poem and who narrates? I'm curious :-)

• Like 1

That's what I don't understand; why are they rewarding it and what are they saying to the other groups who actually have an equipment book consisting of spinning, tossing, and moving as a unit. I would love to know the number of people who were in Onyx that CAN NOT spin equipment at all or on a World Class level.

They all can!!! :) Promise. I recognize alot of them from top corps. Some of the dancers even spin weapon!! :) Thats the cool thing about this sport, you can pick and choose what you do for what season. Some corps instructors ask their kids to do winter and focus on dance so they will be stronger at it. Theres of course instances like that for weapon and even flag. Gotta love guard. :)

• Like 2

This is depressing. :( It tore at my heart. That people think that the shapes and movements the performers of guards make doesnt classify them as artists. :( so the artist that sculpts the sculpture of the ballerina is an artist but the dancer that picked the pose, GOT IN THAT POSE, and put on the uniform to model for the piece of art is of course not an artist? :( This is weird to me.

• Like 3

This should not surprise anyone...it's how their Director, Michael Lentz acts all the time...and it's how he teaches his guard to act, and it's in line with the pompous and arrogant delivery of the message of their production. And...I will most certainly blame the performers as well...these are ADULT World Class performers. They have choices regarding how they act in regards to sportsmanship. I had and still have an unsavory bitter taste about the whole subject of Onyx...that's why I stood up and walked out when they walked into the arena. MY OPINION, MY CHOICE.

Scott Markham