BORING WINTER GUARD, YAWN Hot Dog Time

downupdown

Ok so is anyone else bored with Winterguards these days? I sat through FFCC Champs yesterday and SFWGA Champs Saturday and I was bored to death with WGI show concepts. Why is everyone playing the game with such DEEP shows. life is not ALWAYS about oil spills, death, abortions, suicide, cancer, or racism (Michael James that was all geared towards you). I watched talented guar after talented guard do these shows that are so dreadful and depressing to watch. I think out of both circuits Flanagan had a fun show, Gainesville Ind had a wonderful fun show and Fahrenheit World tore the roof off the gym with how fun and entertaining they were. I know people are going to argue that they like slow boring shows because they are beautiful blah blah blah but lets cut the ####, When Fahrenheit ended their show the entire stands jumped to their feet. The crowd yelled throughout. Same for Gainesville Ind but way more for Fahrenheit. As good as Braddock and Premonition are, its clear by the audiences response that they would RATHER watch Premonition and Braddock do shows more fun and upbeat like Fahrenheit is doing this year. Why do the judges NEVER look at how the audience reacts. Those judges must have to scream on their tapes to be heard during Fahrenheit's show, the audience just lost their #### when Fahrenheit was on. Don't get me wrong I know which guard spins better and moves better however I am sick of falling asleep at shows.

Thanks Fahrenheit for waking me up yesterday at the end of the show. I was tired and falling asleep.

I must also say the audience around me was having a count down to how many guards were on until Fahrenheit. They were well anticipated.

Also thanks Flanagan for smiling this year. Makes me feel better.

• Like 2

I actually quite adore a lot of the shows that Michael James puts together.

And..I also have a feeling this topic will be closed very shortly..

Sounds like it.

Downupdown it seems to me we are hold a grudge or may be rather jealous with Michael James and the shows he produces. He actually does shows that may touch someone and that are meaningful for the performers.

I was at FFCC champs Sunday and you were over exaggerating the amount of applause and the "standing ovation" that fahrenheit received on Sunday. I will admit that they have gotten better but I expect a world class colorguard to give me another type of GE besides a toss. After the 10th toss in 15 seconds i'm done.

Also you mentioned I watched these talented guards do boring shows. So why don't you do just that watch the talent of the guard. You can appreciate something in their show.

Edited by cgfollower

Sounds like it.

Downupdown it seems to me we are hold a grudge or may be rather jealous with Michael James and the shows he produces. He actually does shows that may touch someone and that are meaningful for the performers.

I was at FFCC champs Sunday and you were over exaggerating the amount of applause and the "standing ovation" that fahrenheit received on Sunday. I will admit that they have gotten better but I expect a world class colorguard to give me another type of GE besides a toss. After the 10th toss in 15 seconds i'm done.

Also you mentioned I watched these talented guards do boring shows. So why don't you do just that watch the talent of the guard. You can appreciate something in their show.

You see now the double standards we complain about ( other threads not to mention ) we are guilty of ourselves as spectators, directors, and designers. You mention lots of tosses and maybe youre right although other toss more ( just watch ) but who complained when NEI creates most of their effect by tosses...watch many many years of Flannagan..it's a toss fest..How about the WGI ripple one after another I can go on but maybe you get the point.......Double standards..and some of us all fall into it. AS far as some of these other designers that choose to do those OMG another love loss, Josh Grobin type show, to me finding your niche is great but when you have to sit through dozens of these shows it's like watching paint peel. CHANGE IT UP!!!!!

I believe alot of what we see and don't like is the direct double stan dard attitude of the judging system...I have been in mettings literlly listening to judges BASH a guard for all these reasons..then reward it........maybe it's time for a re-vamp of the system as well as the staples we have had judging us all. maybe then and only then diversity will come back to the activity. Until then brown is still the color, we will see yet another political show :rolleyes: tragic love and loss will still be copied by all ( look back on old vids you will see )and an audiance gets cheated out of a variety and a true SHOW atmosphere.

• Like 1

PS................I have enjoyed some of Mr James's shows ( just not his world clas shows ) and do like USF alot this year. I fact viewing all of their competators personally They should be beating ones who have beaten them. Looking at the re cap from that championship it seems 1 judge spread it.....hmmmmmmmmmmm and I do love Braddock...dont know if it should medal but dtill lov e them even with all their tosses :tongue:

Ok so is anyone else bored with Winterguards these days? I sat through FFCC Champs yesterday and SFWGA Champs Saturday and I was bored to death with WGI show concepts. Why is everyone playing the game with such DEEP shows. life is not ALWAYS about oil spills, death, abortions, suicide, cancer, or racism (Michael James that was all geared towards you). I watched talented guar after talented guard do these shows that are so dreadful and depressing to watch. I think out of both circuits Flanagan had a fun show, Gainesville Ind had a wonderful fun show and Fahrenheit World tore the roof off the gym with how fun and entertaining they were. I know people are going to argue that they like slow boring shows because they are beautiful blah blah blah but lets cut the ####, When Fahrenheit ended their show the entire stands jumped to their feet. The crowd yelled throughout. Same for Gainesville Ind but way more for Fahrenheit. As good as Braddock and Premonition are, its clear by the audiences response that they would RATHER watch Premonition and Braddock do shows more fun and upbeat like Fahrenheit is doing this year. Why do the judges NEVER look at how the audience reacts. Those judges must have to scream on their tapes to be heard during Fahrenheit's show, the audience just lost their #### when Fahrenheit was on. Don't get me wrong I know which guard spins better and moves better however I am sick of falling asleep at shows.

Thanks Fahrenheit for waking me up yesterday at the end of the show. I was tired and falling asleep.

I must also say the audience around me was having a count down to how many guards were on until Fahrenheit. They were well anticipated.

Also thanks Flanagan for smiling this year. Makes me feel better.

There certainly seems to be an abnormal amount of posting about how wonderful Fahrenheit is this year. With the exception of the judges, which have pretty much been consistent all year, it seems to be everyone's favorite guard of the season. As for me, I like to see quality....whether it's fast and loud, or slow and elegant.....doesn't matter....just make it good. Hope everyone has a safe trip to the big dance. The staff and performers have worked hard all season....let's hope EVERY guard has it's best run through in Dayton when it matters the most!!

There certainly seems to be an abnormal amount of posting about how wonderful Fahrenheit is this year. With the exception of the judges, which have pretty much been consistent all year, it seems to be everyone's favorite guard of the season. As for me, I like to see quality....whether it's fast and loud, or slow and elegant.....doesn't matter....just make it good. Hope everyone has a safe trip to the big dance. The staff and performers have worked hard all season....let's hope EVERY guard has it's best run through in Dayton when it matters the most!!

Actually you are quite wrong. there was alot last year but for all the wrong reasons...Seemed everyone hated the sappy loves fest and dead lover show ( M. James ) other years ( not really sure ) interesting choice of words also ( abnormal ) if it were someone else is the NORMAL? LOL

Is it better to discuss show desires, concepts,if we agree or not, I say yes and we can do it without direct bashing of the members, although the guards in mention and many others have all been hit one time or another or as in posts way back talk about well kept WGI secrets, and we all know what they are. Either way I have enjoyed many guards and wish them all well.

Actually you are quite wrong. there was alot last year but for all the wrong reasons...Seemed everyone hated the sappy loves fest and dead lover show ( M. James ) other years ( not really sure ) interesting choice of words also ( abnormal ) if it were someone else is the NORMAL? LOL

Is it better to discuss show desires, concepts,if we agree or not, I say yes and we can do it without direct bashing of the members, although the guards in mention and many others have all been hit one time or another or as in posts way back talk about well kept WGI secrets, and we all know what they are. Either way I have enjoyed many guards and wish them all well.

Just to clarify...I was in no way bashing Fahrenheit...or any other team. It just seems like a LOT of people are disappointed they are not scoring better. I mentioned the slow and elegant/fast and loud as extremes in design choices. I don't care....pick one...or something in between. Just make it good!! Are there some kind of WGI secrets that relates to people liking Fahrenheit?? Did I miss something here?

Just to clarify...I was in no way bashing Fahrenheit...or any other team. It just seems like a LOT of people are disappointed they are not scoring better. I mentioned the slow and elegant/fast and loud as extremes in design choices. I don't care....pick one...or something in between. Just make it good!! Are there some kind of WGI secrets that relates to people liking Fahrenheit?? Did I miss something here?

Oh..I'm sorry if I made it sound like you were saying that.. I'm sorry...as far as WGI and the secrets the only thing I meant was would people rather talk shows civally ( which we should ) or talk about who did what to who and where. I say lets talk guard !!!!!!!!!