Ran into Two Blue Stars Eating at White Castle

I was in Logan Airport and I was wearing a Bluecoats shirt. While waiting for my next flight I noticed a guy (looked about late 30 or early 40s) wearing an Academy shirt and remember thinking he seemed old for Academy. He noticed my shirt and stopped me while I was walking by and he asked if I marched Bluecoats. I said I didn't but wanted to and I planned on marching the next summer with Music City. Then I asked if he marched Academy and he said he didn't. He simply helped them out but he marched Phantom. I commented that my band's visual instructor marched Phantom 93. His wife was like "No way!" and the guy was like, "That's the year I marched Phantom."

How many activities can find a guy helping an Arizona corps who marched an Illinois corps in Boston who marched with the teacher of a Tennessean who's going on to march this summer himself?

Granted the guy couldn't remember my guy. He marched soprano, my guy marched contra, you can only remember so many people although he said the guy sounded familiar.

Edited by TrumpetVinny
  • Like 2

Another one that comes to mind:

2001-2002...one of those years... my wife and I were having dinner with her mom at a place on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Now... when it comes to the drum corps activity, the Eastern Shore might as well be Mars. It's pretty far removed from the whole scene.

So...we're having dinner, and the guy at the next table looks at me and says, "excuse me for interrupting.... but aren't you the guy who used to announce the Cumberland show?" (DCA show in western Maryland that ran 1989-2000)

Yes, I was, I told him.

Holy mackerel. The odds of running into another drum corps fan at that location were like a million to one.

Hey I've been thru Cumberland... Sure my blood pressure spiked hitting that curve after already driving 6 hours from the far end of WV. I't be one thing Fran if they knew you from doing DCA, but Cumberland? :tongue:

Kinda off the mark but corps related. Harrisburg has a Fire Museum in a section of town you normally would not drive thru. :shutup: Old car club went there last month and finally got a answer to a local corps question that I had. In a back corner (like we have no idea where else to put it) is a plaque dedicated to local firmen who passed away while at a fire ca 1920s. A marker under the plaque said it was found in the basement ruins of Aurand VFW Post at <street address> in the city. ####!!!! Aurand Post had the VFW National Champions back in the 50s and I never could find the address on Google. Sister come over and grabs her cell phone with all the apps and enters the address.

So picture it.... Museum is a 100+ year old firehouse, plaque over 80 years old, Championship 50+ years ago and Post has benn closed 40+ years. There we are reading a map on technology less that 10 years old. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari