Five great percussion moments in DCI history

Enjoy, and remember...it's just five among the thousands of great percussion moments in DCI history.

Great selection of shows to represent 5 great percussion moments in DCI history.

I was going to get indignant until I saw the title said "great", not "greatest." Can't argue with your choices - they are indeed great moments -

Five more that I would submit -

1992 Crossmen ("Puma" drum feature) - stick heights, stick heights, stick heights. Once the snares come back in right before the horns, arms are flailing in perfect unison all the way through the big push. Simply amazing.

2002 Cavaliers - ("Fight Club" closer) - yes, the guard and hornline drill brought the house down. But I can tell you from personal observation, drumlines throughout DCI in '03, when not practicing their own material, were hacking away with Shave and a Haircut / Green Acres.

1997 Madison Scouts - ("The Battle" drum feature) - Okay, even as a drummer, I'm not sure I can tell you what they played. But I sure remember the drum rack, spinning around and the swordfight atop it...

Les Etoiles 1998 ("The Chase" closer, with "Zero-G" drumming) - I have to say this is one of the most amazing and innovative drum features I've ever seen outdoors. And nobody's ever tried to duplicate it.

2000 Cadets - ("The Promise" closer) - the drum feature that brought the house down in 35 straight contests. By midseason, the corps was simply using the drum feature (and horn feature behind it) as the sole show music in their encore performances, and for good reason. Seeing them was the only DCI encore I've ever been in where there was a frantic crowd rush to the front of the balcony in order to see the tenor players better.

Anyways, those are my five, but like I said, I don't dispute Boo's at all, either. :smile:

Mike

Oh, and as a "how could I forget to add" moment - 2003 Blue Devils (Take Five) - that one I *would* submit as one of the greatest drum moments ever! If you're going to start with a solo drummer, then you have to bring the fire, and oh, boy did the Devils bring the fire...

Mike

Well done, Michael! Fyi, the Bluecoats video is "not available" for some reason. Not sure if it's just on my end.

It's working for me, but I've the same issues before. Try refreshing if it doesn't come through or click out and click back into the feature. It might have something to do with how many people are trying to watch the same thing at the same time...I don't know.

Enjoy, and remember...it's just five among the thousands of great percussion moments in DCI history.

It's really, really difficult to choose the most memorable " Fab Five ". So I'm sure some fans might have others. That said, these Five were all GREAT in my opinion, and I enjoyed the march down memory lane to catch a glimpse of them once again. Nice work, Michael.

• Like 2

True, and these are indeed great moments. But it's too bad that 1977 Oakland Crusaders couldn't have gotten a mention here. I think I know one reason why; there's no video to capture the moment. But being the only corps in DCI history, that I'm aware of, to win a caption in DCI prelims, but not win the caption award because the corps didn't make finals, seems worthy of at least an honourable mention.

As others have noted, I don't dispute Mike's choices at all. But it seems like this moment is one that's always getting shuffled under the rug. I wonder if DCI would prefer that everyone forget it even happened.

some other cool moments:

phantom regiment 2007 - percussion feature

cavaliers 2003 - beginning of the 3rd movement. the drumline moves throughout the corps while adding in players

cadets 2005 - drum speak :D

crown 2001 - wow, that was an awesome drumline

velvet knights 1995 - drum feature!

I would have to add a few:

'80 SCV "Stone Ground Seven"

'76 BD "Chanel One Suite"

'79 North Star (Sorry, don't know the name. Chrome Wall FTW!)

Feel free to add your own.