Bugler's Hall of Fame Bridgeport

The Bugler's Hall of Fame finals and Banquet dinner was amazing for sure. A very well done format was offered by the officers and special thanks to Anthony Convertito for his hard work before and during the day and evening.

Walking into the hotel lobby, it was obvious that I was at the right place as people in uniform were milling about and the energy of the upcoming day was buzzing through the whole place. After getting situated in the room, I went into the hall where the competition was taking place.

The first set of performers that I heard was the contra and then baritone players, and the judges would have their work cut out for as all of these performers were exceptional talents. Paul Beauchamp of Crusaders Senior and Mass Brass narrowly edged out Dan Skinner from St Kevins and Pepe Algarin from the Cabs Alumni on baritone. Tom Michalski (from more corps than me) was the only contra entry and played with a strong colorful tone for his victory.

The mid voice competition was won by Rick Simard from Mass Brass (Matadors). Rick plays with tons of confidence and isnt at all afraid of the upper register of the horn. His challengers Gerry Roderick from Mass Brass and Matadors and Tom Farr from Belvederes Alumni also played very well. Interestingly I was sitting near my friend Richie Price and every time another former Matador would come to play, he offered his encouragement.

The mixed ensembles began with Dorritie, Grass and McGuiness. They were disqualified for use of electronics LOL....but of course we knew what to expect from these icons. John and Michal Rentschler form the Connecticut Alumni came on next with a very cool arrangement from the musical Man of LaMancha. I was led to believe that this was a husband and wife team, and if they get along as well as they play together they are a great match. Long Island's Famous Romeo's three were next and the astounding control they played with really made the audinece pay close attention. Showing off great tone quality, dynamic control and technique these guys took the trophy in the small ensemble division.

The high brass competition was started off by a very confident Claudia Furman from Connecticut Alumni. She can flat out PLAY. She did a cool arrangement of Roberta Flack's Killing me Softly and received a standing ovation. Tony Martin followed with a stirring In the Mood and wailed the last note out for another standing O. Buglers Hall of Fame Founder Kenton Clarke played in exhibition as did BHOF member Scott Friend. Tony edged out Claudia for first place as the Hall continued to fill up.

The next three brass ensembles were all great in performance. BHOF member Buzzy Bergdoll's St Kevin' ensemble played an outstanding arrangement of Almost Like Being In Love and tight harmonies and great control meant they were here to compete. Next up was Basement Brass (five guys named moe).....WOW is the only words to describe this group of GREAT players from the Rockland Defenders. I looked around and asked "who are these guys?" they will do very well if they decide to come to DCA in ensemble competition.The Connecticut Alumni also offered a small group of talented members and was very well received by the crowd.

Mini Corps division was handily won by Mass Brass from the Boston area. Again they brought an extremely talented group of performers. The high brass section which is always very strong, have added some more firepower, as have the mellophones. The low brass is strong and powerful and the whole ensemble is very clean for this time of the year. The change in arrangers from Kirchner to Key Poulan is notable and should pay big dividends in September in DCA mini corps competition.

The "new kid on the block" was also very well received. The Enfield Centurions have a plan and continue to grow in numbers and quality. According to the manangement team, ultimately a return to the field in DCA is a long term goal, buit the approach of mini corps first is very wise for them. Varied literature from Latin to funk was handled well by this new group.

The Sunrisers were the first alumni corps on, and knowing that they dont practice very often because of logistics, this didnt get in the way they performed. The lead soprano line of at least 6 BHOF members didnt hold back at all. They brought down the house with the triple tonguing version of the "Joker" and also brought back other favorites from the glory years. They brought back memories of Aquinas stadium in Rochester as a kid when every corps had something distinct about them. Thanks!

The Connecticut Alumni was not to be outdone. They played some of the older famous Joe Genero arrangements and some newer music as well. It Dont mean a thing and Caravan really stood out. The drum line was reminisce of the good old days. I remember that streetbeat in the late sixties and early seventies coming out from the tunnel at Aquinas Stadium and immediately identifiying the corps that was coming out next.

I had competed in the 70's against the Brassmen and the alumni remonded me again of how great of a corps they were then. Fast Frankie Nash did a great job as drum major and even played a snare solo. I finally met the one and only Ruben Ariola and listening to him play made me understand totally his place in the BHOF. They also had a nice small working guard that added dimension to the music performance. Ride of the Valkyrie and Minnie the Moocher stood out.

Had this been an alumni competiton, St Kevins brought what it would have taken to win. There 4 man snare line was super clean. The lead sopranos were "on" especially BHOF member Eddie Hayward and future BHOF member John "Cupcakes" Curran. BHOF member Buzzy Bergdoll's arrangements are stellar as is his playing. This corps received many ovations and played 2 encores including the famous South Rampart Street from the 60;s. Well done St. Kevin's.

While it was tough to follow St Kevin's, Selden Cadets were my surprise of the day. The brass line handled the old and new arrangements very well. They came out complete with shakos and looked very sharp. They certainly did not disappoint the crowd and again received a tremendous ovation.

The Banzini Brothers (Dave Negri, Scott Friend, Anthony Convertito, Richie Price, John Grass et al.) finished the program with an intro of Tower of Power's Your Still a Young Man that let everyone know that the Hall of Famers had taken the stage. Dave Negri's imitation of Louis Armstrong was spot on and the finish of Basin Street Blues drove the crowd to a great closing applause to a totally tremendous day of fantastic drum corps.

I am a proud member of the Bugler's Hall of Fame and to be in that room with those legends just made me appreciate my membership even more. The memories, conversations, and fellowshipping cannot be imagined unless you attend one of these events. I will not go another event like this without playing. The members are totally about giving back what they can for the audiences enjoyment.

The more I thought about doing one of these functions in Western New York, the more I am going to try and make it happen. The old individuals contests of the 60's have been revived through the Bugler's Hall of Fame and it is keeping memories alive as these members give away what they got from the teachers they had. It is a history lesson for everyone to enjoy. I will do a review of the banquet and congratulate the incmoing clas of 2011 in another review.

Thanks for having me fellow buglers.

Donny Allen

BHOF class of 2008

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1

It's not the first time I've been DQ'ed. There was that "Amen" thing with Garfield back in the day.

We had a ball. As a kid, I could go to a contest and see one or two of my favorite players perform. At the BHOF, I can rub shoulders with the likes of Jimmy D'Amico, Ace Petersen, Al Chez, Joey Pero, Frank Buscemi, Frank Diliberto, Ray Fallon, Harry Hazelwood, Kenton Clarke, Buzzy Bergdoll, Jr., Ruben Ariola, Donny Allen, ...and on and on, all at the same time.

It really doesn't get any better than that. What a night!

• Like 1

It's not the first time I've been DQ'ed. There was that "Amen" thing with Garfield back in the day.

We had a ball. As a kid, I could go to a contest and see one or two of my favorite players perform. At the BHOF, I can rub shoulders with the likes of Jimmy D'Amico, Ace Petersen, Al Chez, Joey Pero, Frank Buscemi, Frank Diliberto, Ray Fallon, Harry Hazelwood, Kenton Clarke, Buzzy Bergdoll, Jr., Ruben Ariola, Donny Allen, ...and on and on, all at the same time.

It really doesn't get any better than that. What a night!

For DCP folks who haven't gotten out to one of these BHoF I&E shows, get the schedule early and put it on your bucket list. Simply an amazing day - the bari ensemble from St. Kevins was worth the trip - those boys can play! For the younger, hipper crowd (say from the 1980s or so) Mass Brass will tune you up, and listening to players like Frank Dorritie and Johnny Grass you could close your eyes and you wouldn't be able to tell it's not the 60s and 70s editions. Simply amazing. And for some of you youngsters who missed earlier renditions of John "Screech" Arietano - fasten your seat belts - he hasn't lost a single overtone. If age has caused you to lose some of your high frequency hearing - bring your dog. He can still hear John's favored tessitura.

Glad I could make it and happy to see so many friends reaching back 50 years or so.

• Like 1

For DCP folks who haven't gotten out to one of these BHoF I&E shows, get the schedule early and put it on your bucket list. Simply an amazing day - the bari ensemble from St. Kevins was worth the trip - those boys can play! For the younger, hipper crowd (say from the 1980s or so) Mass Brass will tune you up, and listening to players like Frank Dorritie and Johnny Grass you could close your eyes and you wouldn't be able to tell it's not the 60s and 70s editions. Simply amazing. And for some of you youngsters who missed earlier renditions of John "Screech" Arietano - fasten your seat belts - he hasn't lost a single overtone. If age has caused you to lose some of your high frequency hearing - bring your dog. He can still hear John's favored tessitura.

Glad I could make it and happy to see so many friends reaching back 50 years or so.

Spot on with the reviews Donny & Ray ... my View From The Pulpit saw some great competitors as well as a great and appreciative crowd ... but, like everyone has mantioned, if you don't get to one of these I&E shows, you don't get to experience the closeness of the crowd to the players and the bantoring and chiding that goes on throughout the day ... a nice touch was added when Harry Hazelwood offered to review Tax Returns for people in the crowd in between competitiors ... and ... if you haven't heard already, John Bailey finally got "pardoned" by the Mayor of Bpt for the Ice Cream Truck Incident in 1963! ... LOL ... and the banquet (our largest to date) was filled with emotion and passion by the inductees, their families and the presenters ... it was gratifying to see crowd intensely listening as introductions were made and acceptance speeches were given from the heart ... I was especially taken aback by Tom Day and his enchanting, lovely daughter Julie ... was a delight just to be in their presence ...

BFDTV will be putting some video clips of the show and banquet ... I encourage you to view them ... you will not be disappointed ...

Andy "you cordial BHOF MC (boy was it a long day)" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

And I forgot to say how well Andy did as an MC...his replacement was as good though.

Donny

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words. We were happy to be there and did okay but I think first-ever show jitters got the best of us.

See you all in Rochester! The Romans are coming!

Larry

Yes Larry...off to a good start.

Donny

Thanks for the great review, Donny. I wish I could have been there. It sounds like I missed a good time. Hope to see many of you at DCA, if not sooner!

Thank you all for the kind words about Mass Brass. A special welcome and thank you to our worthy competitors, the Enfield Centurions for competing! You have made it past the most difficult part of making it to the gig. Now it's just practice, practice, practice and rehearse, rehearse, rehearse and you guys will get to where you want to be!

Congratulations to Jerry, Rick & Paul for continuing to do Mass Brass proud and raising the bar at individuals!

Lastly, thank you to Anthony and the entire BHOF for their well run shows this year. It was great to see old friends and new while enjoying some great entertainment. We enjoyed ourselves immensely!

See ya in Rachacha if not sooner,

Strutta

Corps Director

MASS BRASS

Edited by strutta