1988 Suncoast Sound is DCI Download of the Week

Jumping in to say that, along with Allen and John in this thread, that it was truly an honor to be a part of this show. Ironically, it almost didn't happen. I vividly remember the first camp of 88 (in the fall of 87) when we read a Robert Smith arrangement of Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train". Yep, 88 was originally going to be a Duke Ellington show. John, Allen, you guys remember that?

Anyhow, I "grew up" with Suncoast. They had many camps at my HS when I was a freshman clarinet(!) player, and again the next year. (The 85 and 86 seasons) I rode up on my bike, with my boombox on the handles, and recorded hours of camps. Sadly, those tapes are lost... and there was some great stuff there, like when the opening overture had a samba section with an alto (I think) duet. That experience solidified my desire to learn a brass instrument, and 2 years later I was in the corps.

87 was a VERY hard year, but I will let John expound upon what all went on that year. Obviously, if we hadn't lived through 87, 88 would never have happened either.

I could go on and on about the things that we experienced in both 88 and 89, but I am at work and what not. Thanks a lot for the love Mike, and everyone else on this thread. That was a VERY hard summer, but obviously very much worth it.

Jumping in to say that, along with Allen and John in this thread, that it was truly an honor to be a part of this show. Ironically, it almost didn't happen. I vividly remember the first camp of 88 (in the fall of 87) when we read a Robert Smith arrangement of Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train". Yep, 88 was originally going to be a Duke Ellington show. John, Allen, you guys remember that?

Anyhow, I "grew up" with Suncoast. They had many camps at my HS when I was a freshman clarinet(!) player, and again the next year. (The 85 and 86 seasons) I rode up on my bike, with my boombox on the handles, and recorded hours of camps. Sadly, those tapes are lost... and there was some great stuff there, like when the opening overture had a samba section with an alto (I think) duet. That experience solidified my desire to learn a brass instrument, and 2 years later I was in the corps.

87 was a VERY hard year, but I will let John expound upon what all went on that year. Obviously, if we hadn't lived through 87, 88 would never have happened either.

I could go on and on about the things that we experienced in both 88 and 89, but I am at work and what not. Thanks a lot for the love Mike, and everyone else on this thread. That was a VERY hard summer, but obviously very much worth it.

Too bad they're lost. I'd love to hear those recordings!

Too bad they're lost. I'd love to hear those recordings!

Trust me Randy, they were top notch. The drumline kicking the 85 Jungle Love/Spider cadence, Robert Smith asking the hornline in 86 if they thought that what they played was good, then pointing to me and saying "have him play his tape back, you will change your tune"

I also had the Huntington WV judges tape... Bernard Baggs... the night that they premiered the bari/bass drum solis in Midnight in Miami.... Let's just say that Dr. Baggs was enthusiastic about the show.

Man! You better find those tapes, Marwan! Or I'm gonna tell Trump you don't have birth certificate! :cool:

Pretty sure they are gone for good. Lost a lot of old stuff not once but twice in moves. I have looked many, many times for the tapes. They are no more.

<sigh>

I also remember reading through "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing."

OT, but I LOVED '87s MFL and that "Sun Jazz" sound... Great stuff... music.gif