What do you think of Teal Sound?

With so much discussion of electronics involving Teal Sound I want to ask what people think of the corps its self with out necessarily talking about electronics.

Preceding posts show that is impossible. Nevertheless....when I look past the electronics, I like what the corps has been doing with their brass arrangements. The past four years, they've been among the 10-12 corps whose recordings I go back and listen to more frequently than other corps.

Coming into world-class in 2010, Teal Sound needed to take a big step forward in performance level to hold their own in WC....and they did.

As for the electronics....a few comments.

1. My own opinion is that A&E do not balance/blend well with acoustic instruments on the field, whether in drum corps or marching band. I understand what Teal Sound is trying to accomplish in that realm, and I believe they are doing it better than most other marching ensembles who have gone that route....but it still leads to moments that I find unpleasant in terms of balance/blend.

2. I don't think Teal's use of electronics is a "crutch". Every spot this corps has achieved competitively has, IMO, been earned by their performance level in brass, percussion and visual, and I don't expect that to change.

3. Electronic instruments are a lightning rod in this activity. As long as Teal Sound makes use of them in a manner unique to DCI, reaction to them among fans will be largely concerned with the electronics, and not as much about the brass/percussion/visual aspects.

Teal appears to be a very well run organization, and from my observations I have seen the members truly enjoying themselves while performing. I have enjoyed their musical selections the last couple of seasons, and unlike a lot of other WC corps they are close to in placement, they are not performing something that is beyond their capabilities. As has been mentioned previously in this thread, IMHO the electronics are a distraction. Teal has the hornline and drumline talented enough to deliver without having to throw the rock band in, just because they can. It is encouraging to see corps come up through OC and take that next step to WC. I look forward to seeing this year's show.

• Like 1

I will jump in on this one. I am basically an old school, blow me away fan, but...marching band has become so much like Drum Corps the last few decades because all the competing marching bands are run or designed by Drum Corps dinos. Teal Sound is taking anything that is legal in Drum Corps and using it to there advantage... smart. Now, I dont know how much it is really going to help them move up the ladder, I dont see you all in finals anytime soon, if I am to be honest. Most of the stuff that you all have on the field is a crutch, and the judges know it. Last year I saw you all I think 5 times over the season and you all were better every time I saw you. What more can you ask for. Your good at what you are attempting to do. If you all want to get to the top, which is the goal right, your going to have to get rid of the crutch... Drum and Bugle Corps has a place for you now, and you all do well with what you have. But it is still Drum and Bugle Corps! If you all want to stay at the bottom of the World Class division of Drum and Bugle Corps keep pulling out the guitars, drum kits, hell use some flash pods(oh wait, there not legal are they, yet)your a good variety group, if this is the direction you all want to stay, you all are doing a great job. Cant wait to see you all in 2011!

I usually agree with your opinions but I'll have to slightly disagree.

I don't think they have a crutch, they're just utilizing what the resources that are available to them. Electronics aside, last year Teal Sound field one the their best corps to date. The hornline was better, drumline was better, guard was better, and the visual performance part is slowly getting there.

Teal Sound: Don't get rid of the electronics... keep working to refine and perfect a style that is truly unique. The goal isn't to always win. It's can be compared to the thousands of people who want to be president, but how many actually get the chance to make that far up? Not many.

Keep at it.

I usually agree with your opinions but I'll have to slightly disagree.

I don't think they have a crutch, they're just utilizing what the resources that are available to them. Electronics aside, last year Teal Sound field one the their best corps to date. The hornline was better, drumline was better, guard was better, and the visual performance part is slowly getting there.

Teal Sound: Don't get rid of the electronics... keep working to refine and perfect a style that is truly unique. The goal isn't to always win. It's can be compared to the thousands of people who want to be president, but how many actually get the chance to make that far up? Not many.

Keep at it.

He/she asked and I gave my opionion. I like the corps, I did not say they were bad and I actually like there direction, very bold. but... IMO that he /she asked for, I think that to move up the latter in the rankings, all the stuff is not going to help them. Maybe crutch was the wrong word to use, but I posted and now it is what it is. I never meant any disrespect to there Corps, I really like what they do, to me if you all want to move up, lose the stuff. If you all dont care where you place, keep it all, I will be a fan either way.

He/she asked and I gave my opionion. I like the corps, I did not say they were bad and I actually like there direction, very bold. but... IMO that he /she asked for, I think that to move up the latter in the rankings, all the stuff is not going to help them. Maybe crutch was the wrong word to use, but I posted and now it is what it is. I never meant any disrespect to there Corps, I really like what they do, to me if you all want to move up, lose the stuff. If you all dont care where you place, keep it all, I will be a fan either way.

I'm not saying your wrong, I just disagree.

But I have a question: What if they keep "crutch" but they refine and perfect it over the years and make it really effective? Do you think they'll be able to move up in ranks?

• Like 1

But I have a question: What if they keep "crutch" but they refine and perfect it over the years and make it really effective? Do you think they'll be able to move up in ranks?

Problem is, if I may, is that how can you judge an entire corps over 1 or 2 individuals that are amplified over an entire ensemble? Do they account for more points than let's say a lead trumpet?

Didn’t like their electronics at all, thought they were ineffective

With that out of the way

Was impressed by their look and size, they looked huge on the field

Their music did nothing for me, can’t really remember any of it which isn’t a good thing

Their visual was a mess, when I saw them in Michigan City – it was distracting and you could tell the drill was written at an easy level. The only thing going on was field coverage, everything seemed marked off hashes, you could see the next move coming, very high school, band in the box

I think they could have done more with less for the visual, the writing was poor, the weak attempt at big-boy drill only showed how young they were. I’d suggest slowing it down, carrying forms longer, making it more organic, park parts of the corps and then up the horn book

I’m kinder and more forgiving to younger corps but they looked like they were put in a bad situation visually

really was a case of you have to walk before you can run so stop running and learn to walk

As far as their approach, progressive rock corps – not my thing, don’t like the source music either but have at it, no one else is doing it but frankly, I’m not sensing there is enough to work with

• Like 1

Its all good... I hope I am not coming off as like hostile or something, cause I am not trying to be. :thumbup: I dont know if keeping all the stuff is going to help them in the long run. Maybe if it was everything is open to use, no holds bar, you know what I mean. Anything goes, then maybe, but as of now with the restrictions on what you can and cannot use I just dont see all the stuff being more than a fad. Teal was a great Corps last year and I am sure they are going to be great this year. Its there choice where they want to place, not mine, I am going to enjoy them either way.

Didnt like their electronics at all, thought they were ineffective

With that out of the way

Was impressed by their look and size, they looked huge on the field

Their music did nothing for me, cant really remember any of it which isnt a good thing

Their visual was a mess, when I saw them in Michigan City it was distracting and you could tell the drill was written at an easy level. The only thing going on was field coverage, everything seemed marked off hashes, you could see the next move coming, very high school, band in the box

I think they could have done more with less for the visual, the writing was poor, the weak attempt at big-boy drill only showed how young they were. Id suggest slowing it down, carrying forms longer, making it more organic, park parts of the corps and then up the horn book

Im kinder and more forgiving to younger corps but they looked like they were put in a bad situation visually

really was a case of you have to walk before you can run so stop running and learn to walk

As far as their approach, progressive rock corps not my thing, dont like the source music either but have at it, no one else is doing it but frankly, Im not sensing there is enough to work with

Oh there is way more than enough to work with, trust me! A Perfect Circle is going to be frikin SWEET!

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 2

By the way...

Teal Sound is looking for following members:

1-2nd Trumpet; 1-3rd Baritone; 1-Euph; 2 Vibes; 1 Lead Dancer/Storyteller; 4 Flags.

If interested please contact info@tealsound.org to see how you can be a part of the 2011 edition of Teal Sound!!