Drum Corps is So Hardcore

6:40

Im sorry thats still not good enough for me. And the last year at finals I did not watch the Blue Devils, I watched only their tuba section the whole show, because my brother made the joke that he didnt think that they had their tubas on shoulder for half the show... he was right, it was just over 5 min of the show that their tubs were up. Not to mention when they came up to the front side line to set their tubas down, they literally turned their heads back and forth to make sure they were in a straight line, thats visual excellence? I know i marched half the season last year and i shouldnt feel so strongly about another corps i marched against, but I couldnt perform at finals, i had to sit in the stands as a tuba player to see that, it darn near broke my heart.

• Like 1

Im sorry thats still not good enough for me.

Phantom's Ensemble time is right around 6:45. Phantom was beautiful in 2010. But realistically, they didn't play much more music than the Blue Devils. I'm sure you can take a timer to nearly every show and get varying times and try to prove this and that. There's no point to it. The judges decided that the Blue Devils won. Next year, let's hope they decide on someone else, unless the Devils earn it.

Edit: I'm not doing much today. I'll post again in a few hours with the break down of the Top 6. Someone did this for the '09 season last year and I found it pretty informative.

Edited by littlebirdy

Phantom's Ensemble time is right around 6:45. Phantom was beautiful in 2010. But realistically, they didn't play much more music than the Blue Devils. I'm sure you can take a timer to nearly every show and get varying times and try to prove this and that. There's no point to it. The judges decided that the Blue Devils won. Next year, let's hope they decide on someone else, unless the Devils earn it.

You are probably right about that.

You are probably right about that.

I'm surprised you're not getting jumped on hard.

There was a similar thread about the Cavaliers a couple of years ago ( Billy Joel Show) addressing their "lack" of simultaneous demand and tacit time, etc...

People on both sides were going at it. This could go down a similar path.

I'm with you. I'd like to see the full ensemble play for most of the show. Many will interpret that to mean everyone for more than 50% of the show.

I don't quite mean that. I'd like to see and hear most of the people who play an instrument playing most of the time.

Many would argue that this defeats creativity.

How could you have some of the wonderful moments in BD, Cavies, and other shows recently? I mean just because the tubas were tacit doesn't mean there wasn't a bottom end sound coming from the front ensemble...

Anyway, this is how it could go down, but in a much less friendly way...

Edited by jjeffeory

Shows are changing... if you want to compare the average time instruments were up in the '80's compared to now you would see a massive shift ACROSS the BOARD. I don't think acknowledging one corps' playing time is significant enough to deem a "lack of musicality." There has been a shift to more visual shows over the past years as it is, and it is very difficult to balance difficult music with drill and keep cleanliness.

I'm surprised you're not getting jumped on hard.

There was a similar thread about the Cavaliers a couple of years ago ( Billy Joel Show) addressing their "lack" of simultaneous demand and tacit time, etc...

People on both sides were going at it. This could go down a similar path.

I'm with you. I'd like to see the full ensemble play for most of the show. Many will interpret that to mean everyone for more than 50% of the show.

I don't quite mean that. I'd like to see and hear most of the people who play an instrument playing most of the time.

Many would argue that this defeats creativity.

How could you have some of the wonderful moments in BD, Cavies, and other shows recently? I mean just because the tubas were tacit doesn't mean there wasn't a bottom end sound coming from the front ensemble...

Anyway, this is how it could go down, but in a much less friendly way...

Well nevertheless, Ill stick by my opinion and get red marked for it I guess. And my opinion is that I think corps should play more, while still doing creative visual stuff. I do not agree that it should be split to half the show you do this and half the show you should do that. I think you should do both, at the same time, most of the time, and doing one or the other may make up for 25% of the show timewise at most. It is so hard to predict when people will allow your opinions, and when others times, your opinion will be deemed blasphomy, oh DCP, nothing ever changes does it.

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 1

Well nevertheless, Ill stick by my opinion and get red marked for it I guess. And my opinion is that I think corps should play more, while still doing creative visual stuff. I do not agree that it should be split to half the show you do this and half the show you should do that. I think you should do both, at the same time, most of the time, and doing one or the other may make up for 25% of the show timewise at most. It is so hard to predict when people will allow your opinions, and when others times, your opinion will be deemed blasphomy, oh DCP, nothing ever changes does it.

Yup, that's why I've only sporadically posted on here during the past 10 years. I agree with you completely. I know there are other people on here who just can't wait to tow their favorite corps' party line and spout that music is being played by the front ensemble and some other part of the corps or whatever...

It's just not worth it to comment too much. Anyway, I'll go and enjoy the corps that do both this summer, I hope...

Let's be honest here, if this article replaced "Blue Devils" with "Phantom" you would all be pitching a fit. I didn't mean for this thread to become a place to make biased rants against a corps, only against a terrible writer. Admins please close this thread.

Edited by mellophonium
  • Like 3