Most Overrated Drum Corps Shows of the 1860s

Back then "battery" meant gun crews and not snares, tenors, bass drums and cymbals. And you don't want to know what the pit was.

• Like 1

2) New Hampshire 3rd Regiment...one-dimensional

You're full of it, daddio. Jehoshophat Q. Wallingford's bugle section was brilliantly musical, and pair them with the fantastic rudimentary book of Bildad T. "Thwack-Thwackety" Borkovetz's drummer boys and the graceful holding-of-flags that the flag-holders did to the repertoire of "March of the Weevils," "I Will Kiss You 'Neath the Moonlight, Prettybelle," "Christmastide in Old Berdu," and a fantastic closer of "Salome's Dance of Incontinence" from "Ice Castles," and you have a show for the ages.

My point? DON'T DIS THE ENN-AITCH 3.

I have to agree with Lance's analysis of the New Hampshire 3rd Regiment. I found their productions to be straight off the shelves of the Portsmouth Revolutionmart. Their uniforms by Obediah Cesario of AMC (formerly Amoskeag Manufacturing Company) did nothing to distinguish them from such forward-leaning corps as the 89th Hussar Calvinist and Shuttlecock Society. And don't get me started on their throwback repertoire of Froggy Went A-Courtin' and Young Edwin in the Lowlands Low instead of more contemporary works like Tramp! Tramp! Tramp! and Woodman, Spare That Tree. There's no question they played To Anacreon in Heaven just so those who recognized the melody as The Star Spangled Banner would stand up during their show. I've said it before and I'll say it now; the New Hampshire 3rd Regiment was nothing but a bunch of conniption fit honeyfuggling hornswoggling scalawags.

I have to agree with Lance's analysis of the New Hampshire 3rd Regiment. I found their productions to be straight off the shelves of the Portsmouth Revolutionmart. Their uniforms by Obediah Cesario of AMC (formerly Amoskeag Manufacturing Company) did nothing to distinguish them from such forward-leaning corps as the 89th Hussar Calvinist and Shuttlecock Society. I've said it before and I'll say it now; the New Hampshire 3rd Regiment was nothing but a bunch of conniption fit honeyfuggling hornswoggling scalawags.

Why you blasphemous heathen, you ! Say what ye will 'bout them New Humpshiers 3rd Regimen', but them there uni forms were purdier than any unit frum the Shuttlecock Sussiety. But it twas hard ta tell if them was Gawd fearin' Calvinists or not in 'em. None of 'em was Shakers or Quakers. I reckon sum of 'em was Papists or Uni tearians or sumpen like that in them there uni forms.

Edited by BRASSO

1) 150th Pennsylvania Volunteers

Classic AB150PV derangement syndrome

Just anther dinosaur that can’t keep up with the times and understand true art even when it’s right in front of them

My vote goes for Sherman’s March – they kept breaking ranks amongst other things and those Sherman Neckties, really, you call that GE?

umm.. how many people saying new hampshire 3rd regiment have actually seen them live? I bet many of the haters haven't, so you shouldn't comment.

stop sippin' on the haterade, pups.

From all the early phonograph recordings I've heard of them, all I can say is that it sounds like they have cannon balls stuck in their horns!

Oh, and my cherry flavored Hatorade is delicious. I'll sip as much as I please!

Can't believe I'm the first person to point this out, but....

INT was definitely the most overrated corps of the 1860s.

Oh, gimme me a break, will ya ?

Most of the Civil War participants couldn't wait for INT to come onto the field of battle.

Edited by BRASSO

From all the early phonograph recordings I've heard of them, all I can say is that it sounds like they have cannon balls stuck in their horns!

Oh, and my cherry flavored Hatorade is delicious. I'll sip as much as I please!

The cannon balls were used as mutes. They were very innovative for their time. That was well before DCI started their "No Cannon Balls As Mutes" rule that really holds back todays corps.

but without the mutes, they were one of the loudest corps on the field. Of course, the horns back then were so much louder, and held their tune alot better.

I really thought the most overrated show of the 1860s was that show by Revere's Redcoats called "1830" when they used all the piano benches. I remember the crowd went wild, and it was all over the telegraphs, but I just think that the judges got it wrong that year.