Good will, friendship, positive vibes, (Love) in Drum Corps

I would greatly enjoy reading about how over the years various drum corps people have shown unselfish, genuine love to strangers, members of other corps, and even rivals! Don't be shy! Chime right in with your best stories and remembrances! Let's "Gear Up" for the 2011 Drum Corps Season!

There is much more of this than any of that hatred nonsense in the other thread. I can think of countless examples. Regardless of placements or rivalries, this activity really is a family!

1986 Star of Indiana and Bill Cook helping 27th Lancers with our constant bus breakdowns - loaning us buses and providing housing.

I don't know if they still do it, (sure as heck hope they haven't lost this tradition/mindset), but in 2006, I remember Blue Stars would always pause their warm-ups to applaud a corps about to go on as they walked by, and wish them well in their performance. I, for one, always appreciated it greatly! :thumbup:

Edited by zachariaswmb

Pacific Crest: last year while in Rome NY, corps members stopped to play for an elderly woman who could not leave her home. Check this out on YouTube : Pacific Crest plays for senior.

• Like 2

A favorite memory that will last a life time is 2002 BD. My son was lead sop. I met the some kids when I visited in Concord, Denver, and San Antonio and at finals in WI. I brought cookies for their drum major Tobias! While in San Antonio I went along the Boardwalk as if I was one of them, laughing and partying. When they were to board the bus a lot of the kids wanted a Mom hug which I was more than happy to give. In WI I was at most practices bringing cookies and just talking. Because my son was aging out I managed to get on the field to take pictures. When they got ready to march off I turned to go back to the fence and go outside to meet them. One of the kids yelled out to me, "Come with us." I couldn't believe it and then some others said "come on." I got to walk off the field with them as they sang "California Girls." I cried the whole time, it was such an honor! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Last year early in the tour Cadets, Cavies, Crown and Phantom (and possibly others I didn't witness) fed each other when there were issues with the food trucks. Cavies director came by the Cadets foodtruck in SC to personally thank the volunteers. Uber classy.