Good will, friendship, positive vibes, (Love) in Drum Corps

In 1979, few years after my Jr. Corps days (1969-1973), I met George and Cathy Thomas at a show in Chattanooga, TN. they were very open and helpful to me, a "drum corps bum' on tour. When they found out that I had no where to sleep that night, they helped me. The next day they gave me a ride into Birmingham. Since that day, they have been excellent friends to me and have continued to be of tremendous help each year. I truly wish that there were some way I could repay their kindness to me over the years! They have shown, and continue to show, the true spirit of Drum Corps in their daily lives!

George and Cathy! A big shout out to you from Ron Gunn!

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

The way the Drum Corps community has gathered together to support the Troopers during this near-tragic time speaks volumes about the hearts of drum corps members, staff, and fans everywhere! One of the ways we can see the good-will and love drum corps people have for each other is how we react when one or more of us is in trouble! Let's make sure that the Troopers know that we are "in their corner"!

Go Troop!

• Like 2

A couple of examples:

(1) In 1981 or 82 Sky Ryders performed in CA. On the way to Modesto, CA they had an equipment truck breakdown; I can't remember the exact details, but for some reason all the MM's luggage had to be left behind so they could fit their equipment onto the busses. When Sky rolled in, all they had to wear were the clothes on their backs. We (VF) quickly organized a clothes drive, and I remember donating all my souvie shirts (I had a number of 2-7, North Star, Guardsmen shirts) to the cause. We donated hats, shoes, (Dolphin) shorts, you name it...in response Sky did a stand up performance just for us, which was huge. Here we were, "just" an Associate level corps, and a Top 5 hornline is playing to us. Lots of b/f+g/f relationships formed there.

(2)In my last two years with SCV it wasn't uncommon to be approached by (sometimes much) younger MM's from smaller corps that had performed before us and be asked questions, etc. I would always make it a point to engage them in conversation ask how if they'd had a good show or compliment them on something I'd observed earlier, like, "I'm sorry I missed being able to watch your show, but I heard [saw] your warmup in the parking lot as we pulled in and it [looked/sounded] great!" or "Man, your drumline was on fire," or "You guys went up X points from last night, great job!" I remember asking one group (from the Americanos, I think) what sorts of funny things had happened to them on tour thus far, and their eyes just lit up as they told their stories...very cool.

• Like 3

I would greatly enjoy reading about how over the years various drum corps people have shown unselfish, genuine love to strangers, members of other corps, and even rivals! Don't be shy! Chime right in with your best stories and remembrances! Let's "Gear Up" for the 2011 Drum Corps Season!

I remember back in 72 the earls of Bucks was traveling to lynne & there was another corps bus cant remember thier name the bus had just broke down & they needed someone to get them back on the road myself & a couple instructors stayed behind & got the bus running for them the bus started & we got a Standing ovation now that i think of it i think it was the Madison Scouts

So many, many, many examples. Here's just a couple from when I marched. Frequent after show snack team-ups with the Cadets during which we hung out and got to know many of their members. Finals week '97 shared housing site with Cavaliers and shared meals (adjacent ballrooms at a Disney resort, best housing site ever!). They even had a barber station at their food truck one day that they offered up. Sure, this is a competitive activity where everyone wants their show to reach the top, but drum corps truly is a village where everyone helps one another (mostly).

There are so many traditions and historical peace offerings between corps to even list.

Having worked with several organizations through the years I have had to opportunity to make the offering as well as be on the receiving end of a kind gesture that always seems to come when the members, staff and support are in greatest need.

Having experienced a bus accident as a young member of a corp's management team I learned quickly that it was one of the most horrific experiences I know there to be in the drum corps community. The immediate outpouring of concern for the members of our corps from the members of other organizations blew me away! Walking into the stadium for check-in for the first time after several days "out of commission" our staff was overwhelmed by the well wishes, kind gestures and helpful offers.

But the most impressive thing happened in the lot that night after our return to the field, I watched our corps family take in the comforting wishes, kind words and hugs from the members and staff of other organizations, audience members, show personnel...

...it isn't the organization that builds the tradition, it's the people within.

At my first competition last year, the people who were associated with the corps, the crowd, and especially the souvenier trailer workers were the nicest people I've ever met. I couldn't have imagined anything better from those people. :smile:

Yep, my wife has a bad leg and needs extra time to get around and help to get to her seat. After a bunch of years at DCA and other shows we have yet to have a bad experience with the people around us. Always hear "Take your time", "want some help" and lot of arms coming up to help her along. Kicker was the gut who helped her down stadium steps near the end of DCA Finals. Found out later he was staff at a corps trying to win DCA and he was doing this as his corps was coming out on the field. He's a DCPer so won't embarress by saying name or corps.....

Oh yeah, my wife never did corps so she's just amazed....

Yep, my wife has a bad leg and needs extra time to get around and help to get to her seat. After a bunch of years at DCA and other shows we have yet to have a bad experience with the people around us. Always hear "Take your time", "want some help" and lot of arms coming up to help her along. Kicker was the gut who helped her down stadium steps near the end of DCA Finals. Found out later he was staff at a corps trying to win DCA and he was doing this as his corps was coming out on the field. He's a DCPer so won't embarress by saying name or corps.....

Oh yeah, my wife never did corps so she's just amazed....

And it never ceases to amaze me how people who are not in Drum Corps are so astonished by the friendship, helpfullness, and love Drum Corps people show to each other and to people who are outside of Drum Corps! They just don't understand how or why so many people who come from so many different backgrounds, educational levels, social statuses, countries, ethnic backgrounds and races can find so much in common and be so helpful to each other! Is it possible that the heart of drum corps tends to "rub off" on people as they are exposed to it and live in it? Or is it that the love that is shown to staff, members, parents, and fans and even outsides is shared, spread aound, and multiplied by the frequency of it's action?

Another example:

Yesterday I was on the phone talking with a godd Drum Corps friend who lives in Texas. I told him about my hope to attend the competitions in Saginaw and Round Rock next weekend. He told me that he would be there and that he had extra tickets for the shows. He then offered the tickets to me. After thanking him, i began to tell him about my travel plans. "When will you be getting to Dallas?", he asked. Once he had my anser, he suggested that he pick me up at the Dallas, TX Greyhound Station and that I stay the weekend at his home. I was floored by his generosity! I accepted his offer of transportation and lodging and and asked him if there was anything I could do to help him. "Just help someone else who needs your help, Ron", was his answer. I can hardly wait to get out on tour now! It's going to be an awesome summer!

One of the things that Drum Corps does is it gives people who are in what many would call "hopeless situations" hnope for the future! Drum Corps does this by the many, many "random acts of kindness" it's participants are "guilty" of daily!

God bless "Drum Corps People", everywhere!

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY