Where are the timpani?

I disagree.

I think it's closer than you think. Or hope.

The next step will not be more electronics. It will be a tarp on the field. I'm actually surprised no one has thought of this by now.

Sigh.

BD had tarps on the field in '90.

• Like 1

I disagree.

The next step will not be more electronics. It will be a tarp on the field. I'm actually surprised no one has thought of this by now.

Sigh.

I have heard that one World Class group IS having a tarp on the field this year. It might be a rumor, but I doubt it.

G bugles...cymbals...tympani...

next will be tubas and marimbas...

I know it's been said many times by many people, and it sounds so silly when they say it but...it's heading towards a pit full of synths, and a huge guard. If that's what people want, I guess that's what they want, but I won't be supporting it.

Based on every staff member/designer/director I've ever talked to, that is most assuredly NOT what people want.

But keep on pushing that dopey rhetoric... :rolleyes:

I do agree that not all shows require timpani. I am also intimately familiar with the cost and difficulty involved in using those instruments. However, if there are timpani sounds required in a show those sounds should be produced by a timpanist playing a timpani, not by a synthesizer. There are several great kids playing timpani this summer who would probably agree with me. Try to remember that when you are saying it's ok to not use timpani...what you are really saying is that it's ok for those kids to no longer have a place on the field.

On the flip side, I remember several shows "back-in-the-day" where timpani was kind of "forced" into the ensemble just because it was 'standard' instrumentation.

I personally think that designers should not be "handcuffed" with 'having' to use specific instruments. While you can argue that timpani is the most prominent percussion instrument in the orchestra/wind ensemble world, it's non-existent in jazz, fusion, and many other genres. While I love a great drum corps timpanist (FWIW I'm a classical percussionist, and spent time when I was younger playing timpani in professional symphonies as a sub), and it's undeniable that a great timpanist can add a LOT to a show. But if it's not needed by the design of the show, then why force it? In this day and age a good timpanist can easily transition to a mallet part or auxiliary part, so they do still have a place in the corps if they want.

I disagree.

Sigh.

This has been done: over 30 years ago at least. Blue Devils and Cadets have each done it at least once that I can think of off the top of my head

Last year Pioneer used a two octave Xylosynth for the timp parts. Electronic problems with conections and such had the corps without that timbre at many shows. I know Timpani are difficult to transport and old drums need to be replaced, but I missed that sound when it wasnt there. That seemed to be too often for me.

Herein lies the dilemna...corps that cant afford to get new timps (or transport carts), or even fix the old ones, do not usually have anyone banging on their door to sponsor them. These are the same corps that cannot afford to buy new electronics that keep up with the higher ranked corps. While there may not have been anything wrong with the actual instrument(Xylosynth)...there were problems because of power source, mixing board, snake, quality and size of speakers in bigger venues etc. So when you buy the new electronic instruments, you also have to be able to keep up with the other elements of electronics. We also used that instrument for voice overs and had the same problems at many shows.

Either way, it is a double edged sword for the lower corps that don't have the money to keep up with the "joneses".

Donny Allen

Last year Pioneer used a two octave Xylosynth for the timp parts. Electronic problems with conections and such had the corps without that timbre at many shows. I know Timpani are difficult to transport and old drums need to be replaced, but I missed that sound when it wasnt there. That seemed to be too often for me.

Herein lies the dilemna...corps that cant afford to get new timps (or transport carts), or even fix the old ones, do not usually have anyone banging on their door to sponsor them. These are the same corps that cannot afford to buy new electronics that keep up with the higher ranked corps. While there may not have been anything wrong with the actual instrument(Xylosynth)...there were problems because of power source, mixing board, snake, quality and size of speakers in bigger venues etc. So when you buy the new electronic instruments, you also have to be able to keep up with the other elements of electronics. We also used that instrument for voice overs and had the same problems at many shows.

Either way, it is a double edged sword for the lower corps that don't have the money to keep up with the "joneses".

Donny Allen

Amen Brother Donny

As much as I do like timpani, it's not necessary in drum corps for the most part anymore. Bluecoats were more than fine without it last year anyway. I will miss some good timpani (like BD drum solo '09, I thought that was cool). Oh well though. If we lose anything, let it be the timpani.

Kiss it.

You all sound like cheap apologists. There is no excuse you can give here that makes them unique in "losing" them. You can reproduce any sound in DCI and that's part of the problem. Don't give me excuses about price, affordability, space, transportation, finding talent(!), spending too much time instructing on them, etc....Are you serious?

First they came for the timps. Then they replaced the trumpets with saxes. And the Bluecoats were pleased. And Hopkins's poodles gave the saxes a smile.

• Like 3

I haven't had a chance to actually chime in on this topic yet, but you better believe I'm going to... soon. No time right now either. But just know ahead of time as a somewhat recent timpanist, who did it for 7 years in DCI, I'm going to say they can go... for the most part. Hold tight, throw unnecessary fits, blame Hopkins, and I'll explain why later tonight when I have more time.